Mac addres table limitations? - Routers

This is a discussion on Mac addres table limitations? - Routers ; Hello! What does mac address table size mean? We are using now this very basic machine to route everyting on our server network http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...id=38&pid=1367 Now we noticed that our firewall says that it has over 5000 conections to out world, ...

  1. Mac addres table limitations?

    Hello!

    What does mac address table size mean?

    We are using now this very basic machine to route everyting on our server
    network
    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...id=38&pid=1367

    Now we noticed that our firewall says that it has over 5000 conections to
    out world, mainly from that server network. Is that Switch a botle neck to
    our network?

    What do you recomend to be used as on online Switch on server network(24/7)
    where there are one www-cluster with two IIS, two sql servers, 2 email
    servers and 3 other older ones with nameservices. And wiht over 5000
    connections at the same time, bandwith to outher word is only 20
    megabytes....

  2. Re: Mac addres table limitations?

    "TLehtinen" wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > What does mac address table size mean?

    The size of the table used to store mac (physical) addresses.
    These will also be removed after a period of time with no activity.
    So this is a dynamic table

    > We are using now this very basic machine to route everyting on our server
    > network

    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...id=38&pid=1367

    > Now we noticed that our firewall says that it has over 5000 conections to
    > out world, mainly from that server network. Is that Switch a botle neck to
    > our network?

    Connections are actualy ports being used. One Mac address can have multiple
    ports opened.

    > What do you recomend to be used as on online Switch on server

    network24/7)

    A cisco or HP, or juniper switch if you want a good quality product.

    > where there are one www-cluster with two IIS, two sql servers, 2 email
    > servers and 3 other older ones with nameservices. And wiht over 5000
    > connections at the same time, bandwith to outher word is only 20
    > megabytes....

    Some of those 5000 ports may be just in a listen state.