ip-169.xxx.xxx.xxx - Routers

This is a discussion on ip-169.xxx.xxx.xxx - Routers ; HP laptop WinXP links to router via CAT5 or WIFI, but does not receive an ip from the router (dynamic ip). Link lights are on. Several other systems, (xp and 2k and 98se) have connectivity. Yes, have checked cable, switch ...

  1. ip-169.xxx.xxx.xxx

    HP laptop WinXP links to router via CAT5 or WIFI, but does not
    receive an ip from the router (dynamic ip). Link lights are
    on. Several other systems, (xp and 2k and 98se) have
    connectivity.
    Yes, have checked cable, switch port, client and tcp/ip for
    both links. Wifi can receive a signal from the router and it
    can see adjoining offices in the wifi list.
    Setting fixed ip is no-joy.
    With and without Zonealarm.
    I would suspect the adapter but CAT5 and WIFI ??????
    Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

  2. Re: ip-169.xxx.xxx.xxx

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 23:56:20 -0500, Xenon wrote:

    >HP laptop WinXP links to router via CAT5 or WIFI, but does not
    >receive an ip from the router (dynamic ip). Link lights are
    >on. Several other systems, (xp and 2k and 98se) have
    >connectivity.
    >Yes, have checked cable, switch port, client and tcp/ip for
    >both links. Wifi can receive a signal from the router and it
    >can see adjoining offices in the wifi list.
    >Setting fixed ip is no-joy.
    >With and without Zonealarm.
    >I would suspect the adapter but CAT5 and WIFI ??????
    >Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

    Are you saying you are trying to set a fixed IP from a router? If so
    the router must be setup to work with those. Try going dynamic on the
    laptop first then switch to fixed. There are a ton of settings and the
    laptop will have to be restarted after alot of them. If another pc is
    working and getting a number just fine, as you say they are, then
    restart the laptop in an area that you know has a good signal. If it
    still doesn't work there is a ton of trial and error settings to go
    thru, do a right click on the icon near the clock and tell Windows to
    find the wireless network, go into network neighborhood and set
    everything to the defaults, that would be dynamic IP address. Go into
    IE and go to tools, internet options, connections, lan settings, put a
    check in the automatically detect settings. After everything is
    working you can uncheck this box for a faster connection.

  3. Re: ip-169.xxx.xxx.xxx

    f/fgeorge wrote in

    > On Thu, 03 May 2007 23:56:20 -0500, Xenon wrote:
    >
    >>HP laptop WinXP links to router via CAT5 or WIFI, but does

    not
    >>receive an ip from the router (dynamic ip). Link lights are
    >>on. Several other systems, (xp and 2k and 98se) have
    >>connectivity.
    >>Yes, have checked cable, switch port, client and tcp/ip for
    >>both links. Wifi can receive a signal from the router and

    it
    >>can see adjoining offices in the wifi list.
    >>Setting fixed ip is no-joy.
    >>With and without Zonealarm.
    >>I would suspect the adapter but CAT5 and WIFI ??????
    >>Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

    > Are you saying you are trying to set a fixed IP from a

    router? If so
    > the router must be setup to work with those. Try going

    dynamic on the
    > laptop first then switch to fixed. There are a ton of

    settings and the
    > laptop will have to be restarted after alot of them. If

    another pc is
    > working and getting a number just fine, as you say they are,

    then
    > restart the laptop in an area that you know has a good

    signal. If it
    > still doesn't work there is a ton of trial and error

    settings to go
    > thru, do a right click on the icon near the clock and tell

    Windows to
    > find the wireless network, go into network neighborhood and

    set
    > everything to the defaults, that would be dynamic IP

    address. Go into
    > IE and go to tools, internet options, connections, lan

    settings, put a
    > check in the automatically detect settings. After everything

    is
    > working you can uncheck this box for a faster connection.

    Thanks for the input George.
    I should have been clearer about my steps.
    I can see the 169.xxx ip in "ipconfig".
    This happens with Cat5 or with wifi.
    I am using dynamic ip not fixed!
    Lets rule out wifi for now. I have it turned off
    using cat5 only. Again the link lights are on for the
    sw port and on the laptop.
    The other systems run ok both here and at the office.
    I see the same thing in both locations.
    In Lan settings "auto detect" is set.

