When my PC connects, it downloads the status page from my
router, gets the router's external IP, and uploads that to a
site. If I ssh out to a shell provider, I can access connect
to that site, and connect to the apache2 or ssh servers running
on my machine since ports are forwarded to my machine. If I try
to connect directly, I get "ERROR: unable to connect to remote
host," I have to use localhost or to connect directly.

I'm hoping to remedy this, as I don't see why I shouldn't be able
to connect to my router's external IP, but routing isn't my strong
suit, and I'm at a loss.

Router (Westell VersaLink 327W)

IP Interfaces

Address Subnet Mask Name lo0 eth0 mainPPP

Network Routing Table

Destination Subnet Mask Gateway Interface Metric Rip mainPPP 0 N/A eth0 0 N/A

Host Routing Table

Destination Gateway Interface Metric Rip lo0 0 N/A lo0 0 N/A lo0 0 N/A

Local machine

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:20:78:1D:50:36
inet addr: Bcast: Mask:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface * U 0 0 0 eth0
default dsl UG 0 0 0 eth0

Michael C.
mcsuper5@usol.com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

The most valuable gift you can give to another is a good example.