Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup - Routers ; I did a hard reset on the WRT54G v5 Linksys router by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds. After this, the manual says it is supposed to reset the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1 ; however I am unable ...

  1. Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup

    I did a hard reset on the WRT54G v5 Linksys router by holding down the
    reset button for 30 seconds. After this, the manual says it is
    supposed to reset the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1 ; however I am
    unable to access the Router setup page. It either goes to a Firmware
    Upgrade page, or "page cannot be displayed". Either way, I cannot get
    to the correct router setup page to enter all the settings.
    Has anybody seen this issue before? Thanks.

  2. Re: Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup

    You can try and see if this works. Other wise try clearing your browser
    cache.
    http://192.168.1.1/basic.htm

    "Rich" wrote in message
    news:1179090434.303012.158140@y80g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
    >I did a hard reset on the WRT54G v5 Linksys router by holding down the
    > reset button for 30 seconds. After this, the manual says it is
    > supposed to reset the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1 ; however I am
    > unable to access the Router setup page. It either goes to a Firmware
    > Upgrade page, or "page cannot be displayed". Either way, I cannot get
    > to the correct router setup page to enter all the settings.
    > Has anybody seen this issue before? Thanks.

  3. Re: Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup

    On May 13, 7:34 pm, "xyz" wrote:
    > You can try and see if this works. Other wise try clearing your browser
    > cache.http://192.168.1.1/basic.htm
    >
    > "Rich" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1179090434.303012.158140@y80g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
    >

    > >I did a hard reset on the WRT54G v5 Linksys router by holding down the
    > > reset button for 30 seconds. After this, the manual says it is
    > > supposed to reset the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1 ; however I am
    > > unable to access the Router setup page. It either goes to a Firmware
    > > Upgrade page, or "page cannot be displayed". Either way, I cannot get
    > > to the correct router setup page to enter all the settings.
    > > Has anybody seen this issue before? Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

    This didn't work...Apparently the firmware got messed up during an
    upgrade or something. The firmware update apps from Linksys can't
    communicate with the router either. So not sure what to do at this
    point....

  4. Re: Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup

    well, if you can get to the firmware upgrade page, I'd use it to upgrade the
    firmware - download the latest firmware for the model and version and do the
    upgrade - hopefully then, the reset will work once again.

    Dave.

    "Rich" wrote in message
    news:1179184606.729265.135560@e65g2000hsc.googlegr oups.com...
    > On May 13, 7:34 pm, "xyz" wrote:
    >> You can try and see if this works. Other wise try clearing your browser
    >> cache.http://192.168.1.1/basic.htm
    >>
    >> "Rich" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1179090434.303012.158140@y80g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
    >>

    >> >I did a hard reset on the WRT54G v5 Linksys router by holding down the
    >> > reset button for 30 seconds. After this, the manual says it is
    >> > supposed to reset the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1 ; however I am
    >> > unable to access the Router setup page. It either goes to a Firmware
    >> > Upgrade page, or "page cannot be displayed". Either way, I cannot get
    >> > to the correct router setup page to enter all the settings.
    >> > Has anybody seen this issue before? Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

    > This didn't work...Apparently the firmware got messed up during an
    > upgrade or something. The firmware update apps from Linksys can't
    > communicate with the router either. So not sure what to do at this
    > point....

  5. Re: Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup

    In article <1179090434.303012.158140@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    Rich wrote:

    > I did a hard reset on the WRT54G v5 Linksys router by holding down the
    > reset button for 30 seconds. After this, the manual says it is
    > supposed to reset the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1 ; however I am
    > unable to access the Router setup page. It either goes to a Firmware
    > Upgrade page, or "page cannot be displayed". Either way, I cannot get
    > to the correct router setup page to enter all the settings.
    > Has anybody seen this issue before? Thanks.

