NAT'ing of one's own WAN IP address - Routers

This is a discussion on NAT'ing of one's own WAN IP address - Routers ; Greetings, We are developing an application that uses UPnP to open ports on our customer's routers, and in doing so, have run into a problem with a few models, while others seem to behave fine. We are trying to figure ...

  1. NAT'ing of one's own WAN IP address

    Greetings,

    We are developing an application that uses UPnP to open ports on our
    customer's routers, and in doing so, have run into a problem with a
    few models, while others seem to behave fine. We are trying to figure
    out what happens exactly, so we can find a work-around.

    Our application opens port 82 through UPnP to service HTTP requests.
    Assuming the computer's externally visible address is 1.1.1.1 :

    A) From any internet connected computer: 1.1.1.1:82/ -> Works,
    requests are serviced
    B) From the computer running the client: localhost:82/ -> Works,
    requests are serviced
    C) From the computer running the client: 1.1.1.1:82 -> Works with some
    routers, timeouts with others.

    What is preventing case C from working correctly? We are assuming that
    when the faulty routers receives the incoming LAN packets destined for
    themselves, the port forwarding is not applied properly, and the
    packet is dropped. But this is at best a theory, and we'd be happy if
    anyone could provide some insight into the causes of the problem.

    For the records, the routers that gave us this problem are the
    Gigafast EE 410-R and the NetGear WGR614v6.

    Thanks in advance for any help,

  2. Re: NAT'ing of one's own WAN IP address

    For anyone stumbling on this post, here is what I found out:

    This has to do with the router's support of Bi-directional NAT, and
    NAT loopback. The routers who do not support this will always fail at
    NAT'ing inbound traffic back correctly.

    On Apr 19, 12:46 pm, Eric Fournier wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > We are developing an application that uses UPnP to open ports on our
    > customer's routers, and in doing so, have run into a problem with a
    > few models, while others seem to behave fine. We are trying to figure
    > out what happens exactly, so we can find a work-around.
    >
    > Our application opens port 82 through UPnP to service HTTP requests.
    > Assuming the computer's externally visible address is 1.1.1.1 :
    >
    > A) From any internet connected computer: 1.1.1.1:82/ -> Works,
    > requests are serviced
    > B) From the computer running the client: localhost:82/ -> Works,
    > requests are serviced
    > C) From the computer running the client: 1.1.1.1:82 -> Works with some
    > routers, timeouts with others.
    >
    > What is preventing case C from working correctly? We are assuming that
    > when the faulty routers receives the incoming LAN packets destined for
    > themselves, the port forwarding is not applied properly, and the
    > packet is dropped. But this is at best a theory, and we'd be happy if
    > anyone could provide some insight into the causes of the problem.
    >
    > For the records, the routers that gave us this problem are the
    > Gigafast EE 410-R and the NetGear WGR614v6.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help,

+ Reply to Thread