Cisco 871 or 877 - Routers

This is a discussion on Cisco 871 or 877 - Routers ; I'm looking into upgrading my connection-dropping, locking up SMC Barricade SMC7004VBR to a Cisco router but I'm confused between the Cisco 871 (CISCO871/K9) vs 877 (CISCO877/K9). My ISP has supplied a DSL modem so I wouldn't think that I would ...

  1. Cisco 871 or 877

    I'm looking into upgrading my connection-dropping, locking up SMC
    Barricade SMC7004VBR to a Cisco router but I'm confused between the
    Cisco 871 (CISCO871/K9) vs 877 (CISCO877/K9). My ISP has supplied a
    DSL modem so I wouldn't think that I would need the aDSL port of the
    877 but my current router is supplying the PPPoE authentication for
    our DSL connection. I think I remember setting up the DSL modem as a
    bridge but I can't remember now...

    My question is do I need the 871 or the 877? Or could I purchase
    either one and config my DSL modem accordingly?

    -Scott

  2. Re: Cisco 871 or 877

    RymCo wrote:
    > I'm looking into upgrading my connection-dropping, locking up SMC
    > Barricade SMC7004VBR to a Cisco router but I'm confused between the
    > Cisco 871 (CISCO871/K9) vs 877 (CISCO877/K9). My ISP has supplied a
    > DSL modem so I wouldn't think that I would need the aDSL port of the
    > 877 but my current router is supplying the PPPoE authentication for
    > our DSL connection. I think I remember setting up the DSL modem as a
    > bridge but I can't remember now...
    >
    > My question is do I need the 871 or the 877? Or could I purchase
    > either one and config my DSL modem accordingly?
    >
    > -Scott

    851 is probably overkill unless you have more than 15 heavy users and 5
    active VPN tunnels at the same time. The 851 can be programmed for
    PPPoE authenticaion.

    A used 831 for $100 on eBay is probably a better deal. Its configured
    with an ethernet port and can be programmed for PPPoE authenticaion.

    Cisco SOHO 91 might be a consideration if you don't need all the heavy
    bells and whistles. And it can be programmed for PPPoE authenticaion.

  3. Re: Cisco 871 or 877

    Thanks for the reply... so I can buy the Ethernet version and still
    supply the PPPoE authentication for the DSL connection.. great!
    I'll look into the other options you suggested... thanks for the help
    -Scott

    > 851 is probably overkill unless you have more than 15 heavy users and 5
    > active VPN tunnels at the same time. The 851 can be programmed for
    > PPPoE authenticaion.
    >
    > A used 831 for $100 on eBay is probably a better deal. Its configured
    > with an ethernet port and can be programmed for PPPoE authenticaion.
    >
    > Cisco SOHO 91 might be a consideration if you don't need all the heavy
    > bells and whistles. And it can be programmed for PPPoE authenticaion.

+ Reply to Thread