Newbie network problem. Please HELP!! - Routers

This is a discussion on Newbie network problem. Please HELP!! - Routers ; Hello All, I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has belkin usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs. Both my sons are using laptops one with another belkin dongle which works fine ...

  1. Newbie network problem. Please HELP!!

    Hello All,

    I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has belkin
    usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs.

    Both my sons are using laptops one with another belkin dongle which works
    fine and the other which is a wireless packardbell easynote 1 series (model
    number R1935)

    I have enabled the wireless bit on the laptop and it either searches and
    spends ages `aquiring the network` or it fails to locate the network (even
    though it is less than 10ft away)

    I cannot for the life of me figure out the problem.

    Any suggestions?

    Also is it possible to link the 3 computers wirelessly to enable file share
    and acces?

    Ta in advance.

  2. Re: Newbie network problem. Please HELP!!

    Hi
    May be this can Help for the Wireless problem.
    File sharing is the same for Wire, or and Wireless. Any computer that can
    connected to the Router (Wire or Wireless) can be configured for File
    Sharing.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "The Forgotten" wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has
    > belkin usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs.
    >
    > Both my sons are using laptops one with another belkin dongle which works
    > fine and the other which is a wireless packardbell easynote 1 series
    > (model number R1935)
    >
    > I have enabled the wireless bit on the laptop and it either searches and
    > spends ages `aquiring the network` or it fails to locate the network (even
    > though it is less than 10ft away)
    >
    > I cannot for the life of me figure out the problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > Also is it possible to link the 3 computers wirelessly to enable file
    > share and acces?
    >

    > Ta in advance.

  3. Re: Newbie network problem. Please HELP!!

    "The Forgotten" wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has
    > belkin usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs.

    I solved it.. YAY!!!

  4. Re: Newbie network problem. Please HELP!!

    The Forgotten wrote :-

    > I solved it.. YAY!!!

    Well, that is good news and maybe you might care to share the details!
    Perhaps we can all benefit.

    Mart

  5. Re: Newbie network problem. Please HELP!!

    "Mart" wrote in message
    > The Forgotten wrote :-
    >
    >> I solved it.. YAY!!!

    > Well, that is good news and maybe you might care to share the details!
    > Perhaps we can all benefit.
    >
    > Mart

    the belkin router has set ip gateways 192.165.x.x

    the fisrt two pcs (using belkin usb wireless thingies) were taking the first
    two ips...

    so i changed the ip add of the 3rd laptop and its dns gateways to look for
    the 3rd ip in the running order and set the gateways to the same as the
    routers. BINGO surf away..
    the only trouble is it is unsecured.. so i need to set it up with a pascode.
    when i tried initially it did not work for the 3rd laptop., but hey i will
    get round it

  6. Re: Newbie network problem. Please HELP!!

    Well done! - and thanks for sharing

    Mart

    > "Mart" wrote in message
    >> The Forgotten wrote :-
    >>
    >>> I solved it.. YAY!!!

    >> Well, that is good news and maybe you might care to share the details!
    >> Perhaps we can all benefit.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    > the belkin router has set ip gateways 192.165.x.x
    >
    > the fisrt two pcs (using belkin usb wireless thingies) were taking the
    > first two ips...
    >
    > so i changed the ip add of the 3rd laptop and its dns gateways to look for
    > the 3rd ip in the running order and set the gateways to the same as the
    > routers. BINGO surf away..
    > the only trouble is it is unsecured.. so i need to set it up with a
    > pascode. when i tried initially it did not work for the 3rd laptop., but
    > hey i will get round it

  7. Re: Newbie network problem. Please HELP!!

    The Forgotten wrote:

    > I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has
    > belkin usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs.

    [...]
    > I have enabled the wireless bit on the laptop and it either searches and
    > spends ages `aquiring the network` or it fails to locate the network (even
    > though it is less than 10ft away)

    Belkin makes absolutely terrible routers and is probably the source of your
    problem. I had similar problems at a friend's house with their Belkin
    router. Nothing would get it to work with my not-Belkin wifi card (theirs
    worked fine, they use a Belkin card). They also happened to have a spare
    Linksys WRT router laying around, though: Replacing the Belkin router
    caused the problem to go away immediately.

  8. Re: Newbie network problem. Please HELP!!

    I've had a lot of problems with Belkin routers that disappeared when I
    went to D-Link or Linksys.

    The Forgotten wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has belkin
    > usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs.
    >
    > Both my sons are using laptops one with another belkin dongle which works
    > fine and the other which is a wireless packardbell easynote 1 series (model
    > number R1935)
    >
    > I have enabled the wireless bit on the laptop and it either searches and
    > spends ages `aquiring the network` or it fails to locate the network (even
    > though it is less than 10ft away)
    >
    > I cannot for the life of me figure out the problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > Also is it possible to link the 3 computers wirelessly to enable file share
    > and acces?
    >

    > Ta in advance.

+ Reply to Thread