    I just went through a hellish week trying to regain my wireless access
    after my provider did maintenance on their servers (the Linksys could
    not obtain an IP address afterwards). I often encountered the problem of
    not being able to contact the wrt54g's webserver. Most of the time the
    problem was with my computer settings (I can easily switch back and
    forth between PPoE and TCP/IP), but sometimes I needed to disconnect the
    router from the DSL modem and power cycle the router before I could
    connect again. I don't know why.

    Finally, someone at my provider's telephone support mentioned that
    Linksys had recommended that users of this ISP upgrade their firmware by
    downloading file 1.02.0.

    Once I did that everything worked fine again.

    My main beef now is with my ISP, who should send out warnings when they
    are going to do disruptive maintenance.

    The reason I am posting this here is in hope of someone being able to
    tell me what exactly that firmware upgrade did to my router. Will the
    firmware need re-installation if I hard reset the router?

    TIA for any info.

  6. Re: Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup

    wrote in message
    > In article <1179090434.303012.158140@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    > Rich wrote:

    SNIP

    > The reason I am posting this here is in hope of someone being able to
    > tell me what exactly that firmware upgrade did to my router. Will the
    > firmware need re-installation if I hard reset the router?
    >
    > TIA for any info.

    Once the firmware upgrade is installed it overwrites the eeprom programming
    IC inside the router, so the old version is gone forever.

  7. Re: Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup

    In article ,
    "Tim Thomas" wrote:

    > wrote in message
    > > In article <1179090434.303012.158140@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    > > Rich wrote:
    > >

    > SNIP
    >

    > > The reason I am posting this here is in hope of someone being able to
    > > tell me what exactly that firmware upgrade did to my router. Will the
    > > firmware need re-installation if I hard reset the router?
    > >
    > > TIA for any info.

    > Once the firmware upgrade is installed it overwrites the eeprom programming
    > IC inside the router, so the old version is gone forever.

    Thx for the info. I suspected as much.

    Do you know if on the WRT54G's webserver there is a device list? I have
    an ethernet printer hooked up and I'd like to make sure everything is
    showing up as it should. Plus, since I have only two ports left on the
    router, I'm thinking of adding a hub (a really nice multiport,
    self-powered, backbone-capable one I picked up for practically nothing
    at an auction after the Internet crash in the late nineties) for more IP
    devices. It would be great to have a central place to find info on the
    attached devices.

    Also, I have heard that those who are comfortable with Unix (not to say
    "Unix weenies" :-) can perform some amazing feats with Linksys routers--
    but not with all models. So far, I haven't even found any way to speak
    CLUI to the router. Is the WRT54G configurable with Unix commands?

  8. Re: Linksys WRT54G router reset, now unable to access setup

    wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Tim Thomas" wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in message
    >> > In article <1179090434.303012.158140@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    >> > Rich wrote:
    >> >

    >> SNIP
    >>

    >> > The reason I am posting this here is in hope of someone being able to
    >> > tell me what exactly that firmware upgrade did to my router. Will the
    >> > firmware need re-installation if I hard reset the router?
    >> >
    >> > TIA for any info.

    >> Once the firmware upgrade is installed it overwrites the eeprom
    >> programming
    >> IC inside the router, so the old version is gone forever.

    > Thx for the info. I suspected as much.
    >
    > Do you know if on the WRT54G's webserver there is a device list? I have
    > an ethernet printer hooked up and I'd like to make sure everything is
    > showing up as it should. Plus, since I have only two ports left on the
    > router, I'm thinking of adding a hub (a really nice multiport,
    > self-powered, backbone-capable one I picked up for practically nothing
    > at an auction after the Internet crash in the late nineties) for more IP
    > devices. It would be great to have a central place to find info on the
    > attached devices.
    >
    > Also, I have heard that those who are comfortable with Unix (not to say
    > "Unix weenies" :-) can perform some amazing feats with Linksys routers--
    > but not with all models. So far, I haven't even found any way to speak
    > CLUI to the router. Is the WRT54G configurable with Unix commands?

    Under the tabs: status=>local Network there's a DHCP client table button. It
    lists the client host name, IP address, mac address and expire date of all
    the active IP addresses on your LAN.

+ Reply to Thread