I have a small win2003 server that I need to connect to remotely.
While connecting remotly is by its nature a security hole, this is the
best option for this solution. Right now I have a port forward to the
router.

Is the ms remote desktop a serious security problem? If it is, is
there anyway to make it safer, or what simple solution would you
recomend.
I have read some articles on port triggering , but im not sure how its
of any use in my situation.

What about vpn is that any better? I have read several articles on
this but it "seems" involved setting it up on Win2003.
Regards