Router Upgrade Question - Routers

This is a discussion on Router Upgrade Question - Routers ; Compaq sr1650nx desktop (Dec 2005) AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200 (2.20 GHz) 2 gb RAM IBM ThinkPad T41 notebook (April 2004) Pent M (1.60 GHz) 512 mb RAM Linksys wireless-B router (BEFW11S4) To date, my wireless network runs fine and ...

  1. Router Upgrade Question

    Compaq sr1650nx desktop (Dec 2005)
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200 (2.20 GHz)
    2 gb RAM

    IBM ThinkPad T41 notebook (April 2004)
    Pent M (1.60 GHz)
    512 mb RAM

    Linksys wireless-B router (BEFW11S4)

    To date, my wireless network runs fine and I'm using Time Warner Cable
    RoadRunner Extreme (up to 10 mbps) service. I have my Compaq desktop wired
    to my Linksys router and my ThinkPad connects wirelessly. I do not
    broadcast my SSID, I use MAC address filtering, and I use Channel 9 since
    most people don't change their default channel.

    My question is would I notice a download speed increase on either computer
    if I upgraded to the Linksys wireless-G router (maybe even the SpeedBooster
    version)? My ThinkPad always shows a 11 mbps wireless connection, whereas
    I'm used to seeing something closer to 54 mbps connections with other
    notebooks and wireless-G router environments. I also believe my 2004
    ThinkPad has an internal wireless-B card so perhaps I'm limited there?

    Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

  2. Re: Router Upgrade Question

    Dell Christopher wrote:
    > Compaq sr1650nx desktop (Dec 2005)
    > AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200 (2.20 GHz)
    > 2 gb RAM
    >
    > IBM ThinkPad T41 notebook (April 2004)
    > Pent M (1.60 GHz)
    > 512 mb RAM
    >
    > Linksys wireless-B router (BEFW11S4)
    >
    > To date, my wireless network runs fine and I'm using Time Warner Cable
    > RoadRunner Extreme (up to 10 mbps) service. I have my Compaq desktop wired
    > to my Linksys router and my ThinkPad connects wirelessly. I do not
    > broadcast my SSID, I use MAC address filtering, and I use Channel 9 since
    > most people don't change their default channel.
    >
    > My question is would I notice a download speed increase on either computer
    > if I upgraded to the Linksys wireless-G router (maybe even the SpeedBooster
    > version)? My ThinkPad always shows a 11 mbps wireless connection, whereas
    > I'm used to seeing something closer to 54 mbps connections with other
    > notebooks and wireless-G router environments. I also believe my 2004
    > ThinkPad has an internal wireless-B card so perhaps I'm limited there?
    >
    > Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

    Have you tried to test your speed by downloading some large files to
    both your desktop and laptop so you can compare whether it would make
    any difference?

  3. Re: Router Upgrade Question

    Downloading large files, no. Speed tests, yes - and many times over the
    last several months (speakeasy.net and dslreports.com). The notebook speed
    is always noticeably lower (~ 3500-4000), whereas the desktop occasionally
    gets close to the 10 mbps mark but mostly ranges between 6-8.

    Interestingly, the upload speed on both is the same (~ 975).

    "Cal Vanize" wrote in message
    > Have you tried to test your speed by downloading some large files to both
    > your desktop and laptop so you can compare whether it would make any
    > difference?

  4. Re: Router Upgrade Question

    Dell Christopher wrote:
    > Downloading large files, no. Speed tests, yes - and many times over the
    > last several months (speakeasy.net and dslreports.com). The notebook speed
    > is always noticeably lower (~ 3500-4000), whereas the desktop occasionally
    > gets close to the 10 mbps mark but mostly ranges between 6-8.
    >
    > Interestingly, the upload speed on both is the same (~ 975).
    >

    > "Cal Vanize" wrote in message
    >> Have you tried to test your speed by downloading some large files to both
    >> your desktop and laptop so you can compare whether it would make any
    >> difference?

    Upload would not be limited by your network bandwidth as much as your
    ISP. ISPs typically cap upload speeds.

    Ssounds like you're probably a candidate for 802.11g. I would have
    suggested 802.11a but most laptops don't have that native support and
    you'd have to get a PCMCIA card for your laptop that supports 802.11a.

    I know a lot of people that have had success with the little Trendnet
    TEW-432BRP 802.11b/g wireless router. Or you could just disable your
    current radio and get a wireless access point.

  5. Re: Router Upgrade Question

    Dell Christopher wrote:

    > Compaq sr1650nx desktop (Dec 2005)
    > AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200 (2.20 GHz)
    > 2 gb RAM
    >
    > IBM ThinkPad T41 notebook (April 2004)
    > Pent M (1.60 GHz)
    > 512 mb RAM
    >
    > Linksys wireless-B router (BEFW11S4)
    >
    > To date, my wireless network runs fine and I'm using Time Warner Cable
    > RoadRunner Extreme (up to 10 mbps) service. I have my Compaq desktop wired
    > to my Linksys router and my ThinkPad connects wirelessly. I do not
    > broadcast my SSID, I use MAC address filtering, and I use Channel 9 since
    > most people don't change their default channel.
    >
    > My question is would I notice a download speed increase on either computer
    > if I upgraded to the Linksys wireless-G router (maybe even the SpeedBooster
    > version)? My ThinkPad always shows a 11 mbps wireless connection, whereas
    > I'm used to seeing something closer to 54 mbps connections with other
    > notebooks and wireless-G router environments. I also believe my 2004
    > ThinkPad has an internal wireless-B card so perhaps I'm limited there?
    >
    > Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

    Absolutely. G is a faster technology then B. N is even faster than G.
    To get the most from your broadband you need the N, cause your wired
    connection is even faster than G technology. However, you need to check
    your PC's for the types of wireless devices that are installed,
    otherwise, you will have to buy a wireless USB device to connect. No
    older computers come with wireless N cards, which is also more expensive
    than G. But B is old. By the way, you need to use WEP-2 encryption to
    be safe with 128 bit encryption.

+ Reply to Thread