How to become my own ISP - Routers

This is a discussion on How to become my own ISP - Routers ; I share my internet with 5 other computers, when a computer reaches 5GBper month I want to be able to Stop them downloading or shape them automatically. I have 2 ADSL2+ Modem/Wireless 4port Router and a switch, 2X PCI wireless ...

  1. How to become my own ISP

    I share my internet with 5 other computers, when a computer reaches 5GBper
    month I want to be able to Stop them downloading or shape them
    automatically.

    I have 2 ADSL2+ Modem/Wireless 4port Router and a switch, 2X PCI wireless
    cards and 2X USBv2 54mbps

    Any ideas off what i need or configure????????? please.

    do i need a server or just a simple hub or switch??????

  2. Re: How to become my own ISP

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:34:39 +1000, "Jason"
    wrote:

    >I share my internet with 5 other computers, when a computer reaches 5GBper
    >month I want to be able to Stop them downloading or shape them
    >automatically.
    >
    >I have 2 ADSL2+ Modem/Wireless 4port Router and a switch, 2X PCI wireless
    >cards and 2X USBv2 54mbps
    >
    >Any ideas off what i need or configure????????? please.
    >
    >do i need a server or just a simple hub or switch??????

    Some routers will let you configure settings like that but servers are
    more common. Problem with a server doing it is everything needs to go
    thru the server. That will slow down your gaming etc a bit.

  3. Re: How to become my own ISP

    Thanks for that, I thought a server may have to be the way to go but if
    there is another way would be great.
    Thank you again f/fgeorge.

    "f/fgeorge" wrote in message
    newsn50g3p1jpnruip23l8v58599dd0b88jr0@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:34:39 +1000, "Jason"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I share my internet with 5 other computers, when a computer reaches 5GBper
    >>month I want to be able to Stop them downloading or shape them
    >>automatically.
    >>
    >>I have 2 ADSL2+ Modem/Wireless 4port Router and a switch, 2X PCI wireless
    >>cards and 2X USBv2 54mbps
    >>
    >>Any ideas off what i need or configure????????? please.
    >>
    >>do i need a server or just a simple hub or switch??????
    >>

    > Some routers will let you configure settings like that but servers are
    > more common. Problem with a server doing it is everything needs to go
    > thru the server. That will slow down your gaming etc a bit.

  4. Re: How to become my own ISP

    Linksys makes a router for business use that gives you the software to
    create a hotspot in your business. The software has capabilities of
    limiting bandwidth and max out limits by MAC address. I am not sure of the
    model number but I know it is one of the business series routers. I have
    not tested this router, I am just going by what I read.

    Scott

    "Jason" wrote in message
    >I share my internet with 5 other computers, when a computer reaches 5GBper
    >month I want to be able to Stop them downloading or shape them
    >automatically.
    >
    > I have 2 ADSL2+ Modem/Wireless 4port Router and a switch, 2X PCI wireless
    > cards and 2X USBv2 54mbps
    >
    > Any ideas off what i need or configure????????? please.
    >
    > do i need a server or just a simple hub or switch??????

+ Reply to Thread