permanent DHCP IP assignments? - Routers

This is a discussion on permanent DHCP IP assignments? - Routers ; I have a Linksys WRT54G. It assigns IP addresses to all the items attached to it. I have a problem that starts when the power goes out. After it is restored the Linksys assigns a new assortment of IP addresses. ...

  1. permanent DHCP IP assignments?

    I have a Linksys WRT54G. It assigns IP addresses to all the items attached
    to it. I have a problem that starts when the power goes out. After it is
    restored the Linksys assigns a new assortment of IP addresses. This is all
    fine EXCEPT for my printer, whose IP address is included in the unchanging
    "printer properties" of several PCs. How can I tell the WRT54G to save an
    IP assignment? Thanks!

  2. Re: permanent DHCP IP assignments?

    "Steve" wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys WRT54G. It assigns IP addresses to all the items
    > attached to it. I have a problem that starts when the power goes
    > out. After it is restored the Linksys assigns a new assortment of
    > IP addresses. This is all fine EXCEPT for my printer, whose IP
    > address is included in the unchanging "printer properties" of
    > several PCs. How can I tell the WRT54G to save an IP assignment?
    > Thanks!

    Assign static IP's.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: permanent DHCP IP assignments?

    The linksys will assign ip addresses from 192.168.1.100 through
    192.168.1.149 so you can give the printer a static ip address below or above
    those numbers, such as 192.168.1.4 and it won't be affected by the DHCP

    "Steve" wrote in message
    >I have a Linksys WRT54G. It assigns IP addresses to all the items attached
    >to it. I have a problem that starts when the power goes out. After it is
    >restored the Linksys assigns a new assortment of IP addresses. This is all
    >fine EXCEPT for my printer, whose IP address is included in the unchanging
    >"printer properties" of several PCs. How can I tell the WRT54G to save an
    >IP assignment? Thanks!

  4. Re: permanent DHCP IP assignments?

    OK that sounds great, but I looked at the WRT54G setup html pages and can't
    figure out how to do it. Do I tell the router? do I tell the printer? I
    have to "stop and ask for directions" here - thanks in advance.

    "RBM" wrote in message
    > The linksys will assign ip addresses from 192.168.1.100 through
    > 192.168.1.149 so you can give the printer a static ip address below or
    > above those numbers, such as 192.168.1.4 and it won't be affected by the
    > DHCP
    >

    > "Steve" wrote in message
    >>I have a Linksys WRT54G. It assigns IP addresses to all the items
    >>attached to it. I have a problem that starts when the power goes out.
    >>After it is restored the Linksys assigns a new assortment of IP addresses.
    >>This is all fine EXCEPT for my printer, whose IP address is included in
    >>the unchanging "printer properties" of several PCs. How can I tell the
    >>WRT54G to save an IP assignment? Thanks!

  5. Re: permanent DHCP IP assignments?

    "Steve" wrote in message
    > OK that sounds great, but I looked at the WRT54G setup html pages and
    > can't figure out how to do it. Do I tell the router? do I tell the
    > printer? I have to "stop and ask for directions" here - thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > "RBM" wrote in message
    >> The linksys will assign ip addresses from 192.168.1.100 through
    >> 192.168.1.149 so you can give the printer a static ip address below or
    >> above those numbers, such as 192.168.1.4 and it won't be affected by the
    >> DHCP
    >>

    >> "Steve" wrote in message
    >>>I have a Linksys WRT54G. It assigns IP addresses to all the items
    >>>attached to it. I have a problem that starts when the power goes out.
    >>>After it is restored the Linksys assigns a new assortment of IP
    >>>addresses. This is all fine EXCEPT for my printer, whose IP address is
    >>>included in the unchanging "printer properties" of several PCs. How can
    >>>I tell the WRT54G to save an IP assignment? Thanks!

    I don't know about your particular router but on the one I have here (a BT
    Voyager 2091) I go to the DHCP server settings and then there is a section
    to "reserve" an IP address for a particular MAC address. You can still let
    the DHCP server assign random addresses to the PCs but to issue a reserved
    ip to the mac address of the printer.

    John.

  6. Re: permanent DHCP IP assignments?

    go into your router set up and limit the addresses it gives out to a single
    range outside your printers address.
    I have 3 computers and a printer on a wired network and is stet up like
    this..

    Printer static IP = 192.168.2.200
    DHCP Range 192.168.2.10 - 20

    Or you can go in and tell each computer through network properties and tell
    it the ip and mask and gateway
    which would be tedious in a large network... thats why DHCP was invented LOL

    good luck HTH

    KK

    "Steve" wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys WRT54G. It assigns IP addresses to all the items

    attached
    > to it. I have a problem that starts when the power goes out. After it is
    > restored the Linksys assigns a new assortment of IP addresses. This is

    all
    > fine EXCEPT for my printer, whose IP address is included in the unchanging
    > "printer properties" of several PCs. How can I tell the WRT54G to save an
    > IP assignment? Thanks!

  7. Re: permanent DHCP IP assignments?

    OK this is embarrassing. I found I can change the IP address on the printer
    itself (Brother 7820N). I set it to an IP outside the DCHP range and now it
    works great...

    1.. Press the Menu or Menu/Set key then select LAN.
    2.. Select Setup TCP/IP and then select IP Address.
    3.. Enter the IP Address.
    Thanks to all for their suggestions.

    Steve

    "John" wrote in message

    > "Steve" wrote in message
    >> OK that sounds great, but I looked at the WRT54G setup html pages and
    >> can't figure out how to do it. Do I tell the router? do I tell the
    >> printer? I have to "stop and ask for directions" here - thanks in
    >> advance.
    >>
    >> "RBM" wrote in message
    >>> The linksys will assign ip addresses from 192.168.1.100 through
    >>> 192.168.1.149 so you can give the printer a static ip address below or
    >>> above those numbers, such as 192.168.1.4 and it won't be affected by
    >>> the DHCP
    >>>

    >>> "Steve" wrote in message

    > I don't know about your particular router but on the one I have here (a BT
    > Voyager 2091) I go to the DHCP server settings and then there is a section
    > to "reserve" an IP address for a particular MAC address. You can still let
    > the DHCP server assign random addresses to the PCs but to issue a reserved
    > ip to the mac address of the printer.
    >
    > John.

+ Reply to Thread