Increasing signal on VoIP? - Routers

This is a discussion on Increasing signal on VoIP? - Routers ; Does any one know if unlocking a RTP300 using one of the open firmwares out there would have the effect of letting me increase the signal please? I know it lets you do this on a WiFi router but my ...

  1. Increasing signal on VoIP?

    Does any one know if unlocking a RTP300 using one of the open firmwares out
    there would have the effect of letting me increase the signal please? I know
    it lets you do this on a WiFi router but my formerly OK signal on Vonage has
    got so bad that I can no longer use the service. ( I use and have always
    used two telephones on this line. Vonage says that there is not enough
    signal to power a splitter!)

    Vonage didn't have any solutions but did say that after a year of use, the
    box became mine, implying that I can do with it what I like

    I had been reluctant to do this in the past as there was a rumour going
    around that if you unlock a Vonage box they will no longer assist you in
    putting their settings back in. But I suspect that is a threat and given the
    choice between working with you and letting you go to BroadVoice with their
    box and asking Broadvoice to assist you to put the settings in the box, they
    might mysteriously change their tune?

  2. Re: Increasing signal on VoIP?

    "news.rcn.com" wrote in message
    > Does any one know if unlocking a RTP300 using one of the open
    > firmwares out there would have the effect of letting me increase the
    > signal please? I know it lets you do this on a WiFi router but my
    > formerly OK signal on Vonage has got so bad that I can no longer use
    > the service. ( I use and have always used two telephones on this line.
    > Vonage says that there is not enough signal to power a splitter!)
    >
    > Vonage didn't have any solutions but did say that after a year of use,
    > the box became mine, implying that I can do with it what I like
    >
    > I had been reluctant to do this in the past as there was a rumour
    > going around that if you unlock a Vonage box they will no longer
    > assist you in putting their settings back in. But I suspect that is a
    > threat and given the choice between working with you and letting you
    > go to BroadVoice with their box and asking Broadvoice to assist you to
    > put the settings in the box, they might mysteriously change their
    > tune?

    If there isn't enough power to run 2 wired telephones from the Vonage
    box there isn't much you can do about it.

    --
    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: becoming OT

    "T r a v i s" wrote in message
    > "news.rcn.com" wrote in message

    > If there isn't enough power to run 2 wired telephones from the Vonage box
    > there isn't much you can do about it.

    Yes, Unfortunately I have to agree that this seems to make sense. (I was
    hoping it didnt)

    Perceived wisdom seems to be that this is caused by a problem with the
    packet delivery somewhere along the (long) line between my router and
    Vonage's servers. Curiously this Vonage problem didnt start to manifest
    itself until I had been using their service successfully for nearly a year.

    I wonder if I can improve the situation if I change over to another VoIP
    service?
    > --
    > Travis in Shoreline Washington

+ Reply to Thread