More control over my Netgear router - Routers

This is a discussion on More control over my Netgear router - Routers ; We have a whole house network with a FutureSmart distribution panel and a Netgear WPN824 router. I need more access control than the firmware seems to give. For instance: - I can set up a schedule for certain types of ...

  1. More control over my Netgear router

    We have a whole house network with a FutureSmart distribution panel and a
    Netgear WPN824 router. I need more access control than the firmware seems to
    give. For instance:

    - I can set up a schedule for certain types of access, but I can't create
    more than one schedule. If I want, say, to limit AIM during afternoon hours
    and web browsing in the evening, I cannot do that.

    - If I want to schedule the total shutdown/wakeup of all wireless activity,
    I cannot. I can manually turn the radio on or off, but it's all manual.

    I don't think that the things I'm asking for are unreasonable, but the
    router I have does not seem to provide them. Should I look elsewhere? Are
    these capabilities typical of what advanced users expect out of their
    wireless routers? If so, is there a way to bring those capabilities to my
    current router or do I need to buy a new one, and if so, what should I be
    looking for?

    Many thanks...

    Rick A.
    Pleasanton CA

  2. Re: More control over my Netgear router

    Rick Altman wrote:

    >I don't think that the things I'm asking for are unreasonable, but the
    >router I have does not seem to provide them. Should I look elsewhere? Are

    Maybe they aren't but the point is that those "consumer routers" are very
    limited to exactly those features which are sufficient for 99.9% percent of
    the users - who mostly don't even know what the router does.

    I've also been using some Netgear routers during the last years but I came
    to the conclusion that I wouldn't ever buy such a thing again for at least
    the following reasons:

    - they are "all in one" devices who heard about all the terms "WLAN"
    "router", maybe "VPN" etc. but don't provide any of them reliably
    - they have _very_ limited functionality and config options (e.g. port
    forwarding but no port translation for incoming traffic)

    That's why I'll replace the Netgear thingie by a Cisco ASA and a Cisco AP.

    For your scheduling tasks, my first thought is CheckPoint FW-1 (I know it
    can do that) but it's very pricy. It is also available as a Nokia appliance
    but I don't know the price of it. Maybe other "real" FireWall apps can also
    provide such schedules.

    Good luck!

    fw

+ Reply to Thread