DHCP and Static IPs? - Routers

This is a discussion on DHCP and Static IPs? - Routers ; I'm running a Linksys BEFSR41v4, and have run in to a few problems and was wondering if my setup was wrong or if I have a bad router. I've setup the router for DHCP (Range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255) this seems ...

  1. DHCP and Static IPs?

    I'm running a Linksys BEFSR41v4, and have run in to a few problems and was
    wondering if my setup was wrong or if I have a bad router. I've setup the
    router for DHCP (Range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255) this seems to work
    fine with my laptop and other devices that can use the DHCP. BUT if I set my
    laptop to a static IP of 192.168.1.200 I can no longer connect to the inter
    net. I've been trying to connect a few devices to this router that have
    static IP's, I'm able to ping the devices but am not able to connect to
    them. IDEAS...

    It was suggested that if my DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255 that
    the static IP addresses need to be low than 192.168.1.100 is this true? I
    assumed that all devices needed to be within the DHCP range so that all
    computers and devices could see themselves. Thoughts?

  2. Re: DHCP and Static IPs?

    HotRdd wrote:
    > I'm running a Linksys BEFSR41v4, and have run in to a few problems and was
    > wondering if my setup was wrong or if I have a bad router. I've setup the
    > router for DHCP (Range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255) this seems to work
    > fine with my laptop and other devices that can use the DHCP. BUT if I set my
    > laptop to a static IP of 192.168.1.200 I can no longer connect to the inter
    > net. I've been trying to connect a few devices to this router that have
    > static IP's, I'm able to ping the devices but am not able to connect to
    > them. IDEAS...
    >
    > It was suggested that if my DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255 that
    > the static IP addresses need to be low than 192.168.1.100 is this true? I
    > assumed that all devices needed to be within the DHCP range so that all
    > computers and devices could see themselves. Thoughts?

    HotRdd:

    Static IP addresses MUST be outside the range of the DHCP pool, in
    your case 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200. If you think a moment this
    makes perfect sense. The DHCP server has no idea that a STATIC IP
    address has been assigned to some PC on the LAN untill it tries to
    hand out the same address and a conflick arrises.

    Assign anything requiring a static IP an address in the range
    192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.99 and all should be well.

    HTH & GL

    John

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  3. Re: DHCP and Static IPs?

    I know for a fact that we only have about ten PC's using DHCP so they would
    cover 100-110, if the static IP address is around 200 and not used by the
    DHCP server should it still work or must it be outside the DHCP range? Does
    the Static address have to be lower or can it also be higher than the DHCP
    range...

    "John Dulak" wrote in message
    > HotRdd wrote:
    >> I'm running a Linksys BEFSR41v4, and have run in to a few problems and
    >> was wondering if my setup was wrong or if I have a bad router. I've setup
    >> the router for DHCP (Range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255) this seems to
    >> work fine with my laptop and other devices that can use the DHCP. BUT if
    >> I set my laptop to a static IP of 192.168.1.200 I can no longer connect
    >> to the inter net. I've been trying to connect a few devices to this
    >> router that have static IP's, I'm able to ping the devices but am not
    >> able to connect to them. IDEAS...
    >>
    >> It was suggested that if my DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255
    >> that the static IP addresses need to be low than 192.168.1.100 is this
    >> true? I assumed that all devices needed to be within the DHCP range so
    >> that all computers and devices could see themselves. Thoughts?

    > HotRdd:
    >
    > Static IP addresses MUST be outside the range of the DHCP pool, in your
    > case 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200. If you think a moment this makes
    > perfect sense. The DHCP server has no idea that a STATIC IP address has
    > been assigned to some PC on the LAN untill it tries to hand out the same
    > address and a conflick arrises.
    >
    > Assign anything requiring a static IP an address in the range
    > 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.99 and all should be well.
    >
    > HTH & GL
    >
    > John
    >
    > --
    > \\\||///
    > ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------
    > ----------------------------()--------------------------
    > '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''
    >
    > John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  4. Re: DHCP and Static IPs?

    HotRdd wrote:
    > I know for a fact that we only have about ten PC's using DHCP so they would
    > cover 100-110, if the static IP address is around 200 and not used by the
    > DHCP server should it still work or must it be outside the DHCP range? Does
    > the Static address have to be lower or can it also be higher than the DHCP
    > range...

    HotRdd:

    When DHCP is configured typically there is a place to define the
    "pool" or range of IP addresses that will be made available via DHCP.
    Aything *outside* of that range (But still in the same subnet as
    defined by the "Netmask" value) can be used as a static IP address.

    Most systems default to a Netmask of 255.255.255.0 Meaning that you
    will have all 255 possible addresses available on that segment of the
    LAN.

    Good Luck

    John

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------
    '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  5. Re: DHCP and Static IPs?

    Thanks, I'll give it a try

    "John Dulak" wrote in message
    > HotRdd wrote:
    >> I know for a fact that we only have about ten PC's using DHCP so they
    >> would cover 100-110, if the static IP address is around 200 and not used
    >> by the DHCP server should it still work or must it be outside the DHCP
    >> range? Does the Static address have to be lower or can it also be higher
    >> than the DHCP range...
    >>

    > HotRdd:
    >
    > When DHCP is configured typically there is a place to define the "pool" or
    > range of IP addresses that will be made available via DHCP. Aything
    > *outside* of that range (But still in the same subnet as defined by the
    > "Netmask" value) can be used as a static IP address.
    >
    > Most systems default to a Netmask of 255.255.255.0 Meaning that you will
    > have all 255 possible addresses available on that segment of the LAN.
    >
    > Good Luck
    >
    > John
    >

    > --
    > \\\||///
    > ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------
    > ----------------------------()--------------------------
    > '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''
    >
    > John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  6. Re: DHCP and Static IPs?

    What do you have for a Gateway and DNS address. Usually you can use the
    routers internal I.P address as the Gateway and DNS. Put your ISP's DNS as
    2nd DNS address.

    Thanks,
    Bruce

    "HotRdd" wrote in message
    > I'm running a Linksys BEFSR41v4, and have run in to a few problems and was
    > wondering if my setup was wrong or if I have a bad router. I've setup the
    > router for DHCP (Range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255) this seems to work
    > fine with my laptop and other devices that can use the DHCP. BUT if I set
    > my laptop to a static IP of 192.168.1.200 I can no longer connect to the
    > inter net. I've been trying to connect a few devices to this router that
    > have static IP's, I'm able to ping the devices but am not able to connect
    > to them. IDEAS...
    >
    > It was suggested that if my DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255
    > that the static IP addresses need to be low than 192.168.1.100 is this
    > true? I assumed that all devices needed to be within the DHCP range so
    > that all computers and devices could see themselves. Thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread