No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem - Routers

This is a discussion on No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem - Routers ; Hello, No Internet Dilemma! Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights with his new home networking setup. All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over wireless while having ...

  1. No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

    Hello,

    No Internet Dilemma!

    Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    with his new home networking setup.
    All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    modem.

    So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

    Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...OUTER&doy=21m8

    So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
    wasnt picking
    up an internet connection from it cable modem.

    Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

    Hope to hear from you all soon

    Thanks, Dan

  2. Re: No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

    Le Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:47:58 +0000, danisgod a écrit:

    > Hello,
    >
    > No Internet Dilemma!
    >
    > Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    > with his new home networking setup.
    > All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    > wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    > modem.
    >
    > So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)
    >
    > Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    > Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    >
    > So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    > Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
    > wasnt picking
    > up an internet connection from it cable modem.
    >
    > Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...
    >
    > Hope to hear from you all soon
    >
    > Thanks, Dan

    Hi Dan,

    If this is a new router, you may try to power off the SB4200 ? (by
    removing the power cord, not using the power off/on button, which in
    fact is a sleep button).
    I had a SB4100 and my ISP has set a parameter that told the modem to keep
    the Mac address, so once you have plugged the original network device it
    will keep the mac address of this device and will not accept any other
    device unless a "hard reset" is done by removing the power cord.

    =Gilles=

  3. Re: No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

    danisgod@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > No Internet Dilemma!
    >
    > Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    > with his new home networking setup.
    > All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    > wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    > modem.
    >
    > So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)
    >
    > Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    > Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...OUTER&doy=21m8
    >
    > So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    > Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
    > wasnt picking
    > up an internet connection from it cable modem.
    >
    > Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...
    >
    > Hope to hear from you all soon
    >
    > Thanks, Dan

    I suggest you take a deep breath and start back at square one. You will
    want to have a solid connection to your wireless router. Then you have
    to realize you're now working with a router and all of your devices
    (desktop being one device and laptop being another device) have to
    connect to the surfboard cable modem through the router. If you are
    attempting another type of configuration, it may just work, but I
    suggest connecting the desktop to an available port on the wireless
    router. Run the router set up disk on the desktop pc. Then, power up
    the Visa laptop. The Vista network configuration will give you many
    options, and setting up a dhcp wireless connection is easy to figure
    out. Here's an example of a more complex configuration. My wife's
    laptop, running Vista home premium, connects to my home wireless access
    point using a static IP address as first choice; as a second choice for
    when she is away from home, it searches for any signal and will then
    request to be assigned an IP via DHCP. You will find Visa is much more
    flexible than windows XP when it comes to network configuration options.
    When your notebook connects to a wireless network, open the connection
    manager to see if the connection is being made to "your" wireless router
    and not to your neighbor's wireless router. If my suggestion does not
    work for you, then write back with details about how the devices are
    connected and what you learned while trying to establish a wireless
    connection.

+ Reply to Thread