"Acquiring Network Address" - I can't get past this message - Routers

This is a discussion on "Acquiring Network Address" - I can't get past this message - Routers ; I have a desktop and a laptop connected to a linksys modem and a linksys wireless-g broadband router. My desktop works fine and my laptop works fine if I have it connected to the router via an ethernet cable. If ...

  1. "Acquiring Network Address" - I can't get past this message

    I have a desktop and a laptop connected to a linksys modem and a linksys
    wireless-g broadband router.
    My desktop works fine and my laptop works fine if I have it connected to the
    router via an ethernet cable.
    If I disconnect the cable and just trying connecting using wireless, I get
    the "acquiring network address" message.
    If I click on "repair", I get the same thing. My signal strength is high
    and the laptop actually connects wirelessly, but I just cannot get a valid
    IP Address.

    I did some research on google and tried the following suggestions:
    -run the "network setup wizard"
    -run the program "WinSock XP Fix"
    -manually assign the ip address and other settings instead of letting it
    happen automatically
    -reset settings using the following commands:
    -- netsh winsock reset catalog
    -- netsh int ip reset reset.log

    I found the following post from someone that claims this worked, but I am
    not sure how he did what he said he did:
    ------------------
    1. I accessed my wireless router via my router's software, deleted my
    wireless network and created a new one.
    2. My laptop was able to connect to it, and life was back to normal."
    ------------------

    Does anyone have any ideas on how to get past this problem?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: "Acquiring Network Address" - I can't get past this message

    On Sun, 6 May 2007 13:09:23 -0400, "raoh" wrote:

    >I have a desktop and a laptop connected to a linksys modem and a linksys
    >wireless-g broadband router.
    >My desktop works fine and my laptop works fine if I have it connected to the
    >router via an ethernet cable.
    >If I disconnect the cable and just trying connecting using wireless, I get
    >the "acquiring network address" message.
    >If I click on "repair", I get the same thing. My signal strength is high
    >and the laptop actually connects wirelessly, but I just cannot get a valid
    >IP Address.
    >
    >I did some research on google and tried the following suggestions:
    >-run the "network setup wizard"
    >-run the program "WinSock XP Fix"
    >-manually assign the ip address and other settings instead of letting it
    >happen automatically
    >-reset settings using the following commands:
    >-- netsh winsock reset catalog
    >-- netsh int ip reset reset.log
    >
    >I found the following post from someone that claims this worked, but I am
    >not sure how he did what he said he did:
    >------------------
    >1. I accessed my wireless router via my router's software, deleted my
    >wireless network and created a new one.
    >2. My laptop was able to connect to it, and life was back to normal."
    >------------------
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas on how to get past this problem?
    >
    >Thanks,

    Did you turn on MAC filtering or WEP security?

  3. Re: "Acquiring Network Address" - I can't get past this message

    "f/fgeorge" wrote in message

    > Did you turn on MAC filtering or WEP security?

    Ok, I got it working.

    I disabled the encryption, reconnected to the wireless router and it worked.
    I then enabled encryption and then reconnected and it still works.

    Not sure why this fixed it.

  4. Re: "Acquiring Network Address" - I can't get past this message

    On Sun, 6 May 2007 17:25:10 -0400, "J" wrote:

    >"f/fgeorge" wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Did you turn on MAC filtering or WEP security?

    >Ok, I got it working.
    >
    >I disabled the encryption, reconnected to the wireless router and it worked.
    >I then enabled encryption and then reconnected and it still works.
    >
    >Not sure why this fixed it.

    Sometimes the order of things is very important.

+ Reply to Thread