Help setting up an access to my pc - Routers

This is a discussion on Help setting up an access to my pc - Routers ; Hi everyone, I want to be able to access my pc from anywhere and I am trying to do 2 things: a) get access via a port forwarding and using dyndns; b) establish a VPN connection. I have a AVR-8000 ...

  1. Help setting up an access to my pc

    Hi everyone,

    I want to be able to access my pc from anywhere and I am trying to do 2
    things: a) get access via a port forwarding and using dyndns; b) establish a
    VPN connection.

    I have a AVR-8000 DSL modem/router (1 port) that is connected to a Netgear
    FVS318.

    My problems are:
    Option a) seems to be working but when I access my computer, I asm asked for
    the dsl modem/router password and then it takes me to the dsl modem/router
    configuration. My netgear router allows me to introduce the DSL password and
    username, should I be able to let the router connect via the modem (which
    now will be just a modem device) or should I try to forward from the
    modem/router to the netgear router and then to the PC?

    Option b) my netgear router apparently supports vpn, but I am not sure how
    to make it. would I be able to access my network from anywhere or will I
    need a special VPN client software?

    Thanks in advance guys.

    PA

  2. Re: Help setting up an access to my pc

    You should ge a free logmein account
    and you won't have to worry about opening ports or having a static I.P. and
    it works really well with 256 bit encryption.
    Go to http://logmein.com and try it out.

    Thanks,
    Bruce

    "PA" wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I want to be able to access my pc from anywhere and I am trying to do 2
    > things: a) get access via a port forwarding and using dyndns; b) establish
    > a VPN connection.
    >
    > I have a AVR-8000 DSL modem/router (1 port) that is connected to a Netgear
    > FVS318.
    >
    > My problems are:
    > Option a) seems to be working but when I access my computer, I asm asked
    > for the dsl modem/router password and then it takes me to the dsl
    > modem/router configuration. My netgear router allows me to introduce the
    > DSL password and username, should I be able to let the router connect via
    > the modem (which now will be just a modem device) or should I try to
    > forward from the modem/router to the netgear router and then to the PC?
    >
    > Option b) my netgear router apparently supports vpn, but I am not sure how
    > to make it. would I be able to access my network from anywhere or will I
    > need a special VPN client software?
    >
    > Thanks in advance guys.
    >
    > PA

+ Reply to Thread