running out of router sockets - Routers

This is a discussion on running out of router sockets - Routers ; Hi, I have an Netgear WGT624 v3 router that I bought a couple of months ago. I am running out of jacks to plug in the Ethernet cables. My router has jacks for 4 devices, and I'm going to need ...

  1. running out of router sockets

    Hi, I have an Netgear WGT624 v3 router that I bought a couple of months
    ago. I am running out of jacks to plug in the Ethernet cables. My
    router has jacks for 4 devices, and I'm going to need a 5th jack soon.
    What are my options? Any way of using an adaptor so two go into one?

    I have 2 desktop PC's, and a Packet 8 VOIP adapter, as well as a HP
    C5180 (soon probably) network printer, using all 4 cabled jacks. As of
    now I use my laptop wirelessly, but I want to be able to also plug it
    in the router via Ethernet cable when I'm in my home office as better
    security.

    Thanks much.

  2. Re: running out of router sockets

    You just need a switch. you can get them in 4 port,8, 16 or larger if you
    need. you use one of the existing four ports as an uplink to the switch and
    you've got more ports. How's the packet 8? I had one for about six months,
    but the voice quality was so bad I could barely hold a conversation

    wrote in message
    news:1166231945.312654.289650@l12g2000cwl.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi, I have an Netgear WGT624 v3 router that I bought a couple of months
    > ago. I am running out of jacks to plug in the Ethernet cables. My
    > router has jacks for 4 devices, and I'm going to need a 5th jack soon.
    > What are my options? Any way of using an adaptor so two go into one?
    >
    > I have 2 desktop PC's, and a Packet 8 VOIP adapter, as well as a HP
    > C5180 (soon probably) network printer, using all 4 cabled jacks. As of
    > now I use my laptop wirelessly, but I want to be able to also plug it
    > in the router via Ethernet cable when I'm in my home office as better
    > security.
    >
    > Thanks much.

  3. Re: running out of router sockets

    wrote in message
    news:1166231945.312654.289650@l12g2000cwl.googlegr oups.com
    > Hi, I have an Netgear WGT624 v3 router that I bought a couple of
    > months ago. I am running out of jacks to plug in the Ethernet
    > cables. My router has jacks for 4 devices, and I'm going to need a
    > 5th jack soon. What are my options? Any way of using an adaptor so
    > two go into one?
    >
    > I have 2 desktop PC's, and a Packet 8 VOIP adapter, as well as a HP
    > C5180 (soon probably) network printer, using all 4 cabled jacks. As
    > of now I use my laptop wirelessly, but I want to be able to also
    > plug it in the router via Ethernet cable when I'm in my home office
    > as better security.
    >
    > Thanks much.

    Get a switch.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  4. Re: running out of router sockets

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:36:10 GMT, "Travis M."
    wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >news:1166231945.312654.289650@l12g2000cwl.googlegr oups.com
    >> Hi, I have an Netgear WGT624 v3 router that I bought a couple of
    >> months ago. I am running out of jacks to plug in the Ethernet
    >> cables. My router has jacks for 4 devices, and I'm going to need a
    >> 5th jack soon. What are my options? Any way of using an adaptor so
    >> two go into one?
    >>
    >> I have 2 desktop PC's, and a Packet 8 VOIP adapter, as well as a HP
    >> C5180 (soon probably) network printer, using all 4 cabled jacks. As
    >> of now I use my laptop wirelessly, but I want to be able to also
    >> plug it in the router via Ethernet cable when I'm in my home office
    >> as better security.
    >>
    >> Thanks much.

    >Get a switch.

    Or even a hub... Some places are giving used ones pulled out of
    service away for free. I got 15 24-port managed 10/100 hubs a while
    back for free. For a small, lightly loaded network, they work just as
    well as a switch...

+ Reply to Thread