Westell 6100 modem and a switch - Routers

This is a discussion on Westell 6100 modem and a switch - Routers ; I had a nightmare of a problem trying to get a Verizon provided Westell 6100 wired mode to work with a LinkSys router- after many hours of talking to Verizon and LinkSys tech with no luck- somebody in another newsgroup ...

  1. Westell 6100 modem and a switch

    I had a nightmare of a problem trying to get a Verizon provided Westell 6100
    wired mode to work with a LinkSys router- after many hours of talking to
    Verizon and LinkSys tech with no luck- somebody in another newsgroup
    suggested that I'd be better off returning the router and getting a switch
    because the modem actually has a router in it.

    So, now I have this LinkSys 5-port workgroup switch which came with no
    instructions as if--- nobody who isn't a network wizard would even think of
    buying such an item and if so, then you wouldn't need any instructions.

    So, I'm visualizing what to do- turn everything off- then plug the modem
    into the switch then the switch into my "main computer"- and that computer
    will be online as if connected to just the modem- then plug other computers
    into the switch? Does this just all work plug and play? If so, and they do
    work with online access- will they also then be automatically networked so I
    can move files around? My only networking experience is a peer-to-peer with
    2 computers.

    It would be nice if these items came with instructions.

    Joe

  2. Re: Westell 6100 modem and a switch

    Joe wrote:
    > I had a nightmare of a problem trying to get a Verizon provided Westell
    > 6100 wired mode to work with a LinkSys router- after many hours of
    > talking to Verizon and LinkSys tech with no luck- somebody in another
    > newsgroup suggested that I'd be better off returning the router and
    > getting a switch because the modem actually has a router in it.
    >
    > So, now I have this LinkSys 5-port workgroup switch which came with no
    > instructions as if--- nobody who isn't a network wizard would even think
    > of buying such an item and if so, then you wouldn't need any instructions.
    >
    > So, I'm visualizing what to do- turn everything off- then plug the modem
    > into the switch then the switch into my "main computer"- and that
    > computer will be online as if connected to just the modem- then plug
    > other computers into the switch? Does this just all work plug and play?
    > If so, and they do work with online access- will they also then be
    > automatically networked so I can move files around? My only networking
    > experience is a peer-to-peer with 2 computers.
    >
    > It would be nice if these items came with instructions.
    >
    > Joe

    Joe:

    Go to the LinkSys web site and download the user manual (in PDF
    format)for your EXACT model. They make a LOT of different switches.
    Try here for a start:

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

    Select your product from the drop down menu.

    Yes switches mostly just get plugged in and run. "Managed" switches
    have some other options but will work "Out Of The Box".

    John

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/3an63f

  3. Re: Westell 6100 modem and a switch

    Joe wrote:
    > I had a nightmare of a problem trying to get a Verizon provided Westell
    > 6100 wired mode to work with a LinkSys router- after many hours of
    > talking to Verizon and LinkSys tech with no luck- somebody in another
    > newsgroup suggested that I'd be better off returning the router and
    > getting a switch because the modem actually has a router in it.
    >
    > So, now I have this LinkSys 5-port workgroup switch which came with no
    > instructions as if--- nobody who isn't a network wizard would even think
    > of buying such an item and if so, then you wouldn't need any instructions.
    >
    > So, I'm visualizing what to do- turn everything off- then plug the modem
    > into the switch then the switch into my "main computer"- and that
    > computer will be online as if connected to just the modem- then plug
    > other computers into the switch? Does this just all work plug and play?
    > If so, and they do work with online access- will they also then be
    > automatically networked so I can move files around? My only networking
    > experience is a peer-to-peer with 2 computers.
    >
    > It would be nice if these items came with instructions.
    >
    > Joe

    Joe:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...es_of_switches

    HTH

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------
    '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/3an63f

  4. Re: Westell 6100 modem and a switch

    "Joe" wrote in message news:6Z41i.26$CQ4.17@trndny06...
    >I had a nightmare of a problem trying to get a Verizon provided Westell
    >6100 wired mode to work with a LinkSys router- after many hours of
    >talking to Verizon and LinkSys tech with no luck- somebody in another
    >newsgroup suggested that I'd be better off returning the router and
    >getting a switch because the modem actually has a router in it.
    >
    > So, now I have this LinkSys 5-port workgroup switch which came with no
    > instructions as if--- nobody who isn't a network wizard would even
    > think of buying such an item and if so, then you wouldn't need any
    > instructions.
    >
    > So, I'm visualizing what to do- turn everything off- then plug the
    > modem into the switch then the switch into my "main computer"- and
    > that computer will be online as if connected to just the modem- then
    > plug other computers into the switch? Does this just all work plug and
    > play? If so, and they do work with online access- will they also then
    > be automatically networked so I can move files around? My only
    > networking experience is a peer-to-peer with 2 computers.

