Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones? - Routers

This is a discussion on Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones? - Routers ; A phenomenon has occurred at an elderly relative's house where wireless Internet service was just installed. Two perfectly fine RCA headsets used to amp up the volume (partially deaf) have stopped working. I wouldn't perceive a connection to interference if ...

  1. Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    A phenomenon has occurred at an elderly relative's house where
    wireless Internet service was just installed. Two perfectly fine RCA
    headsets used to amp up the volume (partially deaf) have stopped
    working. I wouldn't perceive a connection to interference if both
    didn't konk out after a "MyEssentials" router (Belkin?) was installed
    with the wireless internet service.

    You plug the headphones into the outlet; they power on for thirty
    seconds max--then go completely dead.

    I noticed that any VOIP activity (cordless phones) interrupts the
    router. At first I thought it might be a faulty cable modem, but the
    cable folk gave us a new modem to see if that was the source of the
    VOIP interrupts. I plan to take the router back today for some other
    brand.

    So before I go out and buy two new headphones, I want to know if
    something beside normal wear-and-tear, and weird coincidence, could be
    responsible for both crashing at the same time.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    wrote in message
    news:1180778573.993057.235360@w5g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >A phenomenon has occurred at an elderly relative's house where
    > wireless Internet service was just installed. Two perfectly fine RCA
    > headsets used to amp up the volume (partially deaf) have stopped
    > working. I wouldn't perceive a connection to interference if both
    > didn't konk out after a "MyEssentials" router (Belkin?) was installed
    > with the wireless internet service.
    >
    > You plug the headphones into the outlet; they power on for thirty
    > seconds max--then go completely dead.
    >
    > I noticed that any VOIP activity (cordless phones) interrupts the
    > router. At first I thought it might be a faulty cable modem, but the
    > cable folk gave us a new modem to see if that was the source of the
    > VOIP interrupts. I plan to take the router back today for some other
    > brand.
    >
    > So before I go out and buy two new headphones, I want to know if
    > something beside normal wear-and-tear, and weird coincidence, could be
    > responsible for both crashing at the same time.

    Lots of wireless stuff uses the 2.4ghz band and causes all kinds of
    interferience.

    --
    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    skrev i melding
    news:1180778573.993057.235360@w5g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >A phenomenon has occurred at an elderly relative's house where
    > wireless Internet service was just installed. Two perfectly fine RCA
    > headsets used to amp up the volume (partially deaf) have stopped
    > working. I wouldn't perceive a connection to interference if both
    > didn't konk out after a "MyEssentials" router (Belkin?) was installed
    > with the wireless internet service.
    >
    > You plug the headphones into the outlet; they power on for thirty
    > seconds max--then go completely dead.
    >
    > I noticed that any VOIP activity (cordless phones) interrupts the
    > router. At first I thought it might be a faulty cable modem, but the
    > cable folk gave us a new modem to see if that was the source of the
    > VOIP interrupts. I plan to take the router back today for some other
    > brand.
    >
    > So before I go out and buy two new headphones, I want to know if
    > something beside normal wear-and-tear, and weird coincidence, could be
    > responsible for both crashing at the same time.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi.
    Wireless uses often the 2.4 GHz band, but you can change the channel on most
    of these devises. If you can't change the channel on the headphones, I'm
    sure you can do it on the router.

    Karl-Olav Nyberg

  4. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    On Jun 2, 11:25 am, "Karl-Olav Nyberg" wrote:

    > Wireless uses often the 2.4 GHz band, but you can change the channel on most
    > of these devises. If you can't change the channel on the headphones, I'm
    > sure you can do it on the router.

    Thank, both.

  5. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    Yep, the cordless is on the same frequency as the Router, you could change
    router channel to try and cut down interfertece. When the wife chats on the
    cordless telephophone, the daughter's laptop loseses the router's wireless
    connection ......

    wrote in message
    news:1180778573.993057.235360@w5g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >A phenomenon has occurred at an elderly relative's house where
    > wireless Internet service was just installed. Two perfectly fine RCA
    > headsets used to amp up the volume (partially deaf) have stopped
    > working. I wouldn't perceive a connection to interference if both
    > didn't konk out after a "MyEssentials" router (Belkin?) was installed
    > with the wireless internet service.
    >
    > You plug the headphones into the outlet; they power on for thirty
    > seconds max--then go completely dead.
    >
    > I noticed that any VOIP activity (cordless phones) interrupts the
    > router. At first I thought it might be a faulty cable modem, but the
    > cable folk gave us a new modem to see if that was the source of the
    > VOIP interrupts. I plan to take the router back today for some other
    > brand.
    >
    > So before I go out and buy two new headphones, I want to know if
    > something beside normal wear-and-tear, and weird coincidence, could be
    > responsible for both crashing at the same time.
    >
    > Thanks.

