My Linksys WRT54GX2 bites ...What is the best wireless router for $60 to $130 range? - Routers

This is a discussion on My Linksys WRT54GX2 bites ...What is the best wireless router for $60 to $130 range? - Routers ; Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I am looking to replace my Linksys WRT54GX2 (SRX200) with a new more reliable model. I bought the SRX200 on the reccomendation of the Best Buy salesman that said it would provide superior speed and range ...

  1. My Linksys WRT54GX2 bites ...What is the best wireless router for $60 to $130 range?

    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I am looking to replace my Linksys WRT54GX2 (SRX200) with a new more
    reliable model. I bought the SRX200 on the reccomendation of the Best Buy
    salesman that said it would provide superior speed and range to the WRT54G.

    The setup was painful as it refused to remember its settings (or
    remember them for an hour before going back to default settings). From time
    to time it would just drop the connection and just disappear from the
    "Available Wireless Networks" on my new Tosh Satellite (15 feet away). So I
    upgraded the firmware... no change except it now remembers it settings (it's
    still the latest firmware,Version 14).

    Later it started dropping packets like crazy and stalling / hanging IE
    sessions. Then the power on light would go on and off (not sure if this was
    b/c it was resetting itself or crapped out electronics). Well after the Best
    Buy satisfaction period was well over (my fault) I figured maybe it wasn't
    something stupid I was doing (I'm not a network expert). I went back to Best
    Buy and they said take it up with Linksys, the satisfaction period is over.
    No credit or trade, no nothing. Even though their brillant sales associate
    had specifically reccomended it to me over the WRT54G (which I have heard is
    more reliable) that I had wanted.

    I began to notice my model, the WRT54GX2 wasn't being displayed on
    dealers shelves or advertised anymore....hmmmmm. I asked for opinions around
    different comp/electronics stores and did more reading on the internet....
    pretty disturbing. I won't mention specific nationwide dealers whose
    employees I talked to but the comments were in general:

    1. SRX200 is a piece of **** and we won't sell it anymore.
    2. SRX200 is known to have unresolved "issues", Get a Netgear Rangemax 240
    or the Linksys WRT54G or maybe a Belkin N series.
    3. Don't bother getting it fixed, they're all like that.
    4. Other comments I won't repeat....

    So now I am wondering what should I get?? It seems there are no clear
    winners in online reviews or even highly reccomended routers. Some users
    have great success with a certain model and other users cuss it up and down.
    Is there something those users are not doing right in setting it up or is
    the manufacturers quality control crappy?

    I would rather not waste money on another crappy wireless router and be
    in the same spot I'm in now minus another 120 dollars. Any suggestions would
    be GREATLY appreciated. I would like a N router even though it will be a
    while before I get upgraded cards to take advantage of it.

    Thanks,
    Bob

  2. Re: My Linksys WRT54GX2 bites ...What is the best wireless routerfor $60 to $130 range?

    Bob. Wells wrote:
    > Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
    > I am looking to replace my Linksys WRT54GX2 (SRX200) with a new more
    > reliable model. I bought the SRX200 on the reccomendation of the Best Buy
    > salesman that said it would provide superior speed and range to the WRT54G.

    > I would rather not waste money on another crappy wireless router and be
    > in the same spot I'm in now minus another 120 dollars. Any suggestions would
    > be GREATLY appreciated. I would like a N router even though it will be a
    > while before I get upgraded cards to take advantage of it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Hi Bob,

    I was in a similar situation as yourself, but with the WRT54G.
    Constantly dropping wireless and even the WAN connections and needed
    rebooting about 3-4 times a week. I had had previous good experience
    with a Belkin B access point, so I decided to give them a shot. I got
    the Belkin pre-N and it has so far been rock solid. The price of the N
    routers are low enough now that if its what you're wanting, go ahead and
    get one. They are backwards compatible with G/B, and then you can
    upgrade your cards at your leisure.

    Brandon
    - can only speak of anecdotal instances.

+ Reply to Thread