  4. Re: ip-169.xxx.xxx.xxx

    Xenon wrote in
    news:d4edneeypK8xvaHbnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@giganews.com :

    > f/fgeorge wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 03 May 2007 23:56:20 -0500, Xenon wrote:
    >>
    >>>HP laptop WinXP links to router via CAT5 or WIFI, but does

    > not
    >>>receive an ip from the router (dynamic ip). Link lights are
    >>>on. Several other systems, (xp and 2k and 98se) have
    >>>connectivity.
    >>>Yes, have checked cable, switch port, client and tcp/ip for
    >>>both links. Wifi can receive a signal from the router and

    > it
    >>>can see adjoining offices in the wifi list.
    >>>Setting fixed ip is no-joy.
    >>>With and without Zonealarm.
    >>>I would suspect the adapter but CAT5 and WIFI ??????
    >>>Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

    >> Are you saying you are trying to set a fixed IP from a

    > router? If so
    >> the router must be setup to work with those. Try going

    > dynamic on the
    >> laptop first then switch to fixed. There are a ton of

    > settings and the
    >> laptop will have to be restarted after alot of them. If

    > another pc is
    >> working and getting a number just fine, as you say they are,

    > then
    >> restart the laptop in an area that you know has a good

    > signal. If it
    >> still doesn't work there is a ton of trial and error

    > settings to go
    >> thru, do a right click on the icon near the clock and tell

    > Windows to
    >> find the wireless network, go into network neighborhood and

    > set
    >> everything to the defaults, that would be dynamic IP

    > address. Go into
    >> IE and go to tools, internet options, connections, lan

    > settings, put a
    >> check in the automatically detect settings. After everything

    > is
    >> working you can uncheck this box for a faster connection.
    >>

    > Thanks for the input George.
    > I should have been clearer about my steps.
    > I can see the 169.xxx ip in "ipconfig".
    > This happens with Cat5 or with wifi.
    > I am using dynamic ip not fixed!
    > Lets rule out wifi for now. I have it turned off
    > using cat5 only. Again the link lights are on for the
    > sw port and on the laptop.
    > The other systems run ok both here and at the office.
    > I see the same thing in both locations.
    > In Lan settings "auto detect" is set.
    >

    >The IP address you are seeing is and RFC3927 address, used by DHCP enabled

    hosts, who can't obtain an IP address from a DHCP server.
    It is called the "link local" block. It is allocated for communication
    between hosts on a single link. Hosts obtain these addresses by auto-
    configuration, such as when a DHCP server may not be found.

    I hope this helps you...

    Cheers,
    Lars

  5. Re: ip-169.xxx.xxx.xxx

    "Lars L. Christensen" wrote in
    news:Xns992768A658D8larsperseusdkmaybefo@217.74.20 8.69:

    > Xenon wrote in
    > news:d4edneeypK8xvaHbnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@giganews.com :
    >
    >> f/fgeorge wrote in

    >> not

    are

    for

    >> it
    >>> Are you saying you are trying to set a fixed IP from a

    >> router? If so
    >>> the router must be setup to work with those. Try going

    >> dynamic on the
    >>> laptop first then switch to fixed. There are a ton of

    >> settings and the
    >>> laptop will have to be restarted after alot of them. If

    >> another pc is
    >>> working and getting a number just fine, as you say they

    are,
    >> then
    >>> restart the laptop in an area that you know has a good

    >> signal. If it
    >>> still doesn't work there is a ton of trial and error

    >> settings to go
    >>> thru, do a right click on the icon near the clock and tell

    >> Windows to
    >>> find the wireless network, go into network neighborhood

    and
    >> set
    >>> everything to the defaults, that would be dynamic IP

    >> address. Go into
    >>> IE and go to tools, internet options, connections, lan

    >> settings, put a
    >>> check in the automatically detect settings. After

    everything
    >> is
    >>> working you can uncheck this box for a faster connection.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the input George.
    >> I should have been clearer about my steps.
    >> I can see the 169.xxx ip in "ipconfig".
    >> This happens with Cat5 or with wifi.
    >> I am using dynamic ip not fixed!
    >> Lets rule out wifi for now. I have it turned off
    >> using cat5 only. Again the link lights are on for the
    >> sw port and on the laptop.
    >> The other systems run ok both here and at the office.
    >> I see the same thing in both locations.
    >> In Lan settings "auto detect" is set.
    >>

    >>The IP address you are seeing is and RFC3927 address, used

    by DHCP
    >>enabled

    > hosts, who can't obtain an IP address from a DHCP server.
    > It is called the "link local" block. It is allocated for

    communication
    > between hosts on a single link. Hosts obtain these addresses

    by auto-
    > configuration, such as when a DHCP server may not be found.
    >
    > I hope this helps you...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Lars

    I understand about the "link local block".
    It would seem obvious that the client is not seeing
    the dhcp server, in this case the router.
    Since I started this thread, I suspected a winsock
    problem so I ran a small routine called Winsockfix.exe.
    It re-establish the links and all is well.
    Thanks for all input!