Help,such a thing as software router? - Routers

This is a discussion on Help,such a thing as software router? - Routers ; The situation is: I have a PC (XP) and a thing that is design to plug into the ethernet port of a router to make it wireless (from FON). I don't have a router. Question: Can I make the PC ...

  1. Help,such a thing as software router?

    The situation is:

    I have a PC (XP) and a thing that is design to plug into the ethernet port
    of a router to make it wireless (from FON). I don't have a router.

    Question:

    Can I make the PC act like a router?

    Reason:

    The ADSL modem I do have connects only via USB (no ethernet output).

    I suspect there must be a way (PC can do what a router does surely). But
    how? Or am I wrong?

    Cheers J

  2. Re: Help,such a thing as software router?

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:46:06 +0100, "jusholm"
    wrote:

    >Reason:
    >
    >The ADSL modem I do have connects only via USB (no ethernet output).

    Yes, it is possible, but I'd recommend getting a better ADSL modem
    first.

  3. Re: Help,such a thing as software router?

    "PeterD" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:46:06 +0100, "jusholm"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Reason:
    >>
    >>The ADSL modem I do have connects only via USB (no ethernet output).
    >>

    > Yes, it is possible, but I'd recommend getting a better ADSL modem
    > first.

    How is it possible with my current setup?

  4. Re: Help,such a thing as software router?

    jusholm wrote:
    > The situation is:
    >
    > I have a PC (XP) and a thing that is design to plug into the ethernet port
    > of a router to make it wireless (from FON). I don't have a router.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > Can I make the PC act like a router?
    >
    > Reason:
    >
    > The ADSL modem I do have connects only via USB (no ethernet output).
    >
    > I suspect there must be a way (PC can do what a router does surely). But
    > how? Or am I wrong?
    >
    > Cheers J

    J:

    There are such things as USB to Ethernet adapters.

    http://www.cablesnmor.com/usb-ethernet.html

    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=133&sec=1

    http://usbstuff.com/network.html

    For the price though you might be able to find a real router that
    has both USB and Ethernet ports. Maybe even WiFi too.

    HTH & GL

    John

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

    John Dulak Gnomeway Services

  5. Re: Help,such a thing as software router?

    Actually my PC has a built in ethernet port (into which the Fon wifi thing
    is connected www.fon.com). It is the modem that has only USB (output/male).
    Essentially I want to 'route' the incoming internet from the USB to the
    ethernet port using software (I guess).

    "John Dulak" wrote in message
    > jusholm wrote:
    >> The situation is:
    >>
    >> I have a PC (XP) and a thing that is design to plug into the ethernet
    >> port of a router to make it wireless (from FON). I don't have a router.
    >>
    >> Question:
    >>
    >> Can I make the PC act like a router?
    >>
    >> Reason:
    >>
    >> The ADSL modem I do have connects only via USB (no ethernet output).
    >>
    >> I suspect there must be a way (PC can do what a router does surely). But
    >> how? Or am I wrong?
    >>
    >> Cheers J

    > J:
    >
    > There are such things as USB to Ethernet adapters.
    >
    > http://www.cablesnmor.com/usb-ethernet.html
    >
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=133&sec=1
    >
    > http://usbstuff.com/network.html
    >
    > For the price though you might be able to find a real router that has both
    > USB and Ethernet ports. Maybe even WiFi too.
    >
    > HTH & GL
    >
    > John
    >

    > --
    > \\\||///
    > ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------
    > ----------------------------()--------------------------
    > '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''
    >
    > John Dulak Gnomeway Services

  6. Re: Help,such a thing as software router?

    Use the ICS (internet connection sharing). Just run the home network
    wizard from xp and see the examples. You'll select "this pc connetcs
    directly to the internet and the other computers connect to this on" or
    something like it.

    jusholm escreveu em 14-10-2006 9:51:
    > Actually my PC has a built in ethernet port (into which the Fon wifi thing
    > is connected www.fon.com). It is the modem that has only USB (output/male).
    > Essentially I want to 'route' the incoming internet from the USB to the
    > ethernet port using software (I guess).
    >
    > "John Dulak" wrote in message
    >> jusholm wrote:
    >>> The situation is:
    >>>
    >>> I have a PC (XP) and a thing that is design to plug into the ethernet
    >>> port of a router to make it wireless (from FON). I don't have a router.
    >>>
    >>> Question:
    >>>
    >>> Can I make the PC act like a router?
    >>>
    >>> Reason:
    >>>
    >>> The ADSL modem I do have connects only via USB (no ethernet output).
    >>>
    >>> I suspect there must be a way (PC can do what a router does surely). But
    >>> how? Or am I wrong?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers J

    >> J:
    >>
    >> There are such things as USB to Ethernet adapters.
    >>
    >> http://www.cablesnmor.com/usb-ethernet.html
    >>
    >> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=133&sec=1
    >>
    >> http://usbstuff.com/network.html
    >>
    >> For the price though you might be able to find a real router that has both
    >> USB and Ethernet ports. Maybe even WiFi too.
    >>
    >> HTH & GL
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    >> --
    >> \\\||///
    >> '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''
    >>
    >> John Dulak Gnomeway Services

+ Reply to Thread