bouncing the modem/router - Routers

This is a discussion on bouncing the modem/router - Routers ; Hi somethings I loose connection to the Internet, I unplug my modem/router and after a minute or 2 I plug it back in and wait a minute or 2 and all is fine. what did that do? do I have ...

  1. bouncing the modem/router

    Hi

    somethings I loose connection to the Internet, I unplug my
    modem/router and after a minute or 2 I plug it back in and wait a
    minute or 2 and all is fine. what did that do? do I have a low quality
    modem/router and if I buy a better one, it will not do that?

    can some one tell us please.

    thanks

  2. Re: bouncing the modem/router

    On 24 Dec 2006 14:44:13 +1100, Gary Wessle wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >somethings I loose connection to the Internet, I unplug my
    >modem/router and after a minute or 2 I plug it back in and wait a
    >minute or 2 and all is fine. what did that do? do I have a low quality
    >modem/router and if I buy a better one, it will not do that?
    >
    >can some one tell us please.
    >
    >thanks

    yes, it is probably defective. I replaced two (different) routers in
    the last year for that same reason, but found a Linksys (Cisco) unit
    that works *much* better.

    I was actually thinking about having something (maybe a server) power
    down the router on a regular basis if the third router didn't fix the
    problem, but in the end it worked. (think X-10 with a small program to
    test connectivity, when it does a test of the Internet that fails,
    reset the router!)

+ Reply to Thread