Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders - Routers

This is a discussion on Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders - Routers ; My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are two other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off the wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just ...

  1. Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are two
    other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off the
    wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,

  2. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    "Strike" wrote in message
    > My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are two
    > other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off the
    > wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    > allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    > would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,

    which linksys router would help

    KK

  3. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    Sorry, I thought they all had the same configuration. It is a Linksys
    WRT54G.
    Sure will appreciate your help.

    "Kaptain Krunch" wrote in message
    news:ruSdnQ93EdvxJCvYnZ2dnUVZ_oqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    > "Strike" wrote in message
    >> My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are
    >> two
    >> other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off the
    >> wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    >> allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    >> would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,
    >>

    > which linksys router would help
    >
    > KK

  4. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:12:22 -0500, "Strike"
    wrote:

    >My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are two
    >other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off the
    >wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    >allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    >would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,

    MAC filtering can do it. Just get the MAC addresso off of each
    laptop/wireless device and enter it into the routers sections where it
    says filter by mac address.
    It is under wireless, wireless mac filter, edit mac filter list. THEN
    TURN ON THE PERMIT ONLY!

  5. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    f/fgeorge wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:12:22 -0500, "Strike"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are two
    >> other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off the
    >> wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    >> allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    >> would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,
    >>

    > MAC filtering can do it. Just get the MAC addresso off of each
    > laptop/wireless device and enter it into the routers sections where it
    > says filter by mac address.

    MAC filtering will not prevent the bad guys from using the network, not
    for at split second. Today WPA, or better yet WPA2 encryption with a
    very strong key should be used

  6. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    There is of course the option of not using wireless at all. The router
    antennas can be removed which will
    for all intents eliminate the problem outside of her apartment. Wireless is
    not for everyone and esp. those
    who might fall victims to kiddies who can't stay out of other peoples
    networks.
    --
    Cheers!

    ISPgeek

    http://www.ISPgeeks.com
    ****WE'RE GIVING AWAY 5 GREAT PRIZES INCLUDING A COMPLETE NINTENDO WII GAME
    SYSTEM***
    Hardware and Software Support Forums
    Get the help you want with no ATTITUDES!
    Free Cable/DSL/Satellite Broadband Speed Test
    No Banners, No Popups, No Spam, No Advertising of ANY Type

    "Strike" wrote in message
    > My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are two
    > other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off the
    > wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    > allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    > would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,

  7. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    If you remove the antennas without disabling the wireless function, you
    might burn the router.

    ISPgeek escreveu em 25-01-2007 18:21:
    > There is of course the option of not using wireless at all. The router
    > antennas can be removed which will
    > for all intents eliminate the problem outside of her apartment. Wireless is
    > not for everyone and esp. those
    > who might fall victims to kiddies who can't stay out of other peoples
    > networks.

  8. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    So she just wants wireless in the apartment?

    Something to consider is turning down the power level of the wireless. This
    will not allow the signal to reach far outside the apartment. You will want
    to adjust it so all PCs in the apartment still get access, but low enough to
    where the signal isn't going much further than that.

    Next thing is to set up WPA encryption as has already been suggested. After
    that, you're pretty secure.

    "Strike" wrote in message
    > My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are two
    > other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off the
    > wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    > allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    > would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,

  9. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    Using the Router's SecureEasySetup Feature

    Read these instructions before you press any SecureEasySetup buttons. You
    should locate the SecureEasySetup

    buttons of your devices before using the Router's SecureEasySetup feature.

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

    should get the manual, but I think I know what you want to do... that is use
    the wired 4 ports in the apartment and keep a select few (if any) from using
    the wireless access. I think it was also mentioned in other posts to turn
    off the wireless throught the HTTP page in the router. Hope this is clear
    enough and sorry for any bold face you see it was unintentional.

    Good luck mate

    KK
    "Strike" wrote in message
    > Sorry, I thought they all had the same configuration. It is a Linksys
    > WRT54G.
    > Sure will appreciate your help.
    >
    > "Kaptain Krunch" wrote in message
    > news:ruSdnQ93EdvxJCvYnZ2dnUVZ_oqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > >
    > > "Strike" wrote in message
    > >> My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are
    > >> two
    > >> other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off

    the
    > >> wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    > >> allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    > >> would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,
    > >>

    > > which linksys router would help
    > >
    > > KK

  10. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    So how is this WPA set up? I never heard of it before? Is this set up in
    the router?

    "palle" wrote in message
    news:45b86795$0$15877$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k...
    > f/fgeorge wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:12:22 -0500, "Strike"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are
    >>> two other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off
    >>> the wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and
    >>> just allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    >>> would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,

    >> MAC filtering can do it. Just get the MAC addresso off of each
    >> laptop/wireless device and enter it into the routers sections where it
    >> says filter by mac address.

    > MAC filtering will not prevent the bad guys from using the network, not
    > for at split second. Today WPA, or better yet WPA2 encryption with a very
    > strong key should be used

  11. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    YES!

    KK

    "Strike" wrote in message
    > So how is this WPA set up? I never heard of it before? Is this set up in
    > the router?
    >
    > "palle" wrote in message
    > news:45b86795$0$15877$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k...
    > > f/fgeorge wrote:

    off
    > >> MAC filtering can do it. Just get the MAC addresso off of each
    > >> laptop/wireless device and enter it into the routers sections where it
    > >> says filter by mac address.

