best broadband router ??? - Routers

This is a discussion on best broadband router ??? - Routers ; Hello all, I'm having trouble with stability on my USR maxg router, it loses connection etc... I also tried in the past the WRT300N, but the range sucks, half of the time my pc did not find the router. One ...

  1. best broadband router ???

    Hello all,

    I'm having trouble with stability on my USR maxg router, it loses connection
    etc...
    I also tried in the past the WRT300N, but the range sucks, half of the time
    my pc did not find the router.
    One of my first routers was a ASUS WL-500g, this one was nice, good range
    and nice stability (too bad i sold this one for the WRT300N...)

    I would like to have some back-up from you all for my next router.
    I'm using broadband (cable) internet from Telenet (Belgium) and we have 2
    laptops wireless connected.
    The only thing i want is a very stable router with a good range.
    I'm just using the router for visiting internet sites and email, sometimes
    some downloads but not much.
    I would like to keep using the internal wifi card of the pc, so 54g (or
    faster) is oké

    Now it's your turn, what is the best broadband router for me to buy ?
    It does not has to be the latest new router, some older types can do to.

    many thanks !!!

    request placed at following groups :
    alt.comp.networking.routers; alt.internet.wireless;
    de.comp.hardware.netzwerke.wireless

  2. Re: best broadband router ???

    For quality and stability, I like the Buffalo Technology wireless routers.
    My WHR-HP-G54 and WLI-TX4-G54HP have been working well, without calling
    attention to themselves, for monthes.

    I believe that you would have to step up to enterprise level products
    like Cisco's small routers (think big $) to get more reliable service.
    --
    David Arnstein (00)
    arnstein+usenet@pobox.com {{ }}

  3. Re: best broadband router ???

    Tha Snipe wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm having trouble with stability on my USR maxg router, it loses connection
    > etc...
    > I also tried in the past the WRT300N, but the range sucks, half of the time
    > my pc did not find the router.
    > One of my first routers was a ASUS WL-500g, this one was nice, good range
    > and nice stability (too bad i sold this one for the WRT300N...)
    >
    > I would like to have some back-up from you all for my next router.
    > I'm using broadband (cable) internet from Telenet (Belgium) and we have 2
    > laptops wireless connected.
    > The only thing i want is a very stable router with a good range.
    > I'm just using the router for visiting internet sites and email, sometimes
    > some downloads but not much.
    > I would like to keep using the internal wifi card of the pc, so 54g (or
    > faster) is oké
    >
    > Now it's your turn, what is the best broadband router for me to buy ?
    > It does not has to be the latest new router, some older types can do to.
    >
    > many thanks !!!
    >
    > request placed at following groups :
    > alt.comp.networking.routers; alt.internet.wireless;
    > de.comp.hardware.netzwerke.wireless

    We struggled with similar problems for a long time. We had a Linksys
    WAP54G that could have been a lot more stable. Other "loaners" didn't
    perform much better.

    I found a new in sealed box Gateway 7001 that is very stable. Current
    price for a new in sealed box unit is about 1/10th the original retail
    price.

    As an alternative, there are a lot of used Cisco 1121g access points on
    eBay. They are VERY solid, stable, robust and reliable.

    Also consider that if you're only using wireless for internet access,
    would 802.11b with 11 mbs be adequate for your purpose? Cisco 1200B and
    1120B access points are available used in eBay dirt cheap. Check to
    make sure your wireless card is backward compatible with 802.11b (I
    think they all are).

    Some of these solutions are a little more expensive that the current
    crop of home networking toys, but are well worth it since you don't have
    to replace then.

  4. Re: best broadband router ???

    David Arnstein wrote:
    > For quality and stability, I like the Buffalo Technology wireless routers.
    > My WHR-HP-G54 and WLI-TX4-G54HP have been working well, without calling
    > attention to themselves, for monthes.
    >
    > I believe that you would have to step up to enterprise level products
    > like Cisco's small routers (think big $) to get more reliable service.

    Not big bucks on eBay. Some of the Cisco access points are going for
    under $100 used. Cisco 802.11B access points are going used starting
    for about $25 to $40. New ones on auction are going for about 20% to
    40% of full retail.

    Also suggest a Gateway 7001. Enterprise level single radio (802.11 b/g)
    or dual radio (802.11 a/b/g) access point for less than $50 new in box
    (IIRC, retail around $400 before being discontinued).

  5. Re: best broadband router ???

    Either the WRT54GL or any of the buffalo's such as the WHR-HP-G54 or the
    WHR-G54. There are also a couple of new ones, a g125? or something like
    that.. On any of them i'd load DD-WRT firmware.
    Do some reading on the dd-wrt wiki for the right version software to flash
    to the router.

    Adair

    "Tha Snipe" wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm having trouble with stability on my USR maxg router, it loses
    > connection etc...
    > I also tried in the past the WRT300N, but the range sucks, half of the
    > time my pc did not find the router.
    > One of my first routers was a ASUS WL-500g, this one was nice, good range
    > and nice stability (too bad i sold this one for the WRT300N...)
    >
    > I would like to have some back-up from you all for my next router.
    > I'm using broadband (cable) internet from Telenet (Belgium) and we have 2
    > laptops wireless connected.
    > The only thing i want is a very stable router with a good range.
    > I'm just using the router for visiting internet sites and email, sometimes
    > some downloads but not much.
    > I would like to keep using the internal wifi card of the pc, so 54g (or
    > faster) is oké
    >
    > Now it's your turn, what is the best broadband router for me to buy ?
    > It does not has to be the latest new router, some older types can do to.
    >
    > many thanks !!!
    >
    > request placed at following groups :
    > alt.comp.networking.routers; alt.internet.wireless;
    > de.comp.hardware.netzwerke.wireless

  6. Re: best broadband router ???

    "David Arnstein" wrote in message
    > For quality and stability, I like the Buffalo Technology wireless routers.
    > My WHR-HP-G54 and WLI-TX4-G54HP have been working well, without calling
    > attention to themselves, for monthes.

