Small Point-to-Point VPN Hardware Recommendations - Routers

This is a discussion on Small Point-to-Point VPN Hardware Recommendations - Routers ; Seasons Greetings ~ I manage large scale VPN networks for Fortune-500 companies at present. That being said, the type of hardware I work on is quite expensive. I am faced with the current scenario: I want to setup two small ...

  1. Small Point-to-Point VPN Hardware Recommendations

    Seasons Greetings ~
    I manage large scale VPN networks for Fortune-500 companies at present.
    That being said, the type of hardware I work on is quite expensive.

    I am faced with the current scenario: I want to setup two small offices
    with a VPN network. There are probably about 10 users at the branch
    office needing to communicate to the hub. Cisco VPN concentrators or even
    831's would be too much for them. I saw some cheap Nortel Contivity
    switches on eBay, but that will still be too much for them.

    I see that there are some Linksys VPN routers with IPSEC capabilities.
    From experience, what small series routers are best performers for
    Point-to-Point VPN's with IPSEC 3DES encryption? I don't want to break
    the bank for them.

    Thanks for your advice.

    --
    Clint Young

  2. Re: Small Point-to-Point VPN Hardware Recommendations

    "Clint Young" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.12.21.04.24.46.800219@nospam.net...
    > Seasons Greetings ~
    > I manage large scale VPN networks for Fortune-500 companies at present.
    > That being said, the type of hardware I work on is quite expensive.
    >
    > I am faced with the current scenario: I want to setup two small offices
    > with a VPN network. There are probably about 10 users at the branch
    > office needing to communicate to the hub. Cisco VPN concentrators or even
    > 831's would be too much for them. I saw some cheap Nortel Contivity
    > switches on eBay, but that will still be too much for them.
    >
    > I see that there are some Linksys VPN routers with IPSEC capabilities.
    > From experience, what small series routers are best performers for
    > Point-to-Point VPN's with IPSEC 3DES encryption? I don't want to break
    > the bank for them.
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > --
    > Clint Young

    Yes, linksys will work with 3DES . I have the befsx41 with 2 bpn
    connections. works great if that are all the connections you need at any
    one time. there maybe others that handle more.

    KK

  3. Re: Small Point-to-Point VPN Hardware Recommendations

    Clint Young wrote:

    > Seasons Greetings ~
    > I manage large scale VPN networks for Fortune-500 companies at present.
    > That being said, the type of hardware I work on is quite expensive.
    >
    > I am faced with the current scenario: I want to setup two small offices
    > with a VPN network. There are probably about 10 users at the branch
    > office needing to communicate to the hub. Cisco VPN concentrators or even
    > 831's would be too much for them. I saw some cheap Nortel Contivity
    > switches on eBay, but that will still be too much for them.
    >
    > I see that there are some Linksys VPN routers with IPSEC capabilities.
    > From experience, what small series routers are best performers for
    > Point-to-Point VPN's with IPSEC 3DES encryption? I don't want to break
    > the bank for them.
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.

    CLint;

    Take a look at Netopia, especially their 38xx-END series. They will
    accommodate up to 15 VPN's and the price is very affordable. The
    configuration is via telnet but it's menu driven. And, their tech support
    is great!

    Good luck.

  4. Re: Small Point-to-Point VPN Hardware Recommendations

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:49:57 -0500, bobmct wrote:

    > Clint Young wrote:
    >
    >> Seasons Greetings ~
    >> I manage large scale VPN networks for Fortune-500 companies at present.
    >> That being said, the type of hardware I work on is quite expensive.
    >>
    >> I am faced with the current scenario: I want to setup two small offices
    >> with a VPN network. There are probably about 10 users at the branch
    >> office needing to communicate to the hub. Cisco VPN concentrators or even
    >> 831's would be too much for them. I saw some cheap Nortel Contivity
    >> switches on eBay, but that will still be too much for them.
    >>
    >> I see that there are some Linksys VPN routers with IPSEC capabilities.
    >> From experience, what small series routers are best performers for
    >> Point-to-Point VPN's with IPSEC 3DES encryption? I don't want to break
    >> the bank for them.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your advice.
    >>

    > CLint;
    >
    > Take a look at Netopia, especially their 38xx-END series. They will
    > accommodate up to 15 VPN's and the price is very affordable. The
    > configuration is via telnet but it's menu driven. And, their tech support
    > is great!
    >
    > Good luck.

    Do you happen to have a link for a 38xx-END series router? I have been
    searching and don't see any 38xx series. Thanks -

    --
    Clint Young

  5. Re: Small Point-to-Point VPN Hardware Recommendations

    "Clint Young" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.12.23.04.20.37.58984@nospam.net...
    >> Good luck.

    > Do you happen to have a link for a 38xx-END series router? I have been
    > searching and don't see any 38xx series. Thanks -

    He probably meant 33xx ENT series.

  6. Re: Small Point-to-Point VPN Hardware Recommendations

    Clint Young wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:49:57 -0500, bobmct wrote:
    >
    >> Clint Young wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seasons Greetings ~
    >>> I manage large scale VPN networks for Fortune-500 companies at
    >>> present.
    >>> That being said, the type of hardware I work on is quite expensive.
    >>>
    >>> I am faced with the current scenario: I want to setup two small offices
    >>> with a VPN network. There are probably about 10 users at the branch
    >>> office needing to communicate to the hub. Cisco VPN concentrators or
    >>> even
    >>> 831's would be too much for them. I saw some cheap Nortel Contivity
    >>> switches on eBay, but that will still be too much for them.
    >>>
    >>> I see that there are some Linksys VPN routers with IPSEC capabilities.
    >>> From experience, what small series routers are best performers for
    >>> Point-to-Point VPN's with IPSEC 3DES encryption? I don't want to break
    >>> the bank for them.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your advice.
    >>>

    >> CLint;
    >>
    >> Take a look at Netopia, especially their 38xx-END series. They will
    >> accommodate up to 15 VPN's and the price is very affordable. The
    >> configuration is via telnet but it's menu driven. And, their tech
    >> support is great!
    >>
    >> Good luck.

    > Do you happen to have a link for a 38xx-END series router? I have been
    > searching and don't see any 38xx series. Thanks -

    Yep - Drake was correct. 33xx-ENT. I use the 3387G-ENT in some cases with
    the wireless disabled, so its available if and when it should be needed.
    The cost differential is minimal.

    I guess I better get new glasses.

+ Reply to Thread