Wireless Networking - Multiple Access Points - Inherit Settings ? - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless Networking - Multiple Access Points - Inherit Settings ? - Routers ; Hello, We currently have 6 wireless access points dotted around our office which gives us the cover we require. We are soon to be moving to new offices that are at least three times the size so we are going ...

  1. Wireless Networking - Multiple Access Points - Inherit Settings ?

    Hello,

    We currently have 6 wireless access points dotted around our office which
    gives us the cover we require. We are soon to be moving to new offices that
    are at least three times the size so we are going to require a lot of access
    points to make sure that the entire building has wireless coverage.

    My question is this ... we currently have to remote connect to each wireless
    access point and add a new device's MAC address to the access list (as we
    use this form of security in addition to a WEP key). This is becoming
    tiresome with 6 access points, but when we could conceivable have around 15
    access points, this is just not a manageable job. Is there anyway of having
    access points pick up the access settings of other access points so that we
    only need to input the MAC address in one place and all the others with
    "inherit" the details? We currently use Netgear WG602 54Mbps wireless access
    points and are quite happy to continue using these if this problem we have
    can be overcome somehow (and that involves using the same model of AP
    throughout).

    Any thoughts? I'm sure other large businesses have had to try and overcome a
    similar administrative nightmare?

    Best regards,
    Robert Stokes

  2. Re: Wireless Networking - Multiple Access Points - Inherit Settings ?

    From: "Robert Stokes"

    | Hello,
    |
    | We currently have 6 wireless access points dotted around our office which
    | gives us the cover we require. We are soon to be moving to new offices that
    | are at least three times the size so we are going to require a lot of access
    | points to make sure that the entire building has wireless coverage.
    |
    | My question is this ... we currently have to remote connect to each wireless
    | access point and add a new device's MAC address to the access list (as we
    | use this form of security in addition to a WEP key). This is becoming
    | tiresome with 6 access points, but when we could conceivable have around 15
    | access points, this is just not a manageable job. Is there anyway of having
    | access points pick up the access settings of other access points so that we
    | only need to input the MAC address in one place and all the others with
    | "inherit" the details? We currently use Netgear WG602 54Mbps wireless access
    | points and are quite happy to continue using these if this problem we have
    | can be overcome somehow (and that involves using the same model of AP
    | throughout).
    |
    | Any thoughts? I'm sure other large businesses have had to try and overcome a
    | similar administrative nightmare?
    |
    | Best regards,
    | Robert Stokes

    My advice -- go wired !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  3. Re: Wireless Networking - Multiple Access Points - Inherit Settings ?

    Thanks for your invaluable advice David. Thanks for contributing ...

    Of course we are going wired as well - I'm having over 1,000 Cat6 cables
    pulled to fully network the entire building with gigabit throughout as well
    as some fibre, but I also want to provide users with wireless coverage.

    Any sensible suggestions ?

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message

    > From: "Robert Stokes"
    >

    > | Hello,
    > |
    > | We currently have 6 wireless access points dotted around our office
    > which
    > | gives us the cover we require. We are soon to be moving to new offices
    > that
    > | are at least three times the size so we are going to require a lot of
    > access
    > | points to make sure that the entire building has wireless coverage.
    > |
    > | My question is this ... we currently have to remote connect to each
    > wireless
    > | access point and add a new device's MAC address to the access list (as
    > we
    > | use this form of security in addition to a WEP key). This is becoming
    > | tiresome with 6 access points, but when we could conceivable have around
    > 15
    > | access points, this is just not a manageable job. Is there anyway of
    > having
    > | access points pick up the access settings of other access points so that
    > we
    > | only need to input the MAC address in one place and all the others with
    > | "inherit" the details? We currently use Netgear WG602 54Mbps wireless
    > access
    > | points and are quite happy to continue using these if this problem we
    > have
    > | can be overcome somehow (and that involves using the same model of AP
    > | throughout).
    > |
    > | Any thoughts? I'm sure other large businesses have had to try and
    > overcome a
    > | similar administrative nightmare?
    > |
    > | Best regards,
    > | Robert Stokes
    > |

    > My advice -- go wired !
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  4. Re: Wireless Networking - Multiple Access Points - Inherit Settings ?

    From: "Robert Stokes"

    | Thanks for your invaluable advice David. Thanks for contributing ...
    |
    | Of course we are going wired as well - I'm having over 1,000 Cat6 cables
    | pulled to fully network the entire building with gigabit throughout as well
    | as some fibre, but I also want to provide users with wireless coverage.
    |
    | Any sensible suggestions ?

    Find out about better WireLess antennas and arrays.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

+ Reply to Thread