    > > MAC filtering will not prevent the bad guys from using the network, not
    > > for at split second. Today WPA, or better yet WPA2 encryption with a

    very
    > > strong key should be used

  12. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    In article <3zcuh.1324$O%3.271@newsfe02.lga>,
    "AFRO" wrote:

    > So she just wants wireless in the apartment?
    >
    > Something to consider is turning down the power level of the wireless. This
    > will not allow the signal to reach far outside the apartment. You will want
    > to adjust it so all PCs in the apartment still get access, but low enough to
    > where the signal isn't going much further than that.
    >
    > Next thing is to set up WPA encryption as has already been suggested. After
    > that, you're pretty secure.
    >

    > "Strike" wrote in message
    > > My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are two
    > > other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off the
    > > wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    > > allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    > > would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,

    Just to make it a little more difficult for outsiders to get in, also
    set router to 'hide' the SSID.

    --
    I do the best I can, but I could be wrong.
    please post reply to newsgroup.

  13. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    "David" wrote in message
    > In article <3zcuh.1324$O%3.271@newsfe02.lga>,
    > "AFRO" wrote:
    >
    >> So she just wants wireless in the apartment?
    >>
    >> Something to consider is turning down the power level of the wireless.
    >> This
    >> will not allow the signal to reach far outside the apartment. You will
    >> want
    >> to adjust it so all PCs in the apartment still get access, but low enough
    >> where the signal isn't going much further than that.
    >>
    >> Next thing is to set up WPA encryption as has already been suggested.
    >> After
    >> that, you're pretty secure.
    >>

    >> "Strike" wrote in message
    >> > My daughter has a linksys router in her apartment at school. There are
    >> > two
    >> > other students that have computers. She asked me if I could shut off
    >> > the
    >> > wireless connection off to outsiders trying to use her service and just
    >> > allow the three computers in the apartment. Can this be done and
    >> > would someone walk me through what I have to do? Thanks,
    >> >

    > Just to make it a little more difficult for outsiders to get in, also
    > set router to 'hide' the SSID.

    Why not just "only permit the mac adress of the pc to be able to use the
    internet connection" ?

  14. Re: Turning off wireless connections to Outsiders

    ray> Why not just "only permit the mac adress of the pc to be able
    ray> to use the internet connection" ?

    Do that too. But only the WPA encryption will offer any security on a
    college campus (MAC addresses can be easily spoofed).

    --
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red
    again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than

  15. Connecting Westell 6100 & AirLink AR680B300N

    I'm trying to connect my DSL router (Westell 6100) from Verizon to a
    wireless AirLink AR680W300N. Verizon help/chat/e-mail service has been much
    less than good (rant). I've been trying every configuration but Sunday for a
    week or so. Anyone know how to do this?

    thanks
    art

  16. Re: Connecting Westell 6100 & AirLink AR680B300N

    skidmarks wrote:
    > I'm trying to connect my DSL router (Westell 6100) from Verizon to a
    > wireless AirLink AR680W300N. Verizon help/chat/e-mail service has been
    > much less than good (rant). I've been trying every configuration but
    > Sunday for a week or so. Anyone know how to do this?
    >
    > thanks
    > art

    Art:

    I went through the same thing in MAY but found out how to do it after
    a bit of web searching

    What you have to do is put the Westell in "Bridge" mode so that it
    will act like a DSL modem only.

    A good description of putting the Westell 6100 in bridge mode can be
    found Here:

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/13600

    or Here:

    http://members.verizon.net/~res08lyg/6100.htm

    The ROUTER then handles the PPoE login and DHCP. Also remember that
    the Westell and the new router MUST be on different subnets. Example:
    If you leave the Westell's IP address as 192.168.1.1 (The default) the
    router's IP address sould be changed to, say, 192.168.2.1 The
    router will then hand out IP addresses to any PC connected to it in
    the range 192.168.2.x

    HTH & GL

    John

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  17. Re: Connecting Westell 6100 & AirLink AR680B300N

    John Dulak wrote:
    > skidmarks wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to connect my DSL router (Westell 6100) from Verizon to a
    >> wireless AirLink AR680W300N. Verizon help/chat/e-mail service has been
    >> much less than good (rant). I've been trying every configuration but
    >> Sunday for a week or so. Anyone know how to do this?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> art

    > Art:
    >
    > I went through the same thing in MAY but found out how to do it after a
    > bit of web searching
    >
    > What you have to do is put the Westell in "Bridge" mode so that it will
    > act like a DSL modem only.
    >
    > A good description of putting the Westell 6100 in bridge mode can be
    > found Here:
    >
    > http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/13600
    >
    > or Here:
    >
    > http://members.verizon.net/~res08lyg/6100.htm
    >
    > The ROUTER then handles the PPoE login and DHCP. Also remember that the
    > Westell and the new router MUST be on different subnets. Example: If you
    > leave the Westell's IP address as 192.168.1.1 (The default) the
    > router's IP address sould be changed to, say, 192.168.2.1 The router
    > will then hand out IP addresses to any PC connected to it in the range
    > 192.168.2.x
    >
    > HTH & GL
    >
    > John

    John, you info seems pretty good except for the last part. You
    mentioned subnetting but give an example using different IP addresses.
    One IP for the modem and another for the router. This is true, as each
    device on a network must have another IP. A subnet mask is a different
    thing. A subnet like 255.255.255.0 informs the administrator what class
    the network IP belongs to. For example if your IP is 192.168.10.1 with
    subnet 255.255.255.0 then the IP belongs to a class C network, the first
    3 octets belonging to the network name and the last octect that of the
    host. This person has a network using a single router and therefore
    would have need of only one subnet.

+ Reply to Thread