Question too hard or too dumb? - Routers

This is a discussion on Question too hard or too dumb? - Routers ; Hi: I posted this question a few weeks ago, but received no replies. Was it (a) not posted in the group? or (b) was it a dumb question which no one would deign to answer or (c) is the question ...

  1. Question too hard or too dumb?

    Hi:

    I posted this question a few weeks ago, but received no replies.
    Was it (a) not posted in the group? or
    (b) was it a dumb question which no one would deign to answer or
    (c) is the question so difficult that no one can answer it? (I doubt it is the
    latter).

    Anyway:

    I currently use a D-Link 604 to connect three computers to an ADSL modem.

    I acquired a pocket PC which has a wireless access feature, so I'm going to
    replace the DI604 with a D-Link WBR2301.
    The three computers will still be connected using existing cables.

    I understand that for wireless security, I have to set up a secure log-in
    system.
    Question: Would the wired computers have to use the secure log-in every time
    these computers are booted up? or could that be applied to the wireless
    device(s) only?
    Logging in every time would be a bit of a PITA.
    Could both routers be wired "in series", and apply the secure log-in to the
    wireless one only?

    Thanks for helping out a (70-year old) newby!

    Merry Christmas all!

    Old enough . . .
    to know I don't know a thing.

  2. Re: Question too hard or too dumb?

    On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:46:13 -0500, Old Enough wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I posted this question a few weeks ago, but received no replies.
    > Was it (a) not posted in the group? or
    > (b) was it a dumb question which no one would deign to answer or
    > (c) is the question so difficult that no one can answer it? (I doubt it is the
    > latter).
    >
    > Anyway:
    >
    > I currently use a D-Link 604 to connect three computers to an ADSL modem.
    >
    > I acquired a pocket PC which has a wireless access feature, so I'm going to
    > replace the DI604 with a D-Link WBR2301.
    > The three computers will still be connected using existing cables.
    >
    > I understand that for wireless security, I have to set up a secure log-in
    > system.
    > Question: Would the wired computers have to use the secure log-in every time
    > these computers are booted up? or could that be applied to the wireless
    > device(s) only?
    > Logging in every time would be a bit of a PITA.
    > Could both routers be wired "in series", and apply the secure log-in to the
    > wireless one only?
    >
    > Thanks for helping out a (70-year old) newby!
    >
    > Merry Christmas all!
    >
    > Old enough . . .
    > to know I don't know a thing.

    Replace the old router with the new wireless router. Wireless security
    applies to wireless connections only. Your wired computers will perform the
    same as they did with the old router.

  3. Re: Question too hard or too dumb?

    On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:09:24 -0800, BobC wrote:

    >On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:46:13 -0500, Old Enough wrote:
    >
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I posted this question a few weeks ago, but received no replies.
    >> Was it (a) not posted in the group? or
    >> (b) was it a dumb question which no one would deign to answer or
    >> (c) is the question so difficult that no one can answer it? (I doubt it is the
    >> latter).
    >>
    >> Anyway:
    >>
    >> I currently use a D-Link 604 to connect three computers to an ADSL modem.
    >>
    >> I acquired a pocket PC which has a wireless access feature, so I'm going to
    >> replace the DI604 with a D-Link WBR2301.
    >> The three computers will still be connected using existing cables.
    >>
    >> I understand that for wireless security, I have to set up a secure log-in
    >> system.
    >> Question: Would the wired computers have to use the secure log-in every time
    >> these computers are booted up? or could that be applied to the wireless
    >> device(s) only?
    >> Logging in every time would be a bit of a PITA.
    >> Could both routers be wired "in series", and apply the secure log-in to the
    >> wireless one only?
    >>
    >> Thanks for helping out a (70-year old) newby!
    >>
    >> Merry Christmas all!
    >>
    >> Old enough . . .
    >> to know I don't know a thing.

    >Replace the old router with the new wireless router. Wireless security
    >applies to wireless connections only. Your wired computers will perform the
    >same as they did with the old router.

    Thanks, Bob!
    Old enough . . .
    to know I don't know a thing.

  4. Re: Question too hard or too dumb?

    I *did* reply to your earlier post...on Dec 19th. (replied to the group that
    is... it should be there in your newsreader - depending on those settings).

    "Old Enough" wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I posted this question a few weeks ago, but received no replies.
    > Was it (a) not posted in the group? or
    > (b) was it a dumb question which no one would deign to answer or
    > (c) is the question so difficult that no one can answer it? (I doubt it
    > is the
    > latter).
    >
    > Anyway:
    >
    > I currently use a D-Link 604 to connect three computers to an ADSL modem.
    >
    > I acquired a pocket PC which has a wireless access feature, so I'm going
    > replace the DI604 with a D-Link WBR2301.
    > The three computers will still be connected using existing cables.
    >
    > I understand that for wireless security, I have to set up a secure log-in
    > system.
    > Question: Would the wired computers have to use the secure log-in every
    > time
    > these computers are booted up? or could that be applied to the wireless
    > device(s) only?
    > Logging in every time would be a bit of a PITA.
    > Could both routers be wired "in series", and apply the secure log-in to
    > the
    > wireless one only?
    >
    > Thanks for helping out a (70-year old) newby!
    >
    > Merry Christmas all!
    >
    > Old enough . . .
    > to know I don't know a thing.

  5. Re: Question too hard or too dumb?

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:08:24 -0500, "Kerry Liles" wrote:

    >I *did* reply to your earlier post...on Dec 19th. (replied to the group that
    >is... it should be there in your newsreader - depending on those settings).

    Yes you did, Kerry and I thank you for it.
    It was after I repeated the question in a slightly different format, though.

    Incidentally, I don't have the new wireless router yet - it is a Christmas
    present from my wife.
    I suggested a brand and model number, and there's a box about that size under
    the tree.

    Merry Christmas, everybody!

    Old enough . . .
    to know I don't know a thing.

  6. Re: Question too hard or too dumb?

    Merry Christmas to you too...

    "Old Enough" wrote in message
    > Incidentally, I don't have the new wireless router yet - it is a Christmas
    > present from my wife.
    > I suggested a brand and model number, and there's a box about that size
    > under
    > the tree.
    >
    > Merry Christmas, everybody!
    >
    > Old enough . . .