Network novice question. - Routers

This is a discussion on Network novice question. - Routers ; Finally got a wireless connection from the cable modem downstairs to the computer upstairs, Netgear 624 and USB, seems OK. I told #3 son he could connect his laptop when he visits which he did this afternoon. I'm using a ...

  1. Network novice question.

    Finally got a wireless connection from the cable modem downstairs to the
    computer upstairs, Netgear 624 and USB, seems OK.

    I told #3 son he could connect his laptop when he visits which he did
    this afternoon.

    I'm using a unique SSID and a long WPA pass phrase which he entered to
    connect, I gave him these as I have hidden my network.

    The question, when he connects to my router is there any leakage from
    his laptop, i.e. mine is reasonably secure but is his and if it isn't
    what should I do to make it?

    I told you I am a novice.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mike

    Yorkshire Halvard Lange

  2. Re: Network novice question.

    I am not really sure what you mean by leakage, but if you are refering to
    security his lapotop joins a secure network and therefore inaccessable by
    outsiders.

    Hope this helps

    Scott

    "Michael Swift" wrote in message

    > Finally got a wireless connection from the cable modem downstairs to the
    > computer upstairs, Netgear 624 and USB, seems OK.
    >
    > I told #3 son he could connect his laptop when he visits which he did
    > this afternoon.
    >
    > I'm using a unique SSID and a long WPA pass phrase which he entered to
    > connect, I gave him these as I have hidden my network.
    >
    > The question, when he connects to my router is there any leakage from
    > his laptop, i.e. mine is reasonably secure but is his and if it isn't
    > what should I do to make it?
    >
    > I told you I am a novice.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > --
    > Michael Swift We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners.
    > Kirkheaton We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians.
    > Yorkshire Halvard Lange

  3. Re: Network novice question.

    In article , Scott Santorio newyork.com> writes
    >I am not really sure what you mean by leakage, but if you are refering
    >to security his lapotop joins a secure network and therefore
    >inaccessable by outsiders.
    >
    >Hope this helps

    It does, I was just worried his might not be as secure as mine, thanks
    for the reassurance.

    Mike

    Yorkshire Halvard Lange

  4. Re: Network novice question.

    On Oct 5, 12:04 pm, Michael Swift wrote:
    > In article , Scott Santorio > newyork.com> writes
    >
    > >I am not really sure what you mean by leakage, but if you are refering
    > >to security his lapotop joins a secure network and therefore
    > >inaccessable by outsiders.

    > >Hope this helps

    > It does, I was just worried his might not be as secure as mine, thanks
    > for the reassurance.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > --
    > Michael Swift We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners.
    > Kirkheaton We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians.
    > Yorkshire Halvard Lange

    Whenever you are running a wireless network, it is not that secure for
    a really smart hacker. The fact that you are using the SSID with a non-
    default setting is good, and if you turnoff the routers "broadcasting"
    of the SSID helps. You can also consider use MAC address filtering if
    you are not already (after you login to router, you can enter that
    info, but really good hackers can "spoof" that). The WPA encryption is
    better than using the older WEP. WPA changes security keys each
    session, WEP does not. I suppose you may also use a software firewall
    like ZONEALARM.

+ Reply to Thread