My Router is in the way - Routers

This is a discussion on My Router is in the way - Routers ; I am currently trying to open up an SSH tunnel over the internet. One of the problems is that my global IP address is that of my router, not my actual PC. I used the IP address I got off ...

  1. My Router is in the way

    I am currently trying to open up an SSH tunnel over the internet. One
    of the problems is that my global IP address is that of my router, not
    my actual PC. I used the IP address I got off http://whatismyipaddress.com/,
    and it came up with a prompt for my router password.

    I have 2 PC's on my network, one XP, one XP/Ubuntu Linux (this is the
    one for SSH). Also, I think it would be neat to be able to view my
    Apache Website over the 'net. I have a Static IP address. My router is
    a Billion Bipac 5100A (I think).

  2. Re: My Router is in the way

    C0 prattled ceaselessly in
    news:1188890885.166153.156840@19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com:

    > I am currently trying to open up an SSH tunnel over the internet. One
    > of the problems is that my global IP address is that of my router, not
    > my actual PC. I used the IP address I got off
    > http://whatismyipaddress.com/, and it came up with a prompt for my
    > router password.
    >
    > I have 2 PC's on my network, one XP, one XP/Ubuntu Linux (this is the
    > one for SSH). Also, I think it would be neat to be able to view my
    > Apache Website over the 'net. I have a Static IP address. My router is
    > a Billion Bipac 5100A (I think).

    You need to setup port forwarding to forward specific traffic from the
    public connection on your router to your pc on the internal network.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

  3. Re: My Router is in the way

    > You need to setup port forwarding to forward specific traffic from the
    > public connection on your router to your pc on the internal network.

    I have; I think.

    In the 'NAT' section of my router, I have this configured
    Start Port No. End Port No. IP Address
    1 All ports All ports 0.0.0.0
    2 22 22 My.external.ip
    3 80 80 My.external.ip
    4 433 443 My.external.ip

    This is for Apache and SSH

  4. Re: My Router is in the way

    C0 prattled ceaselessly in
    news:1189115773.362847.309900@r34g2000hsd.googlegr oups.com:

    >> You need to setup port forwarding to forward specific traffic from the
    >> public connection on your router to your pc on the internal network.

    > I have; I think.
    >
    > In the 'NAT' section of my router, I have this configured
    > Start Port No. End Port No. IP Address
    > 1 All ports All ports 0.0.0.0
    > 2 22 22 My.external.ip
    > 3 80 80 My.external.ip
    > 4 433 443 My.external.ip
    >
    > This is for Apache and SSH

    Backwards. You need to forward from the oustside to the inside. Where
    you have your external IP, put in the internal IP that is hosting the
    service.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    www.mcngp.com
    "Definitely not wearing any underwear."

  5. Re: My Router is in the way

    > Backwards. You need to forward from the oustside to the inside. Where
    > you have your external IP, put in the internal IP that is hosting the
    > service.

    Still Nada
    My.internal.ip
    In the 'NAT' section of my router, I now have this configured

    Start Port No. End Port No. IP Address
    1 All ports All ports 0.0.0.0
    2 22 22 My.internal.ip
    3 8080 8080 My.internal.ip
    4 433 443 My.internal.ip

    My.internal.ip = my static LAN ip Address on the computer that apache
    and SSH is running on (my Ubuntu one)
    I'm changed port 80 to 8080 because of issues it might have with
    apache and the router running on the same port

    I 'nmap'ed my external ip address, and it only came up with the ports
    the router uses (80 for web configurator, 21 for telnet...)

    when using http://www.canyouseeme.org/ it says it can't see me on any
    of the listed ports.

    Could the problem be that i am only using the 'SUA Only part of NAT?
    there is also a 'Full Feature' Option.

  6. Re: My Router is in the way

    Fixed. (I think)

    I think the reason it was not working was because I was trying to
    observe the external open ports from inside my LAN
    In the 'NAT' section of my router, I now have this configured

    Start Port No. End Port No. IP Address
    1 All ports All ports 0.0.0.0
    2 22 22 My.internal.ip

    on http://www.canyouseeme.org/ it says that 22 is OPEN