Wake on Lan through Office connect - Routers

This is a discussion on Wake on Lan through Office connect - Routers ; Hi All I have a quick question regarding WOL through an office connect router. I have a 3Com office connect ADSL router, model 3CRWDR100A-72. I have tried to issue a Wake On Lan command remotely, to power up my server. ...

  1. Wake on Lan through Office connect

    Hi All

    I have a quick question regarding WOL through an office connect router.

    I have a 3Com office connect ADSL router, model 3CRWDR100A-72. I have tried
    to issue a Wake On Lan command remotely, to power up my server. This did
    not work. I can see from the logs, that the magic packet was received, but
    to no avail.

    I have set up port forwarding using port 9 UDP to my internal IP. Now, as
    this should actually work with the MAC address, I am not sure how this
    router will find the correct path. I have also tried to broadcast to the
    subnet, but hte firewall does not allow x.x.x.255 to be entered. I don't
    see anywhere where I can bind the IP address to a MAC either.

    Any ideas how I would be able to accomplish this?

    Thanks in advance!
    Leo

  2. Re: Wake on Lan through Office connect

    Hi Leo,

    Wake-On-Lan over the internet requires that you're able to broadcast the
    magic packet to the broadcast address of your internal network. As you
    said, most simple routers can't forward traffic to the 255 address for your
    x.x.x.x/24 network, so you may have to consider a small office grade router
    to get the job done. I have a Cisco SOHO 91 that I got about 5 years ago
    specifically so I could finally get WOL working over the internet. If you
    happen upgrade to a router that can do it, here are a couple of important
    tips:

    First, you have to enable IP directed broadcast on the inside interface -
    this can actually make you vulnerable to broadcast attacks and it's really
    not recommended, but like I said, I've been doing it for 5 years and have
    never had a problem. Here's what it looks like on the inside interface of
    my Cisco:

    interface Ethernet0
    ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
    ip directed-broadcast
    ip nat inside
    no cdp enable
    hold-queue 32 in

    Next you'll need the port forwarding rule, I have nat running so I just use
    a static route. I use udp port 7 for the magic packet, here's the format:

    ip nat inside source static udp 10.10.10.255 7 interface Ethernet1 7

    And that's all there is to it when you have a router that can do ip directed
    broadcasts - other than that it might be impossible to get the magic packet
    to pass. By the way, there is a WEALTH of wake-on-lan and WOL over the
    internet on the Depicus site, maybe you can find it helpful.
    http://www.depicus.com I actually use his WOL over the Internet ASP page to
    wake my computer up - it's really good for testing too, you can send the
    packet from the internet over and over while you're testing...

    Jay.

    "Leo" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have a quick question regarding WOL through an office connect router.
    >
    > I have a 3Com office connect ADSL router, model 3CRWDR100A-72. I have
    > tried
    > to issue a Wake On Lan command remotely, to power up my server. This did
    > not work. I can see from the logs, that the magic packet was received,
    > but
    > to no avail.
    >
    > I have set up port forwarding using port 9 UDP to my internal IP. Now, as
    > this should actually work with the MAC address, I am not sure how this
    > router will find the correct path. I have also tried to broadcast to the
    > subnet, but hte firewall does not allow x.x.x.255 to be entered. I don't
    > see anywhere where I can bind the IP address to a MAC either.
    >

    > Any ideas how I would be able to accomplish this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Leo

+ Reply to Thread