why LAN file txfer slow? - Routers

This is a discussion on why LAN file txfer slow? - Routers ; How can I improve the LAN file transfer rate? Transfering files from PC to PC on my LAN is very slow. This between 2 PCs through a 4 port Linksys BEFSX41 router. Transfering from shared folder on a PC to ...

  1. why LAN file txfer slow?

    How can I improve the LAN file transfer rate?
    Transfering files from PC to PC on my LAN is very slow.

    This between 2 PCs through a 4 port Linksys BEFSX41 router. Transfering
    from shared folder on a PC to another shared folder on a PC. I can see the
    harddrive access is very infrequent and CPU utilization is very low. The
    network utilization shown under windows task manager is less then 5%.
    Download files off the interest is faster the PC to PC transfer. There are
    no limits invoked in the router.

    Any tips appreciated.

  2. Re: why LAN file txfer slow?

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:07:55 -0700, "trs80" wrote:

    >How can I improve the LAN file transfer rate?
    >Transfering files from PC to PC on my LAN is very slow.
    >
    >This between 2 PCs through a 4 port Linksys BEFSX41 router. Transfering
    >from shared folder on a PC to another shared folder on a PC. I can see the
    >harddrive access is very infrequent and CPU utilization is very low. The
    >network utilization shown under windows task manager is less then 5%.
    >Download files off the interest is faster the PC to PC transfer. There are
    >no limits invoked in the router.
    >
    >Any tips appreciated.

    Go to each network card and change them ALL to "100 full" in their
    settings. Usually it is under Flow Control. If this works for you the
    network will be much faster. Most cards are set to "auto" by default
    and that means "10 full", or even "10 half".
    If some cards do not support this, the whole thing needs to be set
    back to "auto". You cannot have a mixture or those machines set to
    "auto"will be dog slow.

  3. Re: why LAN file txfer slow?

    good tip. thank you. Ill do that!
    "f/fgeorge" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:07:55 -0700, "trs80" wrote:
    >

    >>How can I improve the LAN file transfer rate?
    >>Transfering files from PC to PC on my LAN is very slow.
    >>
    >>This between 2 PCs through a 4 port Linksys BEFSX41 router. Transfering
    >>from shared folder on a PC to another shared folder on a PC. I can see
    >>the
    >>harddrive access is very infrequent and CPU utilization is very low. The
    >>network utilization shown under windows task manager is less then 5%.
    >>Download files off the interest is faster the PC to PC transfer. There
    >>are
    >>no limits invoked in the router.
    >>
    >>Any tips appreciated.
    >>

    > Go to each network card and change them ALL to "100 full" in their
    > settings. Usually it is under Flow Control. If this works for you the
    > network will be much faster. Most cards are set to "auto" by default
    > and that means "10 full", or even "10 half".
    > If some cards do not support this, the whole thing needs to be set
    > back to "auto". You cannot have a mixture or those machines set to
    > "auto"will be dog slow.

+ Reply to Thread