Track changing router IP Address ? - Routers

This is a discussion on Track changing router IP Address ? - Routers ; My router keeps chaning its ip address. It is my understanding that there is are free services that can track this and report it to me somehow on the net. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this ...

  1. Track changing router IP Address ?

    My router keeps chaning its ip address.

    It is my understanding that there is are free services that can track
    this and report it to me somehow on the net.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction for this service, and offer
    any further advice.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Track changing router IP Address ?

    I would imagine that is normal, your ISP gives out the address on lease
    and you will get a new one every so often. You could have the same address
    for days or hours, it depends on your ISP.
    One of the experts will be able to give you a better answer so wait for
    one of those, I was just giving my thoughts on it, I'm no expert with
    networking.
    Joan

    steve wrote:
    > My router keeps chaning its ip address.
    >
    > It is my understanding that there is are free services that can track
    > this and report it to me somehow on the net.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction for this service, and offer
    > any further advice.
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Track changing router IP Address ?

    Well I have found a site called
    https://www.dyndns.com/support/faq.html

    Created an account.

    But I dont understand now what? I have read most of the info and faq's
    but it really doesnt exaclty explain now what?

    I have downloaded some software they recomend called DynDNS updater
    but I dont understand it. Do I load it on a computer behind the
    router, or anywhere? Can anyone provide me with some further help. The
    instructions dont really say how this whole thing works.

    Regards

  4. Re: Track changing router IP Address ?

    hello,

    to use dyndns

    1) create an account at dyndns
    2) associate a hostname to it (create host), when you do that your WAN ip
    address will be detected automatically and linked to the hostname you
    create.

    keeping this link up to date.

    your IP address will change from time to time. you will need to update the
    link hostname and IP address at DynDNS.

    You can do that manually,

    3) you login at dyndns from your PC at home and you modify your hostname
    configuration

    you can let your computer do it automatically for you with the dyndns
    updater

    3) install the dyndns updater on one of your PC (the one that is always on
    (or the more frequently on)
    4) run the dyndnsupdater wizard, It will normally detect automatically what
    your WAN ip address is and give you the instruction to configure dyndns
    updater service to keep the link hostname with your Wan IP address.

    This is theoritically how it works.

    Hope it clarifies things a little bit.

    --

    h2so4
    play triogical at http://www.triogical.com
    "steve" wrote in message
    news:1174587999.899395.87980@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
    > Well I have found a site called
    > https://www.dyndns.com/support/faq.html
    >
    > Created an account.
    >
    > But I dont understand now what? I have read most of the info and faq's
    > but it really doesnt exaclty explain now what?
    >
    > I have downloaded some software they recomend called DynDNS updater
    > but I dont understand it. Do I load it on a computer behind the
    > router, or anywhere? Can anyone provide me with some further help. The
    > instructions dont really say how this whole thing works.
    >
    > Regards

  5. Re: Track changing router IP Address ?

    On Mar 23, 5:30 am, "h2so4" wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > to use dyndns
    >
    > 1) create an account at dyndns
    > 2) associate a hostname to it (create host), when you do that your WAN ip
    > address will be detected automatically and linked to the hostname you
    > create.
    >
    > keeping this link up to date.
    >
    > your IP address will change from time to time. you will need to update the
    > link hostname and IP address at DynDNS.
    >
    > You can do that manually,
    >
    > 3) you login at dyndns from your PC at home and you modify your hostname
    > configuration
    >
    > you can let your computer do it automatically for you with the dyndns
    > updater
    >
    > 3) install the dyndns updater on one of your PC (the one that is always on
    > (or the more frequently on)
    > 4) run the dyndnsupdater wizard, It will normally detect automatically what
    > your WAN ip address is and give you the instruction to configure dyndns
    > updater service to keep the link hostname with your Wan IP address.
    >
    > This is theoritically how it works.
    >
    > Hope it clarifies things a little bit.
    >
    > --
    >
    > h2so4
    > play triogical athttp://www.triogical.com"steve" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1174587999.899395.87980@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > Well I have found a site called
    > >https://www.dyndns.com/support/faq.html

    > > Created an account.

    > > But I dont understand now what? I have read most of the info and faq's
    > > but it really doesnt exaclty explain now what?

    > > I have downloaded some software they recomend called DynDNS updater
    > > but I dont understand it. Do I load it on a computer behind the
    > > router, or anywhere? Can anyone provide me with some further help. The
    > > instructions dont really say how this whole thing works.

