Connection problems - Routers

This is a discussion on Connection problems - Routers ; Hi Trying to sort out a problem on a HP laptop. Router is a Wireless Belkin 1001UK which is working 100% The laptop will not connect to the internet. Wireless networks connection dialogue box reports the connection requires a network ...

  1. Connection problems

    Hi

    Trying to sort out a problem on a HP laptop.

    Router is a Wireless Belkin 1001UK which is working 100%

    The laptop will not connect to the internet. Wireless networks
    connection dialogue box reports the connection requires a network key
    (wpa) but also shows the connection 'Connected'. Pressing the disconnect
    button results in the connection searching for a network, finding the
    Belkin and immediately reporting the machine 'Connected'. The wireless
    networking icon is showing trying to get it's IP address from the router
    but never being able to.

    This happens even though I have changed the WPA key and re-booted the
    router several times.

    How can the machine report that it is connected without the correct WPA
    key being entered?

    I have tried another laptop on the same connection and each time the
    network key is changed the machine finds the network, reports that a key
    is required, when the new key is inserted the machine gets its IP
    address quickly and then reports 'Connected', the internet can then be
    accessed.

    Any help greatly appreciated

    Martyn

    ******remove the 'holyman' to defeat the spam trap******

  2. Re: Connection problems

    Hello,

    Maybe your problem is linked to the fact that WPA has different flavours
    (TKPI or AES).
    The configuration on each of your PC should match the configuration on your
    router.

    If this is your problem, one of the PC is correctly configured the other is
    not. Check in the wireless connection properties of the wireless network
    your trying to connect to.

    --

    h2so4
    play triogical at http://www.triogical.com
    "Count de Monet" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Trying to sort out a problem on a HP laptop.
    >
    > Router is a Wireless Belkin 1001UK which is working 100%
    >
    > The laptop will not connect to the internet. Wireless networks connection
    > dialogue box reports the connection requires a network key (wpa) but also
    > shows the connection 'Connected'. Pressing the disconnect button results
    > in the connection searching for a network, finding the Belkin and
    > immediately reporting the machine 'Connected'. The wireless networking
    > icon is showing trying to get it's IP address from the router but never
    > being able to.
    >
    > This happens even though I have changed the WPA key and re-booted the
    > router several times.
    >
    > How can the machine report that it is connected without the correct WPA
    > key being entered?
    >
    > I have tried another laptop on the same connection and each time the
    > network key is changed the machine finds the network, reports that a key
    > is required, when the new key is inserted the machine gets its IP address
    > quickly and then reports 'Connected', the internet can then be accessed.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated
    >
    > Martyn
    >
    > ******remove the 'holyman' to defeat the spam trap******

  3. Re: Connection problems

    "Count de Monet" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Trying to sort out a problem on a HP laptop.
    >
    > Router is a Wireless Belkin 1001UK which is working 100%
    >
    > The laptop will not connect to the internet. Wireless networks connection
    > dialogue box reports the connection requires a network key (wpa) but also
    > shows the connection 'Connected'. Pressing the disconnect button results
    > in the connection searching for a network, finding the Belkin and
    > immediately reporting the machine 'Connected'. The wireless networking
    > icon is showing trying to get it's IP address from the router but never
    > being able to.
    >
    > This happens even though I have changed the WPA key and re-booted the
    > router several times.
    >
    > How can the machine report that it is connected without the correct WPA
    > key being entered?
    >
    > I have tried another laptop on the same connection and each time the
    > network key is changed the machine finds the network, reports that a key
    > is required, when the new key is inserted the machine gets its IP address
    > quickly and then reports 'Connected', the internet can then be accessed.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated
    >
    > Martyn

    Hello,

    Maybe your problem is linked to the fact that WPA has different flavours
    (TKPI or AES).
    The configuration on each of your PC should match the configuration on your
    router.

    If this is your problem, one of the PC is correctly configured the other is
    not. Check in the wireless connection properties of the wireless network
    your trying to connect to.

    --

    h2so4
    play triogical at http://www.triogical.com