Password needed? - Routers

This is a discussion on Password needed? - Routers ; Hi: I currently use a D-Link 604 to connect three computers to an ADSL modem. I acquired a pocket PC which has a wireless access feature, so I'm going to replace the DI604 with a D-Link WBR2301. The three computers ...

  1. Password needed?

    Hi:

    I currently use a D-Link 604 to connect three computers to an ADSL modem.

    I acquired a pocket PC which has a wireless access feature, so I'm going to
    replace the DI604 with a D-Link WBR2301.
    The three computers will still be connected using existing cables.

    I understand that for wireless security, I have to set up a secure log-in
    system.
    Question: Would the wired computers have to use the secure log-in every time
    these computers are booted up? or could that be applied to the wireless
    device(s) only?
    Logging in every time would be a bit of a PITA.
    Could both routers be wired "in series", and apply the secure log-in to the
    wireless one only?

    Thanks for helping out a (70-year old) newby!

    Merry Christmas all!

    Old enough . . .
    to know I don't know a thing.

  2. Re: Password needed?

    You can connect the new wireless router (by an RJ45 network cable) to your
    existing router - a setup known as running the wireless router as an "access
    point". Wireless connections would go through the wireless router (which
    should come with instructions on how to run as an access point, and how to
    setup the proper security for wireless connections. Basically, wireless
    connections have to supply a password that you have pre-configured into the
    wireless router otherwise they cannot connect). Your existing wired
    connections remain as is through the old router.

    If you want to replace the Dlink-604 (I have one myself), you simply wire
    the 3 existing PCs into the new router (what is often not so obvious is that
    most [all?] wireless routers usually have 4 or more WIRED ports on the back
    as well as the antenna(s) for the wireless connections.

    Either way, you should be ok. Check for tutorials on wireless networking
    setups at such places like:

    www.practicallynetworked.com

    HTH, cheers.

    "Old Enough" wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I currently use a D-Link 604 to connect three computers to an ADSL modem.
    >
    > I acquired a pocket PC which has a wireless access feature, so I'm going
    > replace the DI604 with a D-Link WBR2301.
    > The three computers will still be connected using existing cables.
    >
    > I understand that for wireless security, I have to set up a secure log-in
    > system.
    > Question: Would the wired computers have to use the secure log-in every
    > time
    > these computers are booted up? or could that be applied to the wireless
    > device(s) only?
    > Logging in every time would be a bit of a PITA.
    > Could both routers be wired "in series", and apply the secure log-in to
    > the
    > wireless one only?
    >
    > Thanks for helping out a (70-year old) newby!
    >
    > Merry Christmas all!
    >
    > Old enough . . .
    > to know I don't know a thing.

+ Reply to Thread