Switch as "Y"? - Routers

This is a discussion on Switch as "Y"? - Routers ; My Linksys BEFSX41 has all the ethernet output ports in use. I want to hook up a Slingbox(which requires an ethernet connection) in the living room, with my Tivo unit. The Tivo has an ethernet connection from the router. Can ...

  1. Switch as "Y"?

    My Linksys BEFSX41 has all the ethernet output ports in use. I want to
    hook up a Slingbox(which requires an ethernet connection) in the living
    room, with my Tivo unit. The Tivo has an ethernet connection from the
    router. Can I install an ethernet switch at the Tivo to get another
    ethernet connection for the Slingbox? It would be acting as a "Y"
    connector, more or less. Or do I have to install the switch back at the
    router and run another ethernet cable. Or do I have to get another
    router with more outputs...and still run another cable?
    Hope this is clear.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. Re: Switch as "Y"?

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:39:34 -0700, chiefj39 wrote:

    > Can I install an ethernet switch at the Tivo to get another
    > ethernet connection for the Slingbox? It would be acting as a "Y"
    > connector, more or less.

    If I understand you, it should work. I often use a switch to turn one
    ethernet port into many: router splits out via in-wall wiring to several
    rooms. Room with multiple systems has a switch plugged into the wall
    port and the several systems pluged into the switch.

    In test labs with many systems having various configurations I have done
    "cascading" like that to more than one level.

    rcp

  3. Re: Switch as "Y"?

    rcp wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:39:34 -0700, chiefj39 wrote:
    >

    >>Can I install an ethernet switch at the Tivo to get another
    >>ethernet connection for the Slingbox? It would be acting as a "Y"
    >>connector, more or less.

    > If I understand you, it should work. I often use a switch to turn one
    > ethernet port into many: router splits out via in-wall wiring to several
    > rooms. Room with multiple systems has a switch plugged into the wall
    > port and the several systems pluged into the switch.
    >
    > In test labs with many systems having various configurations I have done
    > "cascading" like that to more than one level.
    >
    > rcp

    If your tivo requires an IP address and you have an local network
    established (i.e. a home router) after the modem, then you can use a hub
    to split one RJ45 feed into more than one feed, each device connecting
    to an available port on the hub. But if you have no router, you cannot
    simply split the rj45 into two rj45s. This is becasue the router gives
    each device on hour home network its on IP address using NAT. Its like
    each device address is known only to your particular router, and the
    router will connect any of it's devices to the internet through the WAN
    port. Good luck. (PS your Y configuration may work if only one of the
    two devices (PC or TIVO) is powered up, but if both are powered up then
    neither will make a connection.

  4. Re: Switch as "Y"?

    chiefj39@earthlink.net wrote:

    > My Linksys BEFSX41 has all the ethernet output ports in use. I want to
    > hook up a Slingbox(which requires an ethernet connection) in the living
    > room, with my Tivo unit. The Tivo has an ethernet connection from the
    > router. Can I install an ethernet switch at the Tivo to get another
    > ethernet connection for the Slingbox? It would be acting as a "Y"
    > connector, more or less. Or do I have to install the switch back at the
    > router and run another ethernet cable. Or do I have to get another
    > router with more outputs...and still run another cable?
    > Hope this is clear.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    You can have only one router. However, your one router can have many
    hubs. For example, if you have one wire running from your router to the
    living room, then plug a hub (or "switch" as its now called, but there
    is very little difference - I think that hub is now used to refer to USB
    type hubs, where switch is used for eithernet cat-5 wire with RJ45 plugs
    - the eight wire plug that looks like a large telephone jack). So yes,
    run a cat-5 wire with RJ-45 plugs on each end beginning at a port on
    your linksys router ending in the living room. Then put a switch or hub
    (NOT ANOTHER ROUTER) on the livining room end of the wire. That will do
    it. Here's an optional idea. Since your router ports are full and you
    already have a wire running into the livingroom, you may want to buy a
    switch... so, lets say your router has 5 ports and all are used. Then
    buy yourself an 8 or 16 port switch. Plug the switch into one of the
    router ports and then take all of the other wires and plug them into one
    of the 15 remaining switch ports. Now, if one of those wires goes to
    the livingroom, it will still connect to the internet. However, if you
    need two separate leads into the livingroom, then you will want to go
    with a small switch placed on the livingroom side.

  5. Re: Switch as "Y"?

    chiefj39@earthlink.net wrote:
    > My Linksys BEFSX41 has all the ethernet output ports in use. I want to
    > hook up a Slingbox(which requires an ethernet connection) in the living
    > room, with my Tivo unit. The Tivo has an ethernet connection from the
    > router. Can I install an ethernet switch at the Tivo to get another
    > ethernet connection for the Slingbox? It would be acting as a "Y"
    > connector, more or less.

    Yes.

    > Or do I have to install the switch back at the
    > router and run another ethernet cable. Or do I have to get another
    > router with more outputs...and still run another cable?

    Don't add a router.

    > Hope this is clear.

    Enough.

    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    I did this with one-port (prior set-up) and four port (current set-up)
    routers. I currently have three switches between the router and some
    end points. Four if you count either of the two wireless access points.
    Works fine.

  6. Re: Switch as "Y"?

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:19:02 -0400, DarthOdor wrote:

    > If your tivo requires an IP address and you have an local network
    > established (i.e. a home router) after the modem, then you can use a hub
    > to split one RJ45 feed into more than one feed, each device connecting
    > to an available port on the hub. But if you have no router ...

    True but I'm pretty sure the OP asked about possibly needing "another"
    router so I assume he already has one.

  7. Re: Switch as "Y"?

    rcp wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:19:02 -0400, DarthOdor wrote:
    >

    >>If your tivo requires an IP address and you have an local network
    >>established (i.e. a home router) after the modem, then you can use a hub
    >>to split one RJ45 feed into more than one feed, each device connecting
    >>to an available port on the hub. But if you have no router ...

    > True but I'm pretty sure the OP asked about possibly needing "another"
    > router so I assume he already has one.

    You're soooo right.

  8. Re: Switch as "Y"?

    chiefj39@earthlink.net wrote:
    > My Linksys BEFSX41 has all the ethernet output ports in use. I want to
    > hook up a Slingbox(which requires an ethernet connection) in the living
    > room, with my Tivo unit. The Tivo has an ethernet connection from the
    > router. Can I install an ethernet switch at the Tivo to get another
    > ethernet connection for the Slingbox? It would be acting as a "Y"
    > connector, more or less. Or do I have to install the switch back at the
    > router and run another ethernet cable. Or do I have to get another
    > router with more outputs...and still run another cable?
    > Hope this is clear.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    You can put a switch on the cable to the Tivio and then cables from the
    switch to the Tivo and the Slingbox.
    The only thing to watch is that to connect from the router to the switch
    you will need a crossover. Some switches do this automaticaly and some
    have a switch on one of the ports. Some don't do either so check this
    when you buy the switch. You may have to put a crossover cable between
    the router ( the output of which is a switch) and the switch.

    P.S

    Aren't newsgroups wonderful. You can get so many answers from people who
    don't really know the subject :-)

    Salopian.

  9. Re: Switch as "Y"?

    Thanks to all who responded.