    > > Regards- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you for your response and help.
    I hope you'all are patient with me because I dont really understand a
    couple of things on this.

    Goal.
    I have a server at a small organization (charity) that I want to log
    onto. Strangely the IP (of the router) changes literally about every
    12 hours. This makes loggin in remotely almost imposible. All I want
    to know is what is the current IP address of the router so that I can
    get through to the server.

    1. You say
    > your IP address will change from time to time. you will need to update the
    > link hostname and IP address at DynDNS.

    I thought that was the point they track that so I can go somewhere
    somehow and get the current IP address.

    2. You say
    You can do that manually,

    > 3) you login at dyndns from your PC at home and you modify your hostname
    > configuration

    IM confused by what you mean by this. I dont understant this. Which
    hostname the one I have made up at dyndns. eg myname.dyndns.com
    I dont understand.

    3. You say you can do this automatically, with the software. Do I put
    the software on a computer behind the router I want to keep track of?
    I mean this is what makes sense to me.

    Do you know how or were I go to find out what the new IP address of
    the router is. I mean If Im outside the organization I need to go
    somewhere and get the new IP address.

    IM sorry for being so stupid on this. I hope I dont come across as
    dumb as the questions seem but I dont get this thing at all. And
    while many faqs answer many questions they dont answer any of the
    obvious ones eg like where to I load the updater software and how to I
    find what the new IP address is.

    Regards

  6. Re: Track changing router IP Address ?

    > Thank you for your response and help.
    > I hope you'all are patient with me because I dont really understand a
    > couple of things on this.
    >
    > Goal.
    > I have a server at a small organization (charity) that I want to log
    > onto. Strangely the IP (of the router) changes literally about every
    > 12 hours. This makes loggin in remotely almost imposible. All I want
    > to know is what is the current IP address of the router so that I can
    > get through to the server.
    >
    > 1. You say
    >> your IP address will change from time to time. you will need to update
    >> the
    >> link hostname and IP address at DynDNS.

    > I thought that was the point they track that so I can go somewhere
    > somehow and get the current IP address.

    No, dyndns give you a way to link a hostname to an IP address.
    myname.dyndns.com to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    > 2. You say
    > You can do that manually,
    >>
    >> 3) you login at dyndns from your PC at home and you modify your hostname
    >> configuration

    > IM confused by what you mean by this. I dont understant this. Which
    > hostname the one I have made up at dyndns. eg myname.dyndns.com

    you log in at dyndns from the PC behind the router you want to access via
    myname.dyndns.com (I though it was your home PC)

    > 3. You say you can do this automatically, with the software. Do I put
    > the software on a computer behind the router I want to keep track of?
    > I mean this is what makes sense to me.

    yes, on the computer behind the router.

    > Do you know how or were I go to find out what the new IP address of
    > the router is. I mean If Im outside the organization I need to go
    > somewhere and get the new IP address.

    don't think this is possible. only your router and the computer behind, know
    the ip adress. DYNDNS updater will help you to keep the link hostname <> ip
    address up to date.

    > IM sorry for being so stupid on this. I hope I dont come across as
    > dumb as the questions seem but I dont get this thing at all. And
    > while many faqs answer many questions they dont answer any of the
    > obvious ones eg like where to I load the updater software and how to I
    > find what the new IP address is.

    I hope this clarify things.

  7. Re: Track changing router IP Address ?

    The free client I use is from
    http://www.no-ip.com/services/manage...namic_dns.html

    They will probably explain it better than I can.

    After setting up your account, you install their client on the computer you
    want to connect to. You have a set name like joeblow.no-ip.biz. The client
    takes the dynamic IP address from the ISP and automatically connects it to
    your no-ip.biz account. If you want to know the IP address, you log into
    your account and it will tell you the current IP assigned but that is not
    needed.

    Hope this helps,
    Bruce

    "steve" wrote in message
    news:1174579470.287604.310530@y66g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
    > My router keeps chaning its ip address.
    >
    > It is my understanding that there is are free services that can track
    > this and report it to me somehow on the net.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction for this service, and offer
    > any further advice.
    > Thanks.

  8. Re: Track changing router IP Address ?

    Thanks all this helped alot. Im now up and running.

    By the way I found that once you have your doname name eg
    myname.dnsdojo.net that if you ping it you get the ip address of the
    router your tracking. Man thats fantastic.

    steve

+ Reply to Thread