  6. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    On Jun 3, 4:36 pm, "Charles Ishimoto"
    wrote:
    > Yep, the cordless is on the same frequency as the Router, you could change
    > router channel to try and cut down interfertece. When the wife chats on the
    > cordless telephophone, the daughter's laptop loseses the router's wireless
    > connection ......

    The problem is my MyEssentials router came with no instructions on how
    to do this. If anyone reading knows how to change the channel, I'd
    appreciate hearing.

  7. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    mutefan@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Jun 3, 4:36 pm, "Charles Ishimoto"
    > wrote:
    >> Yep, the cordless is on the same frequency as the Router, you could change
    >> router channel to try and cut down interfertece. When the wife chats on the
    >> cordless telephophone, the daughter's laptop loseses the router's wireless
    >> connection ......

    > The problem is my MyEssentials router came with no instructions on how
    > to do this. If anyone reading knows how to change the channel, I'd
    > appreciate hearing.

    Mutefan:

    Try Here:

    http://www.myessentialssupport.com/s...1004-R_man.pdf

    HTH & GL

    John

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  8. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    On Jun 4, 7:32 am, John Dulak wrote:

    > Try Here:
    >
    > http://www.myessentialssupport.com/s...l/P75284_ME100...
    >
    > HTH & GL

    Thanks, John. I found an old Telnet-style URL and looked around, but
    I don't know what to change. Maybe the competing 2.4GH phones have to
    be gotten rid of. That'll mean the router will cost way more than the
    great deal ($29) I spent at one of the three big office supply chains
    for it.

  9. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    > I don't know what to change. Maybe the competing 2.4GH phones have to
    > be gotten rid of. That'll mean the router will cost way more than the
    > great deal ($29) I spent at one of the three big office supply chains
    > for it.

    I changed channels (to Channel 6, if anyone reads this who has a
    MyEssentials router). I don't see how this will keep two 2.4GH
    systems from competing.

  10. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    mutefan@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I don't know what to change. Maybe the competing 2.4GH phones have to
    >> be gotten rid of. That'll mean the router will cost way more than the
    >> great deal ($29) I spent at one of the three big office supply chains
    >> for it.

    > I changed channels (to Channel 6, if anyone reads this who has a
    > MyEssentials router). I don't see how this will keep two 2.4GH
    > systems from competing.

    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...ifichannel.htm

    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/972261

    http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/2point4freq.cfm

    John

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------
    '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  11. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    On Jun 4, 7:39 pm, John Dulak wrote:
    > mute...@yahoo.com wrote:

    > > I changed channels (to Channel 6, if anyone reads this who has a
    > > MyEssentials router). I don't see how this will keep two 2.4GH
    > > systems from competing.

    > http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...ifichannel.htm
    >
    > http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/972261
    >
    > http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/2point4freq.cfm

    Thank you! I didn't bother asking the MyEssentials' support tech
    because their Eastern Asian accents are so heavily inflected I could
    barely understand the little he told me. (No politics intended; just
    stating the facts.)

  12. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    mutefan@yahoo.com hath wroth:

    >I changed channels (to Channel 6, if anyone reads this who has a
    >MyEssentials router). I don't see how this will keep two 2.4GH
    >systems from competing.

    I don't know if you missed my previous posting, but your wireless
    headset is 900MHz while your cordless phone is apparently on 2.4Ghz.
    There should be no interence. My best guess is that the Belkin is
    radiating some RF junk on 900MHz.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  13. Re: Can Routers Ruin Wireless Headphones?

    Sorry, systems crash, had to restore operating system and computer. The
    cordless telephones should have switches. Let the routers work on the
    secondary channels. Trying to restore systems, it is actually easier to
    delete information and start from square zero.

    Lean - mean computer, but bio-memmory kicks in, I needed that.....

    "Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
    > mutefan@yahoo.com hath wroth:
    >
    >>I changed channels (to Channel 6, if anyone reads this who has a
    >>MyEssentials router). I don't see how this will keep two 2.4GH
    >>systems from competing.

    > I don't know if you missed my previous posting, but your wireless
    > headset is 900MHz while your cordless phone is apparently on 2.4Ghz.
    > There should be no interence. My best guess is that the Belkin is
    > radiating some RF junk on 900MHz.
    >

    > --
    > Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    > Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    > Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

+ Reply to Thread