outdoor networking - where do I start? - Routers

This is a discussion on outdoor networking - where do I start? - Routers ; Hi I'm involved in running a festival in the UK - we have around 5000 attendees in a large (50+ acres) site. We're considering offering some kind of free wi-fi connectivity on site, and I would be grateful for a ...

  1. outdoor networking - where do I start?

    Hi

    I'm involved in running a festival in the UK - we have around 5000
    attendees in a large (50+ acres) site.

    We're considering offering some kind of free wi-fi connectivity on
    site, and I would be grateful for a little guidance.

    I know that we're not going to get coverage across such a wide area
    and I'm happy to operate a small 'wi-fi' zone.

    My initial thoughts are that once we get the broadband line in, all
    I'll need to do is set up a wireless router without any WEP and allow
    people to access our wi-fi.

    Is this the best way to implement free connectivity?, and if it is can
    anyone recommend a suitable router than has a good range and will be
    able to handle a fair amount of wi-fi connections without too much
    trouble.

    If I'm way off the mark with my thoughts, then any help would be
    really appreciated.

    thanks in advance
    Neil

  2. Re: outdoor networking - where do I start?

    This is an interesting question, definetly many considerations. You
    need overlap in the wireless coverage, yes a dedicated area, although
    50+acres, seems considerable. 5000, eh? Are we talking 10% or so, 25%
    of possible users? Without any WEP sounds fine I guess, but you may
    just add an easy to remember Wep key just to give the feel that there
    access is confidential and encrypted. Regarding coverage again, just
    read about coverage distances, remember that foilage, buildings,
    lakes, etc will reduce this coverage effectivness. Also if you have
    one dedicated area it'll be much easier than getting into bridging
    areas of coverage that are far apart. That may get tricky in terms of
    performance of the wireless bridge. Also G is stronger and farther
    coverage but slower and A is faster but shorter coverage. Just keep it
    simple or else you may get into a mess of other technical issues.

    LC

+ Reply to Thread