    Curious as to what you mean by the following statement? "Enterprise level
    products" and "Cisco's small routers"? Thanks!

    > I believe that you would have to step up to enterprise level products
    > like Cisco's small routers (think big $) to get more reliable service.

    > --
    > David Arnstein (00)
    > arnstein+usenet@pobox.com {{ }}
    > ^^

  7. Re: best broadband router ???

    In article ,
    JE wrote:
    >Curious as to what you mean by the following statement? "Enterprise level
    >products" and "Cisco's small routers"? Thanks!

    These products are not usually sold to home users because of their cost.
    I would be very pleased to own a Cisco 800 series wireless router, but
    these gadgets cost several hundred dollars each. My Buffalo Tech router
    was about $70, as I recall. You can get prices for a Cisco 851w at
    Amazon.com, among other sites.
    --
    David Arnstein (00)
    arnstein+usenet@pobox.com {{ }}

  8. Re: best broadband router ???

    Thanks. I thought maybe that was what you were referring to.

    > In article ,
    > JE wrote:
    >>Curious as to what you mean by the following statement? "Enterprise level
    >>products" and "Cisco's small routers"? Thanks!

    > These products are not usually sold to home users because of their cost.
    > I would be very pleased to own a Cisco 800 series wireless router, but
    > these gadgets cost several hundred dollars each. My Buffalo Tech router
    > was about $70, as I recall. You can get prices for a Cisco 851w at
    > Amazon.com, among other sites.
    > --
    > David Arnstein (00)
    > arnstein+usenet@pobox.com {{ }}
    > ^^

  9. Re: best broadband router ???

    David Arnstein wrote:
    > In article ,
    > JE wrote:
    >> Curious as to what you mean by the following statement? "Enterprise level
    >> products" and "Cisco's small routers"? Thanks!

    > These products are not usually sold to home users because of their cost.
    > I would be very pleased to own a Cisco 800 series wireless router, but
    > these gadgets cost several hundred dollars each. My Buffalo Tech router
    > was about $70, as I recall. You can get prices for a Cisco 851w at
    > Amazon.com, among other sites.

    Better deal for Cisco 800 series routers on eBay. I got one a couple of
    weeks ago for under $100 and it works great. And bulletproof.

    Used 851W can be purchased on eBay for < $150 (less if you're patient).
    Since Cisco equipment is so good, its likely that even heavily used
    Cisco gear will work perfectly for a long time.

  10. Re: best broadband router ???

    Tha Snipe wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm having trouble with stability on my USR maxg router, it loses
    > connection etc...
    > I also tried in the past the WRT300N, but the range sucks, half of the
    > time my pc did not find the router.
    > One of my first routers was a ASUS WL-500g, this one was nice, good range
    > and nice stability (too bad i sold this one for the WRT300N...)
    >
    > I would like to have some back-up from you all for my next router.
    > I'm using broadband (cable) internet from Telenet (Belgium) and we have 2
    > laptops wireless connected.
    > The only thing i want is a very stable router with a good range.
    > I'm just using the router for visiting internet sites and email, sometimes
    > some downloads but not much.
    > I would like to keep using the internal wifi card of the pc, so 54g (or
    > faster) is oké
    >
    > Now it's your turn, what is the best broadband router for me to buy ?
    > It does not has to be the latest new router, some older types can do to.
    >
    > many thanks !!!
    >
    > request placed at following groups :
    > alt.comp.networking.routers; alt.internet.wireless;
    > de.comp.hardware.netzwerke.wireless

    I'll add my #.02 worth:

    I've worked with/used Cisco in many applications. But, for your needs in an
    enterprise-class mode of service I would highly recommend the Netopia
    3387W-ENT available from provantage.com for about $125 USD new. Provides
    everything you will need and more and is as reliable as they get. My firm
    actually uses them to connect real-time ATMs around the country and they're
    rock solid. FWIW we tried Cisco 8xx's first and they didn't work anywhere
    near as well for 5-8x the price.

    Good luck.

  11. Re: best broadband router ???

    thanks all for these replies ! :-)))

    maybe i did not mention it wright, but i need a wifi router.
    For cisco this wil be aironet i believe.
    They are not cheap but i will search ebay and buy one if the price is in my
    budget
    in time i have found an asus wl-500g deluxe who will do yhe job untill i
    have a cisco.
    how< about the firmware for this asus?
    is the original oké or does somebody have a better firmware ? (link?)

    thx

  12. Re: best broadband router ???

    thanks all for these replies ! :-)))

    maybe i did not mention it wright, but i need a wifi router.
    For cisco this wil be aironet i believe.
    They are not cheap but i will search ebay and buy one if the price is in my
    budget
    in time i have found an asus wl-500g deluxe who will do yhe job untill i
    have a cisco.
    how about the firmware for this asus?
    is the original oké or does somebody have a better firmware ? (link?)

    thx

  13. Re: best broadband router ???

    thanks all for these replies ! :-)))

    maybe i did not mention it wright, but i need a wifi router.
    For cisco this wil be aironet i believe.
    They are not cheap but i will search ebay and buy one if the price is in my
    budget
    in time i have found an asus wl-500g deluxe who will do yhe job untill i
    have a cisco.
    how about the firmware for this asus?
    is the original oké or does somebody have a better firmware ? (link?)

    thx

+ Reply to Thread