    The instructions are right here: http://tinyurl.com/s5wjc.

    I have purchased several Linksys products and have always received
    instructions in the box.

    Did the switch come with a CD? The instructions are probably also on
    the CD.

    --
    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  5. Re: Westell 6100 modem and a switch

    "Travis M." wrote in message
    > "Joe" wrote in message news:6Z41i.26$CQ4.17@trndny06...
    >>I had a nightmare of a problem trying to get a Verizon provided Westell
    >>6100 wired mode to work with a LinkSys router- after many hours of
    >>talking to Verizon and LinkSys tech with no luck- somebody in another
    >>newsgroup suggested that I'd be better off returning the router and
    >>getting a switch because the modem actually has a router in it.
    >>
    >> So, now I have this LinkSys 5-port workgroup switch which came with no
    >> instructions as if--- nobody who isn't a network wizard would even think
    >> of buying such an item and if so, then you wouldn't need any
    >> instructions.
    >>
    >> So, I'm visualizing what to do- turn everything off- then plug the modem
    >> into the switch then the switch into my "main computer"- and that
    >> computer will be online as if connected to just the modem- then plug
    >> other computers into the switch? Does this just all work plug and play?
    >> If so, and they do work with online access- will they also then be
    >> automatically networked so I can move files around? My only networking
    >> experience is a peer-to-peer with 2 computers.

    > The instructions are right here: http://tinyurl.com/s5wjc.
    >
    > I have purchased several Linksys products and have always received
    > instructions in the box.
    >
    > Did the switch come with a CD? The instructions are probably also on the
    > CD.
    >
    > --
    > Travis in Shoreline Washington

    It came with the "user guide" but not the "quick installation" instructions-
    and no CD. Their routers do come with a CD as I tried one and returned it.

    In a Verizon newsgroup for DSL- one guy has the same setup and he's been
    having trouble getting it to network though the DSL online access for each
    computer works.

    Joe

  6. Re: Westell 6100 modem and a switch

    "John Dulak" wrote in message
    > Joe wrote:
    >> I had a nightmare of a problem trying to get a Verizon provided Westell
    >> 6100 wired mode to work with a LinkSys router- after many hours of
    >> talking to Verizon and LinkSys tech with no luck- somebody in another
    >> newsgroup suggested that I'd be better off returning the router and
    >> getting a switch because the modem actually has a router in it.
    >>
    >> So, now I have this LinkSys 5-port workgroup switch which came with no
    >> instructions as if--- nobody who isn't a network wizard would even think
    >> of buying such an item and if so, then you wouldn't need any
    >> instructions.
    >>
    >> So, I'm visualizing what to do- turn everything off- then plug the modem
    >> into the switch then the switch into my "main computer"- and that
    >> computer will be online as if connected to just the modem- then plug
    >> other computers into the switch? Does this just all work plug and play?
    >> If so, and they do work with online access- will they also then be
    >> automatically networked so I can move files around? My only networking
    >> experience is a peer-to-peer with 2 computers.
    >>
    >> It would be nice if these items came with instructions.
    >>
    >> Joe

    > Joe:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...es_of_switches
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > \\\||///
    > ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------
    > ----------------------------()--------------------------
    > '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''
    >
    > John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/3an63f

    Wow, that Wikipedia item is intense. BTW, I'm not familiar with your tinyurl
    URL- how does that turn into a much bigger URL?

    Joe

  7. Re: Westell 6100 modem and a switch

    Joe wrote:

    > Wow, that Wikipedia item is intense. BTW, I'm not familiar with your
    > tinyurl URL- how does that turn into a much bigger URL?
    >
    > Joe

    Joe;

    http://tinyurl.com/

    --
    \\\||///
    '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/3an63f

  8. Re: Westell 6100 modem and a switch

    It is a free redirection service. Go to www.tinyurl.com.

    --