help: What should I buy? - Routers

This is a discussion on help: What should I buy? - Routers ; Group, I have 4 computers in one room, on one desk. The Cable modem/wireless router is in another room. To hook up 4 computers, I will need to buy 4 wireless card. Is there any device which will talk to ...

  1. help: What should I buy?

    Group,

    I have 4 computers in one room, on one desk. The Cable modem/wireless
    router is in another room. To hook up 4 computers, I will need to buy
    4 wireless card.

    Is there any device which will talk to wireless router wirelessly and
    can hook 4 computers by wire?

    Thanks very much for your help.

  2. Re: help: What should I buy?

    On 31 Aug 2006 10:17:33 -0700, emdproduction@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Group,
    >
    >I have 4 computers in one room, on one desk. The Cable modem/wireless
    >router is in another room. To hook up 4 computers, I will need to buy
    >4 wireless card.
    >
    >Is there any device which will talk to wireless router wirelessly and
    >can hook 4 computers by wire?
    >
    >Thanks very much for your help.

    2 access points will do that, but they are not cheap either. You plug
    one access point into the router, the other access point gets the
    computers plugged into it. The 2 access points talk to each other
    wirelessly.

  3. Re: help: What should I buy?

    I think you might be able to use a wireless ethernet bridge along with
    a hub or switch.
    Can anyone validate this?

    --Fritz

    f/fgeorge wrote:
    > On 31 Aug 2006 10:17:33 -0700, emdproduction@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >Group,
    > >
    > >I have 4 computers in one room, on one desk. The Cable modem/wireless
    > >router is in another room. To hook up 4 computers, I will need to buy
    > >4 wireless card.
    > >
    > >Is there any device which will talk to wireless router wirelessly and
    > >can hook 4 computers by wire?
    > >
    > >Thanks very much for your help.

    > 2 access points will do that, but they are not cheap either. You plug
    > one access point into the router, the other access point gets the
    > computers plugged into it. The 2 access points talk to each other
    > wirelessly.

  4. Re: help: What should I buy?

    There is also the possibility of getting a wireless card for one of the
    computers, and using Microsoft's "Internet Connection Sharing" (look it
    up for details and easy setup), which is built in to 98/2000/XP.

    I know this works. Only problem is that you will need to have the
    'wireless' computer turned on for the others to get a connection. You
    will also need an additional wired (ethernet) connection in the
    wireless computer plus a hub or switch to connect the other wired
    connections to your new subnet.

    Fritz wrote:
    > I think you might be able to use a wireless ethernet bridge along with
    > a hub or switch.
    > Can anyone validate this?
    >
    > --Fritz

+ Reply to Thread