If I install a switch do I need a router before it? - Routers

This is a discussion on If I install a switch do I need a router before it? - Routers ; I have the need to move to a 16 port switch and was looking at the Linksys EF4116 or EZXS16W. I'm wondering if these switches will handle everything my current router does like DHCP and PPPoE or do I also ...

  1. If I install a switch do I need a router before it?

    I have the need to move to a 16 port switch and was looking at the Linksys
    EF4116 or EZXS16W. I'm wondering if these switches will handle everything my
    current router does like DHCP and PPPoE or do I also need to have a router
    in place to handle it. If I need the router what Linksys router would give
    me what I need and enough throughput?

    Thanks

  2. Re: If I install a switch do I need a router before it?

    >I have the need to move to a 16 port switch and was looking at the Linksys
    >EF4116 or EZXS16W. I'm wondering if these switches will handle everything
    >my current router does like DHCP and PPPoE or do I also need to have a
    >router in place to handle it. If I need the router what Linksys router
    >would give me what I need and enough throughput?
    >
    > Thanks

    Keep your router and put the switch between the router and the computers.

    |)
    |_)en

  3. Re: If I install a switch do I need a router before it?

    I'm wondering if I need to upgrade the router to make sure that it's not the
    bottle neck in the data process. If the switch is set to 200Mps Full Duplex
    will my router be slowing this down? Not that my DSL modem can run that
    fast....

    "Ben" wrote in message
    > >I have the need to move to a 16 port switch and was looking at the
    > >Linksys EF4116 or EZXS16W. I'm wondering if these switches will handle
    > >everything my current router does like DHCP and PPPoE or do I also need
    > >to have a router in place to handle it. If I need the router what Linksys
    > >router would give me what I need and enough throughput?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Keep your router and put the switch between the router and the computers.
    >

    > |)
    > |_)en

  4. Re: If I install a switch do I need a router before it?

    "HotRdd" schreef in bericht
    > I'm wondering if I need to upgrade the router to make sure that it's not
    > the bottle neck in the data process. If the switch is set to 200Mps Full
    > Duplex will my router be slowing this down? Not that my DSL modem can run
    > that fast....
    >

    > "Ben" wrote in message
    >> >I have the need to move to a 16 port switch and was looking at the
    >> >Linksys EF4116 or EZXS16W. I'm wondering if these switches will handle
    >> >everything my current router does like DHCP and PPPoE or do I also need
    >> >to have a router in place to handle it. If I need the router what
    >> >Linksys router would give me what I need and enough throughput?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Keep your router and put the switch between the router and the computers.
    >>

    >> |)
    >> |_)en

    Lan speed is diferent from the internet speed.
    I have an old router, that just works fine on the lan with six computers.

    Try the swicth and replace the router only if you run any problems.

    |)
    |_)en

+ Reply to Thread