Can't use new router - Routers

This is a discussion on Can't use new router - Routers ; After two days, I finally give up. Here is my story: Bought a Buffalo NAS drive, it would not connect to my router. Tech support said that there are problems with that drive and my router, so today I bought ...

  1. Can't use new router

    After two days, I finally give up.

    Here is my story:

    Bought a Buffalo NAS drive, it would not connect to my router. Tech support
    said that there are problems with that drive and my router, so today I
    bought one of their routers. No luck connecting to the internet. After
    several hours, I got myself a Netgear router. Same thing. Will not connect
    to the internet though the Buffalo NAS drive works fine with it (and with
    the Buffalo router for that matter).

    I called Verizon (my ISP) and they told me that for some reason the Linksys
    (my first router) Mac address is somehow bound to their system and it would
    take a couple of days to "unbind" it.

    I tried changing the Netgear MAC address to my computer's address (which is
    what I had the Linksys set up to), in its configuration, no luck.

    Anyone have any experience with this kind of fiasco? I can't believe I am
    tied to that Linksys router until Verizon does something on their end. Does
    this make sense?

  2. Re: Can't use new router

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 01:39:17 GMT, "Jay A" wrote:

    >After two days, I finally give up.
    >
    >Here is my story:
    >
    >Bought a Buffalo NAS drive, it would not connect to my router. Tech support
    >said that there are problems with that drive and my router, so today I
    >bought one of their routers. No luck connecting to the internet. After
    >several hours, I got myself a Netgear router. Same thing. Will not connect
    >to the internet though the Buffalo NAS drive works fine with it (and with
    >the Buffalo router for that matter).
    >
    >I called Verizon (my ISP) and they told me that for some reason the Linksys
    >(my first router) Mac address is somehow bound to their system and it would
    >take a couple of days to "unbind" it.
    >
    >I tried changing the Netgear MAC address to my computer's address (which is
    >what I had the Linksys set up to), in its configuration, no luck.
    >
    >Anyone have any experience with this kind of fiasco? I can't believe I am
    >tied to that Linksys router until Verizon does something on their end. Does
    >this make sense?

    Hello -
    I also have Vz. DSL, and have experienced the problem of which you
    speak. I found that if you tun everything off for a couple of hours,
    make sure it's all connected and then plug in the modem first,
    followed by the router 1 - 2 minutes later. This worked for me.

    Never had to wait 2 days.. With the linksys, you can verify that it
    connected properly by going to the STATUS page in the router setup
    and looking at the WAN/IP address. - as long as it's not 0.0.0.0,
    you should be in business.

    Dave

  3. Re: Can't use new router

    If you have a Westell modem, it has an IP address of 192.168.1.1. Change the
    IP address of your router to something else. I would suggest 192.168.100.1.
    Make sure it is getting a Dynamic IP from Verizon. If it works connected
    directly to your computer, try cloning the MAC address of that computer.

    "Jay A" wrote in message
    > After two days, I finally give up.
    >
    > Here is my story:
    >
    > Bought a Buffalo NAS drive, it would not connect to my router. Tech
    > support said that there are problems with that drive and my router, so
    > today I bought one of their routers. No luck connecting to the internet.
    > After several hours, I got myself a Netgear router. Same thing. Will not
    > connect to the internet though the Buffalo NAS drive works fine with it
    > (and with the Buffalo router for that matter).
    >
    > I called Verizon (my ISP) and they told me that for some reason the
    > Linksys (my first router) Mac address is somehow bound to their system and
    > it would take a couple of days to "unbind" it.
    >
    > I tried changing the Netgear MAC address to my computer's address (which
    > is what I had the Linksys set up to), in its configuration, no luck.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with this kind of fiasco? I can't believe I am
    > tied to that Linksys router until Verizon does something on their end.
    > Does this make sense?

+ Reply to Thread