Wireless long range antennas - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless long range antennas - Routers ; I've been experimenting with a couple of long range wireless 2.4 GHz antennas, one 15 dBi and the other 18 dBi, and connecting them to my D-Link WBR -2310 Wireless Router, and I have also tried a smaller 9 dBi ...

  1. Wireless long range antennas

    I've been experimenting with a couple of long range wireless 2.4 GHz
    antennas, one 15 dBi and the other 18 dBi, and connecting them to my D-Link
    WBR -2310 Wireless Router, and I have also tried a smaller 9 dBi antenna.
    They all connect to my router properly and I am not using very much cable (3
    feet of low loss cable). I am not getting any better of a signal with them
    than I am with the original antenna. All of the antennas that I am
    experimenting with are Omni-directional. I am sure they are connected
    properly but I am simply not getting a signal boost for greater range. This
    is very disheartening since I have invested quite a bit on these antennas.
    Any suggestions or maybe something that I am missing. I have tried
    different environments, different frequencies (other than those of other
    wireless networks around me) but my signal range ahs increase noticeably
    enough. Thanks, Bob

  2. Re: Wireless long range antennas

    "Bob Bussiere" wrote in message
    > I've been experimenting with a couple of long range wireless 2.4 GHz
    > antennas, one 15 dBi and the other 18 dBi, and connecting them to my

    D-Link
    > WBR -2310 Wireless Router, and I have also tried a smaller 9 dBi antenna.
    > They all connect to my router properly and I am not using very much cable

    (3
    > feet of low loss cable). I am not getting any better of a signal with

    them
    > than I am with the original antenna. All of the antennas that I am
    > experimenting with are Omni-directional. I am sure they are connected
    > properly but I am simply not getting a signal boost for greater range.

    This
    > is very disheartening since I have invested quite a bit on these antennas.
    > Any suggestions or maybe something that I am missing. I have tried
    > different environments, different frequencies (other than those of other
    > wireless networks around me) but my signal range ahs increase noticeably
    > enough. Thanks, Bob

    Hi
    Could be a lot of things.
    What did you use to record the signal strength being recieved. I use
    netstumbler or other tools.
    It may be the receive end that is the problem. Maybe the receiver in the
    laptop can be replaced as a test.

  3. Re: Wireless long range antennas

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:32:45 -0400, Bob Bussiere wrote:

    > I've been experimenting with a couple of long range wireless 2.4 GHz
    > antennas, one 15 dBi and the other 18 dBi, and connecting them to my D-Link
    > WBR -2310 Wireless Router, and I have also tried a smaller 9 dBi antenna.
    > They all connect to my router properly and I am not using very much cable (3
    > feet of low loss cable). I am not getting any better of a signal with them
    > than I am with the original antenna. All of the antennas that I am
    > experimenting with are Omni-directional. I am sure they are connected
    > properly but I am simply not getting a signal boost for greater range. This
    > is very disheartening since I have invested quite a bit on these antennas.
    > Any suggestions or maybe something that I am missing. I have tried
    > different environments, different frequencies (other than those of other
    > wireless networks around me) but my signal range ahs increase noticeably
    > enough. Thanks, Bob

    Omni high gain antenna's tend to radiate as a
    disk, could it be you are obove or under the
    device you are connecting with?
    Also, the 18 dBi antenna ( seems very high to me )
    will have some "uptilt" iaw radiating not horizontal
    but a fair bit upwards. It can help mounting it upside down.

    Edmund

  4. Re: Wireless long range antennas

    Edmund schreef:
    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:32:45 -0400, Bob Bussiere wrote:
    >
    >> I've been experimenting with a couple of long range wireless 2.4 GHz
    >> antennas, one 15 dBi and the other 18 dBi, and connecting them to my D-Link
    >> WBR -2310 Wireless Router, and I have also tried a smaller 9 dBi antenna.
    >> They all connect to my router properly and I am not using very much cable (3
    >> feet of low loss cable). I am not getting any better of a signal with them
    >> than I am with the original antenna. All of the antennas that I am
    >> experimenting with are Omni-directional. I am sure they are connected
    >> properly but I am simply not getting a signal boost for greater range. This
    >> is very disheartening since I have invested quite a bit on these antennas.
    >> Any suggestions or maybe something that I am missing. I have tried
    >> different environments, different frequencies (other than those of other
    >> wireless networks around me) but my signal range ahs increase noticeably
    >> enough. Thanks, Bob

    > Omni high gain antenna's tend to radiate as a
    > disk,

    Donut is more common term that is used for the radiation pattern,
    of a omni-directional

    > could it be you are obove or under the
    > device you are connecting with?
    > Also, the 18 dBi antenna ( seems very high to me )
    > will have some "uptilt" iaw radiating not horizontal
    > but a fair bit upwards. It can help mounting it upside down.
    >
    > Edmund

    My expierence is, putting the omnidirectional, horizontal, gives better
    reception on a higher/lower floor, even on my atic, in my (old)
    house..(if you're on the same level, put it vertical) i can imagine,if
    you are in a house with much concrete walls, that this could block
    radiation power, try to place the WiFi router at a more accessable
    place, like near a stairwell, or in the middle of your house, or use a
    (or more) range-extender(s), wired or wireless... try to get one, in
    that case, of the same brand, as your WiFi equipment/router is.

    --
    The Fug.

+ Reply to Thread