Cisco VPN Client - No Local Lan Access - Routers

This is a discussion on Cisco VPN Client - No Local Lan Access - Routers ; When I use the CISCO vpn client 4.6 and connect to remote networks, I look my connection to the internet, is there some way to configure this so I can still access the internet. thanks steve...

  1. Cisco VPN Client - No Local Lan Access

    When I use the CISCO vpn client 4.6 and connect to remote networks, I look
    my connection to the internet, is there some way to configure this so I can
    still access the internet.

    thanks
    steve

  2. Re: Cisco VPN Client - No Local Lan Access

    Stephen E. Weber wrote:

    >When I use the CISCO vpn client 4.6 and connect to remote networks, I look
    >my connection to the internet, is there some way to configure this so I can
    >still access the internet.

    AFAIR it's just a matter of the default route and it should work when you
    manually fix the routing table. Make the network behind the tunnel
    reachable through the VPN and set the default route back to your Internet
    router.

    Regards

    fw

  3. Re: Cisco VPN Client - No Local Lan Access

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:08:50 -0500, Stephen E. Weber wrote:

    > When I use the CISCO vpn client 4.6 and connect to remote networks, I look
    > my connection to the internet, is there some way to configure this so I can
    > still access the internet.
    >
    > thanks
    > steve

    At least on the Nortel Contivity VPN switches, it is all set on the server
    that you connect to. It is known as Split-Tunneling. ie: You can access
    your companies lan, while also accessing the internet. If their server is
    setup to make your default route down the tunnel to their network, you
    can't access the internet. The only other way you could access the
    internet would be to access it via the site you are VPN'd into.

    ie: Computer Wants to go to google --> Packets go down the Tunnel to the
    Remote Office --> Remote office sends packets out to the internet -->
    Packets return to the remote office, --> Packets go back down the tunnel
    to your PC.

    There are multiple potential security risks by allowing this. But it just
    depends on your particular situation.

    So in short, no, I don't think there is anything you can do on the client
    side to be able to access the internet.

    --
    Clint Young

+ Reply to Thread