Wireless connection not working on Netgear WNR834B router - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless connection not working on Netgear WNR834B router - Routers ; I just purchased a new Netgear RangeNax NEXT Wireless-N router (model is WNR834B) but I have already spent about 8 hours attempting to get a decent wireless connection out of it. When connecting to the router wired I get an ...

  1. Wireless connection not working on Netgear WNR834B router

    I just purchased a new Netgear RangeNax NEXT Wireless-N router (model
    is WNR834B) but I have already spent about 8 hours attempting to get a
    decent wireless connection out of it.

    When connecting to the router wired I get an excellent connection speed
    but when I try to connect wireless, the speed is incredibly slow,
    almost non-existent, even though I'm getting an excellent signal. When
    connected, it sometimes says that the speed is over 240Mbps but that is
    obviously not true.

    I already ruled out my wireless adapter being the cause of this because
    I can connect to other wireless networks perfectly. I also tried moving
    the router to different locations inside my apartment but none have
    made any difference. I tried changing to several different channels and
    nothing.

    Pinging the router gives me speeds of <1 ms when connected wired and
    between
    2 and 2000 ms when connected wireless averaging about 15 to 30% packet
    loss.

    I'm running out of ideas here. Is there something I could do, something
    I could be missing? Please let me know of any useful information you
    might need from me to determine the proper solution to my problem.
    Thank!.

  2. Re: Wireless connection not working on Netgear WNR834B router

    I had a similiar issue with my wireless setup, I found it was my MTU and
    pppoe windows settings were out, a program called tcp optimizer can do it
    all for you, also run the program on both computers. slide the packet (i
    think its MTU bar, cant remember hte program) size bar all the way to the
    right if you have faster broadband. good luck

    wrote in message
    news:1160367047.380205.299300@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    >I just purchased a new Netgear RangeNax NEXT Wireless-N router (model
    > is WNR834B) but I have already spent about 8 hours attempting to get a
    > decent wireless connection out of it.
    >
    > When connecting to the router wired I get an excellent connection speed
    > but when I try to connect wireless, the speed is incredibly slow,
    > almost non-existent, even though I'm getting an excellent signal. When
    > connected, it sometimes says that the speed is over 240Mbps but that is
    > obviously not true.
    >
    > I already ruled out my wireless adapter being the cause of this because
    > I can connect to other wireless networks perfectly. I also tried moving
    > the router to different locations inside my apartment but none have
    > made any difference. I tried changing to several different channels and
    > nothing.
    >
    > Pinging the router gives me speeds of <1 ms when connected wired and
    > between
    > 2 and 2000 ms when connected wireless averaging about 15 to 30% packet
    > loss.
    >
    > I'm running out of ideas here. Is there something I could do, something
    > I could be missing? Please let me know of any useful information you
    > might need from me to determine the proper solution to my problem.
    > Thank!.

  3. Re: Wireless connection not working on Netgear WNR834B router

    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php <-- go there to get the things you
    need.

    post back with results.. cheers.

    wrote in message
    news:1160367047.380205.299300@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    >I just purchased a new Netgear RangeNax NEXT Wireless-N router (model
    > is WNR834B) but I have already spent about 8 hours attempting to get a
    > decent wireless connection out of it.
    >
    > When connecting to the router wired I get an excellent connection speed
    > but when I try to connect wireless, the speed is incredibly slow,
    > almost non-existent, even though I'm getting an excellent signal. When
    > connected, it sometimes says that the speed is over 240Mbps but that is
    > obviously not true.
    >
    > I already ruled out my wireless adapter being the cause of this because
    > I can connect to other wireless networks perfectly. I also tried moving
    > the router to different locations inside my apartment but none have
    > made any difference. I tried changing to several different channels and
    > nothing.
    >
    > Pinging the router gives me speeds of <1 ms when connected wired and
    > between
    > 2 and 2000 ms when connected wireless averaging about 15 to 30% packet
    > loss.
    >
    > I'm running out of ideas here. Is there something I could do, something
    > I could be missing? Please let me know of any useful information you
    > might need from me to determine the proper solution to my problem.
    > Thank!.

  4. Re: Wireless connection not working on Netgear WNR834B router

    Thanks for your suggestions. I tried the TCPOptimizer application but
    unfortunately, nothing I changed has helped at all. In fact, nothing I
    have done since I installed the router has made any difference
    whatsoever. Changing the channels and other settings in the router, the
    location of the router to avoid interference, the registry settings,
    etc. have all resulted in the same outcome: incredibly slow wireless
    connection, incredibly fast wired connection.

    The only thing that makes sense to me now is that either the router is
    malfunctional (the wireless functionality) or that my ISP (comcast) is
    doing something that is affecting the wireless speed, although I don't
    think that's possible (please correct me if I'm wrong).

    As a last resort I'm going to attempt using another wireless router to
    see if it works better. If it does, then we have an answer. If not,
    then I'm screwed.

    If you have any other suggestions they will be welcomed. Thanks again!

  5. Re: Wireless connection not working on Netgear WNR834B router

    I used a linksys wireless router that I borrowed last night and guess
    what?... it worked perfectly. In less than five minutes I was able to
    go through pages like on any other decent wireless connection I've
    used. I guess this proves my theory that the Netgear router must be
    defective.

    I'm obviously returning the router and getting a new one.

    Regards.

  6. Re: Wireless connection not working on Netgear WNR834B router

    gabriel.salama@gmail.com writes:

    > I just purchased a new Netgear RangeNax NEXT Wireless-N router (model
    > is WNR834B) but I have already spent about 8 hours attempting to get a
    > decent wireless connection out of it.
    >
    > When connecting to the router wired I get an excellent connection speed
    > but when I try to connect wireless, the speed is incredibly slow,

    Reduce your MTU/MRU - Google will help.

+ Reply to Thread