[Samba] windows clients can't see workgroup at all - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] windows clients can't see workgroup at all - Samba ; I'm trying to troubleshoot a new samba setup on a tiny network, and I'm clearly missing something. I'm running Samba 3.0.22 on Ubuntu Linux. When I first set it up, it seemed to go so smoothly. I changed all the ...

  1. [Samba] windows clients can't see workgroup at all

    I'm trying to troubleshoot a new samba setup on a tiny network, and I'm
    clearly missing something. I'm running Samba 3.0.22 on Ubuntu Linux.

    When I first set it up, it seemed to go so smoothly. I changed all the
    workstations to the same workgroup (RABNETWORK) and they could see each
    other and the server, but they couldn't open anything on the server. I don't
    really understand what the problem is, but I didn't change anything, I gave
    up and went home. Now, none of the workstations can browse the network at
    all. When I click "View workgroup computers" the error I get says that the
    network is not accessible. Even with the server off, the network is not
    accessible (hence my suspicion that samba is not the problem).

    What I can't sort out is what the problem is likely to be. I tried stopping
    the firewall (AVG) altogether, which didn't make a difference. I tried to
    walk through this diagnosis worksheet:
    http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samb...diagnosis.html

    and got the following results:
    1) testparm works
    2) ping by name fails; I can ping the server's IP address from the Windows
    clients, but can't ping the Windows machines from the server.
    3) works: smbclient -L BIGSERVER

    Domain=[BEASTIE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.22]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    homes Disk Home Directories
    print$ Disk Printer Drivers
    Share Drive Disk This is the server.
    tmp Disk temporary files
    IPC$ IPC IPC Service (beastie server (Samba,
    Ubuntu))
    ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (beastie server (Samba,
    Ubuntu))
    amanda Disk Home Directories
    Domain=[BEASTIE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.22]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    RABNETWORK BEASTIE

    4) works: *nmblookup -B BIGSERVER __SAMBA__
    amanda@beastie:~$ nmblookup -B BEASTIE __SAMBA__
    querying __SAMBA__ on 127.0.0.1
    192.168.1.102 __SAMBA__<00>

    *5) fails:* nmblookup -B ACLIENT '*'**
    amanda@beastie:~$ nmblookup -B presta '*'
    querying * on 0.0.0.0
    192.168.1.102 *<00>

    I'm stopping here because it seems pretty clear that the Windows XP client
    machines are hating me.Where do I go from here?

    Thanks,
    Amanda

    *

  2. Re: [Samba] windows clients can't see workgroup at all

    Here are a few things you might try if the samba server is the only server
    on the network. In the smb.conf file make sure
    wins support = yes
    And on the windows computer in the tcp/ip settings add the ip address of
    the server to the wins tab. Then when the servers and other windows
    computers are running check the logs on the server to see if one of the
    windows computers is fighting with the Samba server for browse master on
    the network. If this is happening change the OS level in the smb.conf
    file to make samba win the master browser slot on the network.

    If this samba server is not going to be the wins server
    add these settings to the smb.conf
    wins support = no
    wins server = (192.168.0.2 ip address of your wins server)
    Make sure the wins server ip address is set in the tcp/ip settings

    > I'm trying to troubleshoot a new samba setup on a tiny network, and I'm
    > clearly missing something. I'm running Samba 3.0.22 on Ubuntu Linux.
    >
    > When I first set it up, it seemed to go so smoothly. I changed all the
    > workstations to the same workgroup (RABNETWORK) and they could see each
    > other and the server, but they couldn't open anything on the server. I
    > don't
    > really understand what the problem is, but I didn't change anything, I
    > gave
    > up and went home. Now, none of the workstations can browse the network at
    > all. When I click "View workgroup computers" the error I get says that the
    > network is not accessible. Even with the server off, the network is not
    > accessible (hence my suspicion that samba is not the problem).
    >
    > What I can't sort out is what the problem is likely to be. I tried
    > stopping
    > the firewall (AVG) altogether, which didn't make a difference. I tried to
    > walk through this diagnosis worksheet:
    > http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samb...diagnosis.html
    >
    > and got the following results:
    > 1) testparm works
    > 2) ping by name fails; I can ping the server's IP address from the Windows
    > clients, but can't ping the Windows machines from the server.
    > 3) works: smbclient -L BIGSERVER
    >
    > Domain=[BEASTIE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.22]
    >
    > Sharename Type Comment
    > --------- ---- -------
    > homes Disk Home Directories
    > print$ Disk Printer Drivers
    > Share Drive Disk This is the server.
    > tmp Disk temporary files
    > IPC$ IPC IPC Service (beastie server (Samba,
    > Ubuntu))
    > ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (beastie server (Samba,
    > Ubuntu))
    > amanda Disk Home Directories
    > Domain=[BEASTIE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.22]
    >
    > Server Comment
    > --------- -------
    >
    > Workgroup Master
    > --------- -------
    > RABNETWORK BEASTIE
    >
    > 4) works: *nmblookup -B BIGSERVER __SAMBA__
    > amanda@beastie:~$ nmblookup -B BEASTIE __SAMBA__
    > querying __SAMBA__ on 127.0.0.1
    > 192.168.1.102 __SAMBA__<00>
    >
    > *5) fails:* nmblookup -B ACLIENT '*'**
    > amanda@beastie:~$ nmblookup -B presta '*'
    > querying * on 0.0.0.0
    > 192.168.1.102 *<00>
    >
    > I'm stopping here because it seems pretty clear that the Windows XP client
    > machines are hating me.Where do I go from here?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Amanda
    >
    > *
    > --

  3. Re: [Samba] windows clients can't see workgroup at all