Router Port Forwarding - Routers

This is a discussion on Router Port Forwarding - Routers ; Hi all, My home setup is somewhat silly, but it is the way it is since we're sharing a cable connection between houses and don't want to buy new hardware. We have the cable modem feeding into a netgear wgt624 ...

  1. Router Port Forwarding

    Hi all,

    My home setup is somewhat silly, but it is the way it is since we're
    sharing a cable connection between houses and don't want to buy new
    hardware.

    We have the cable modem feeding into a netgear wgt624 router. This
    connects one computer and then sends out a line which feeds into our
    linksys BEFSX41 router.

    This linksys router then connects two computers.

    The setup works fine, and quickly for internet browsing, downloading,
    and uploading.

    The problem I'm having is with connecting a VOIP box to this second
    router to make calls. I can make calls but I lose them after about 30
    seconds, pretty consistently.

    My VOIP company suggested this:

    If you have a router before the adapter, please make sure you have
    ports
    69;5060-5063; 10,000-20,000UDP forwarded in your router configuration
    the IP address of your device. You can also put the phone adapter in
    the
    DMZ (demilitarized zone) of your router.

    I would understand how to do this if the chain was modem->router->VOIP
    box, but since it's actually modem->router->router->VOIP box, I'm a bit
    confused.

    Right now, both routers are using DHCP and all IP addresses are
    generated automatically.

    My question is, assuming the first router will stay as DHCP, how do I
    configure the whole thing?

    Should I be activating the port forwarding in the first or second
    router?

    Will I need a static IP for the second router or just for the computers
    and VOIP box connected to it?

    What about DNS, subnet and gateway?

    I have DNS numbers, just not sure what to do with them exactly.

    Many thanks to anyone who gets this and can give me a hand. I hope this
    is the right place to post this. If there's a better spot, I'd
    appreciate some redirection.

    Thanks very much,
    Larry

  2. Re: Router Port Forwarding

    Normally, for small networks is a good ideia to put the first router
    as dhcp server, and the second with dhcp disabled. Unless you need to
    have two networks (1 with each router) and connected to each other,
    disabling dhcp on the second router is better.
    I don't know if with this configuration when you select the dmz for
    the voip box it will work. Another guess, case you havent tried is to
    set the voip box's ip address in the dmz for both routers.

    larrylebron@gmail.com escreveu em 17-10-2006 20:27:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My home setup is somewhat silly, but it is the way it is since we're
    > sharing a cable connection between houses and don't want to buy new
    > hardware.
    >
    > We have the cable modem feeding into a netgear wgt624 router. This
    > connects one computer and then sends out a line which feeds into our
    > linksys BEFSX41 router.
    >
    > This linksys router then connects two computers.
    >
    > The setup works fine, and quickly for internet browsing, downloading,
    > and uploading.
    >
    > The problem I'm having is with connecting a VOIP box to this second
    > router to make calls. I can make calls but I lose them after about 30
    > seconds, pretty consistently.
    >
    > My VOIP company suggested this:
    >
    > If you have a router before the adapter, please make sure you have
    > ports
    > 69;5060-5063; 10,000-20,000UDP forwarded in your router configuration
    > the IP address of your device. You can also put the phone adapter in
    > the
    > DMZ (demilitarized zone) of your router.
    >
    > I would understand how to do this if the chain was modem->router->VOIP
    > box, but since it's actually modem->router->router->VOIP box, I'm a bit
    > confused.
    >
    > Right now, both routers are using DHCP and all IP addresses are
    > generated automatically.
    >
    > My question is, assuming the first router will stay as DHCP, how do I
    > configure the whole thing?
    >
    > Should I be activating the port forwarding in the first or second
    > router?
    >
    > Will I need a static IP for the second router or just for the computers
    > and VOIP box connected to it?
    >
    > What about DNS, subnet and gateway?
    >
    > I have DNS numbers, just not sure what to do with them exactly.
    >
    > Many thanks to anyone who gets this and can give me a hand. I hope this
    > is the right place to post this. If there's a better spot, I'd
    > appreciate some redirection.
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    > Larry

+ Reply to Thread