Netgear WGR614 V6 Firmware upgrade problem - Routers

This is a discussion on Netgear WGR614 V6 Firmware upgrade problem - Routers ; Ok, if someone can help me here I would reeeeeeally appreciate it because I'm totally at a loss!! A little bit about my infastructure first of all: I am using an iBurst Wireless modem, plugged into a Netgear WGR614 v6 ...

  1. Netgear WGR614 V6 Firmware upgrade problem

    Ok, if someone can help me here I would reeeeeeally appreciate it
    because I'm totally at a loss!!

    A little bit about my infastructure first of all:

    I am using an iBurst Wireless modem, plugged into a Netgear WGR614 v6
    Router.

    Now I've never had any problems with this set up before, but at the
    weekend I was having some problems (irrelevant to this discussion) and
    decided to upgrade the firmware on the Netgear. I upgraded to the most
    recent firmware version 2.0.19 1.0.19. The upgrade appeared to
    complete without any issues - and the router status is showing that
    the 'new' firmware is in place.

    Ever since then I have been unable to get internet access through the
    Netgear router - either via wifi or by ethernet cable.

    If I connect via ethernet directly to the iBurst modem - I can connect
    without any problem

    If I connect the iBurst to the Netgear, the Netgear status shows
    'connected' and even gives me my iBurst IP address via DHCP.

    I can obviously connect wirelessly or via cable to the Netgear too -
    so where is the issue???!

    Steps I've taken so far:

    - deleted ALL settings in Netgear
    - reloaded the firmware (twice!)
    - reloaded the original firmware (twice!)

    I've also:

    - turned off windows firewall
    - turned off antivirus
    - removed all security from the Netgear router - no WEP or WPA, no
    firewall settings etc etc - simply the connection settings.

    Anybody got any ideas?? HELP!

  2. Re: Netgear WGR614 V6 Firmware upgrade problem

    "Oli" wrote in message
    news:1181023478.093183.180100@j4g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    > Ok, if someone can help me here I would reeeeeeally appreciate it
    > because I'm totally at a loss!!
    >
    > A little bit about my infastructure first of all:
    >
    > I am using an iBurst Wireless modem, plugged into a Netgear WGR614 v6
    > Router.
    >
    > Now I've never had any problems with this set up before, but at the
    > weekend I was having some problems (irrelevant to this discussion) and
    > decided to upgrade the firmware on the Netgear. I upgraded to the most
    > recent firmware version 2.0.19 1.0.19. The upgrade appeared to
    > complete without any issues - and the router status is showing that
    > the 'new' firmware is in place.
    >
    > Ever since then I have been unable to get internet access through the
    > Netgear router - either via wifi or by ethernet cable.
    >
    > If I connect via ethernet directly to the iBurst modem - I can connect
    > without any problem
    >
    > If I connect the iBurst to the Netgear, the Netgear status shows
    > 'connected' and even gives me my iBurst IP address via DHCP.
    >
    > I can obviously connect wirelessly or via cable to the Netgear too -
    > so where is the issue???!
    >
    > Steps I've taken so far:
    >
    > - deleted ALL settings in Netgear
    > - reloaded the firmware (twice!)
    > - reloaded the original firmware (twice!)
    >
    > I've also:
    >
    > - turned off windows firewall
    > - turned off antivirus
    > - removed all security from the Netgear router - no WEP or WPA, no
    > firewall settings etc etc - simply the connection settings.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas?? HELP!

    Maybe you need to clone the MAC address of your computer. Some ISP's require
    you to register a MAC address when you open your account, and will only
    allow internet access to that address. If your ISP is using the MAC address
    of the NIC in your computer, then you need to use this MAC address in your
    router. See page 37 of your user manual.

  3. Re: Netgear WGR614 V6 Firmware upgrade problem

    Thanks XYZ

    I'll check that and give it a go, however this worked perfectly prior
    to the firmware upgrade with no MAC address specified, so I do not
    think this is the issue. Thanks for your help though - I'll certainly
    give it a try and report back.

    Regards
    Oli

  4. Re: Netgear WGR614 V6 Firmware upgrade problem

    Hi

    I checked with my ISP and I do not need to register a MAC address so
    this is a not go. Any other ideas?

    Thanks
    Oli

  5. Re: Netgear WGR614 V6 Firmware upgrade problem

    "Oli" wrote in message
    news:1181199022.078685.229620@r19g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...

    > Hi
    >
    > I checked with my ISP and I do not need to register a MAC address so
    > this is a not go. Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Oli

    I really don't know any thing about Iburst modems, but they seem to need
    routers that are certified compliant. I know the Netgear router you're using
    is certified, but maybe the new firmware isn't. You could try an older
    version of the firmware and see if that fixes your problems.

  6. Re: Netgear WGR614 V6 Firmware upgrade problem

    "Oli" wrote in message
    news:1181023478.093183.180100@j4g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    > Ok, if someone can help me here I would reeeeeeally appreciate it
    > because I'm totally at a loss!!
    >
    > A little bit about my infastructure first of all:
    >
    > I am using an iBurst Wireless modem, plugged into a Netgear WGR614 v6
    > Router.
    >
    > Now I've never had any problems with this set up before, but at the
    > weekend I was having some problems (irrelevant to this discussion) and
    > decided to upgrade the firmware on the Netgear. I upgraded to the most
    > recent firmware version 2.0.19 1.0.19. The upgrade appeared to
    > complete without any issues - and the router status is showing that
    > the 'new' firmware is in place.
    >
    > Ever since then I have been unable to get internet access through the
    > Netgear router - either via wifi or by ethernet cable.
    >
    > If I connect via ethernet directly to the iBurst modem - I can connect
    > without any problem
    >
    > If I connect the iBurst to the Netgear, the Netgear status shows
    > 'connected' and even gives me my iBurst IP address via DHCP.
    >
    > I can obviously connect wirelessly or via cable to the Netgear too -
    > so where is the issue???!
    >
    > Steps I've taken so far:
    >
    > - deleted ALL settings in Netgear
    > - reloaded the firmware (twice!)
    > - reloaded the original firmware (twice!)
    >
    > I've also:
    >
    > - turned off windows firewall
    > - turned off antivirus
    > - removed all security from the Netgear router - no WEP or WPA, no
    > firewall settings etc etc - simply the connection settings.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas?? HELP!

    Rule of thumb: Only upgrade firmware if the upgrade is designed to fix
    a problem you have.

    --
    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  7. Re: Netgear WGR614 V6 Firmware upgrade problem

    Hi Travis,

    Very good advice and definately something I'll adhere to going
    forwards!!! I guess I learnt that the hard way.

    Anyhow, you will be pleased to know the issue is now resolved. This is
    what I did:

    First of all I erased all current settings on the Netgear router
    Then I help down the factory reset button to ensure all settings and
    memory was removed.
    I then reloaded the most recent firmware
    then erased all settings and ran factory reset again (possibly not
    necessary!)
    With no security etc, I set up the internet settings and this allowed
    me for the first time to surf the net via cable - but not wirelessly.
    I then found that the wireless channel had changed - it was set to 9
    (presumably the default on this firmware version) when I had
    previously been using 11. I changed and saved this and immediately was
    able to connect wirelessly.
    I then added all my other settings and security back into the router.
    Job done, case closed! Thanks for everyones assistance.

+ Reply to Thread