Re: Updating firmware or otherwise unlocking RTP300 - Routers

This is a discussion on Re: Updating firmware or otherwise unlocking RTP300 - Routers ; "Brian A" wrote in message news:ck79j29s6gncbu1644iv237ohgf08m99hp@4ax.com... > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:46:33 -0400, "news.rcn.com" > wrote: > >>I have US Vonage service and am paying about $35 a month for the 15 buck a >>month service plus international calls ...

  1. Re: Updating firmware or otherwise unlocking RTP300

    "Brian A" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:46:33 -0400, "news.rcn.com"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have US Vonage service and am paying about $35 a month for the 15 buck a
    >>month service plus international calls for which they charge me. I want
    >>change service if they want to overcharge me for this service, especially
    >>as
    >>I discovered that Vonage charge me 30 cents a minute for calls to cellular
    >>phones abroad whereas Broadvoice 'only' charge 23 cents.
    >>
    >>I just got connected to an VOIPFone service and wanted to change to
    >>Broadvoice who will charge a flat $20 for all this service and provide me
    >>with the same Linksys RTP300 router. But THEN I discovered that like the
    >>Vonage service, Broadvoice's routers are locked into their
    >>service and I can't use the unused second RS232 port for the UK VOIP
    >>provider.
    >>
    >>Is there a way of unlocking any of these RTP300 routers by for example
    >>changing or updating the firmware?

    > I can't help you with the unlocking but, if you are not able to unlock
    > it, have you considered buying your own box, independently of a VSP?
    > That would, with most hardware, permit routing, automatically, based
    > on a dial plan, via a variety of providers depending on the call
    > type. The providers who offer subsidised locked boxes do so because
    > they know that they can rip you off, with on going inflated charges,
    > in the longer term.

    Yes, I think you are right on that one: The only problem is that there are
    apparently first tier and second tier VOIP services, and the first tier ones
    give performance like the Telcos whereas the second tier ones drop calls,
    cant apportion bandwidth properly, have crackly lines etc

    Thus far all I have discovered about the firs tier ones are that they are
    Vonage and Broadvoice both of which supply their own boxes. It SEEMS to me
    that buying your own SIP or router makes the whole process no longer cost
    effective.

    > If you are calling internationally, particularly to mobiles, you might
    > also consider using a company from a different country. For example,
    > I don't use UK companies for international calling as I can route far
    > cheaper via a foreign VSP.

    That is exactly what I want to do with this European VOIP service which I
    cant seem to connect up!!

    There are hundreds listed on the Sipbroker
    > web site. Find one that you think looks good and then check them out,
    > for reliability etc., on a suitable forum.
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    > Skype Free Zone!!

  2. Re: Updating firmware or otherwise unlocking RTP300

    >Yes, I think you are right on that one: The only problem is that there are
    >apparently first tier and second tier VOIP services, and the first tier ones
    >give performance like the Telcos whereas the second tier ones drop calls,
    >cant apportion bandwidth properly, have crackly lines etc

    I think that much of this is hype. There are several good UK
    providers. I don't have any technical trouble with my main UK VSP.
    If you pick a good provider I think that they will be as good as
    Vonage and Co. Further, if you are independent you can always dial out
    via an alternative VSP if your usual one went down. However, I have
    not tried any U.S. VSPs for anything serious so I don't know how the
    reliability of U.S. VSPs compare to those of the UK.

    >Thus far all I have discovered about the firs tier ones are that they are
    >Vonage and Broadvoice both of which supply their own boxes. It SEEMS to me
    >that buying your own SIP or router makes the whole process no longer cost
    >effective.

    You only have to buy your equipment once - this isn't an ongoing cost
    as with a VSP. I think that it is definitely worth buying your own
    gear that you can control. Far better than being tied to one VSP.
    I know that some people do have sucess with unlocking but, even if you
    adopt a tried and tested method it is still possible to get a glitch,
    during flashing, and end up with a paperweight.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Skype Free Zone!!

+ Reply to Thread