QoS for Netopia 5300 T1 - Routers

This is a discussion on QoS for Netopia 5300 T1 - Routers ; I have a client that is running both data and voice over their T-1 line with terrible results. Does anyone know if the Netopia R-Series 5300 T-1 router has any QoS settings that will allow me to prioritize voice first ...

  1. QoS for Netopia 5300 T1

    I have a client that is running both data and voice over their T-1 line
    with terrible results. Does anyone know if the Netopia R-Series 5300
    T-1 router has any QoS settings that will allow me to prioritize voice
    first and then data?

  2. Re: QoS for Netopia 5300 T1

    Floyd Kelley wrote:

    > I have a client that is running both data and voice over their T-1 line
    > with terrible results. Does anyone know if the Netopia R-Series 5300
    > T-1 router has any QoS settings that will allow me to prioritize voice
    > first and then data?

    Floyd;

    More than likely the answer is NO. The probable reason is that the 5300 is
    rather old and the QoS is newer. Netopia does have the 45/46xx series
    which are much newer version of what the 5300 is. Also, depending on the
    amount of traffic they also have other ENT (enterprise class) models with
    QoS as well.

    Take a look at www.netopia.com

    Bob

  3. Re: QoS for Netopia 5300 T1

    "bobmct" wrote in message
    > Floyd Kelley wrote:
    >
    > > I have a client that is running both data and voice over their T-1 line
    > > with terrible results. Does anyone know if the Netopia R-Series 5300
    > > T-1 router has any QoS settings that will allow me to prioritize voice
    > > first and then data?

    > Floyd;
    >
    > More than likely the answer is NO.

    While the R-series does not have the best in QOS, it does offer the
    following QOS
    In ATM it has UBR and CBR
    In IP it has TOS bit prioritization
    So the voice ip packets can be prioritized

  4. Re: QoS for Netopia 5300 T1

    "bobmct" wrote in message
    > Floyd Kelley wrote:
    >
    > > I have a client that is running both data and voice over their T-1 line
    > > with terrible results. Does anyone know if the Netopia R-Series 5300
    > > T-1 router has any QoS settings that will allow me to prioritize voice
    > > first and then data?

    > Floyd;
    >
    > More than likely the answer is NO. The probable reason is that the 5300

    is
    > rather old and the QoS is newer. Netopia does have the 45/46xx series
    > which are much newer version of what the 5300 is. Also, depending on the
    > amount of traffic they also have other ENT (enterprise class) models with
    > QoS as well.
    >
    > Take a look at www.netopia.com

    http://www.netopia.com/equipment/pdf/spec/rseries.pdf
    Shows that the R series does IP tos bit prioritization

    > Bob

  5. Re: QoS for Netopia 5300 T1

    "Floyd Kelley" wrote in message
    news:1161202049.498979.27040@f16g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > I have a client that is running both data and voice over their T-1 line
    > with terrible results. Does anyone know if the Netopia R-Series 5300
    > T-1 router has any QoS settings that will allow me to prioritize voice
    > first and then data?

    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardw...411-54-851.pdf

    Look in chapter two for priority queuing (tos bit) commands

    See if this helps

  6. Re: QoS for Netopia 5300 T1

    "Floyd Kelley" wrote in message
    news:1161202049.498979.27040@f16g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > I have a client that is running both data and voice over their T-1 line
    > with terrible results. Does anyone know if the Netopia R-Series 5300
    > T-1 router has any QoS settings that will allow me to prioritize voice
    > first and then data?

    Even better if you have the latter version software, it will do DIFFSERV
    which may be more flexible for your app.

+ Reply to Thread