setting up Apache through port 8081 with Westell 327 router - Routers

This is a discussion on setting up Apache through port 8081 with Westell 327 router - Routers ; I am currently running Apache2 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. My ISP blocks port 80 and I believe my router uses port 8080 so I opened port 8081, which I verified as visable through a web based port scanner. My Westell ...

  1. setting up Apache through port 8081 with Westell 327 router

    I am currently running Apache2 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. My ISP blocks port
    80 and I believe my router uses port 8080 so I opened port 8081, which
    I verified as visable through a web based port scanner. My Westell
    router info is:

    Model Number B90-327W15-06
    Software Version VER:03.02.01
    Software Model 4 Port Gateway
    Description WireSpeed Data Gateway
    Boot Loader VER:03.02.01
    Configuration 096-900096-01A

    Apache is working through localhost but I cannot seem to get Apache to
    work with my IP. My intentions are to use dyn dns so the I can host a
    small server with a domain name to play around with. I've tried
    several configurations with the routers port forwarding. My options
    are as follows:

    Port Fowarding Ranges of Ports
    Forward a range of WAN ports to
    an IP address on the LAN

    Trigger Ports
    Forward a range of ports to an IP
    address on the LAN only after
    specific outbound traffic

    I have selected the Port Fowarding Ranges of Ports option and
    configured it as follows:

    Global Port Range: 8081 -8081
    Base Host Port: 8081
    Protocol: TCP

    The config then prompts for these options:

    Host Device 192.168.1.47

    or specify

    IP Address

    When I enter my ISP IP address the I get the msg -Address in not part
    of the Private area subnet. Thus I leave the IP Address empty.

    My DNS Configuration has these options:

    User Assigned DNS

    Domain Name < I entered my ISP IP address>

    Static Host Assignment

    Host Name IP Address
    dsl router 192.168.1.1 Set
    deviceweb 192.168.1.1 Delete
    smartdevice 192.168.1.1 Delete
    < > < > Add

    I am not sure how the router should be set up to allow incoming traffic
    to my IP address port 8081 so that apache can do its thing. Any help
    pointing me in the right direction will be much appeciated. Let me
    know if more information is needed.

    Regards

    Dan

  2. Re: setting up Apache through port 8081 with Westell 327 router

    On 28 Aug 2006 10:53:02 -0700, rigelstar wrote:

    > I am currently running Apache2 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. My ISP blocks port
    > 80 and I believe my router uses port 8080 so I opened port 8081, which
    > I verified as visable through a web based port scanner. My Westell
    > router info is:
    >
    > Model Number B90-327W15-06
    > Software Version VER:03.02.01
    > Software Model 4 Port Gateway
    > Description WireSpeed Data Gateway
    > Boot Loader VER:03.02.01
    > Configuration 096-900096-01A
    >
    > Apache is working through localhost but I cannot seem to get Apache to
    > work with my IP. My intentions are to use dyn dns so the I can host a
    > small server with a domain name to play around with. I've tried
    > several configurations with the routers port forwarding. My options
    > are as follows:
    >
    > Port Fowarding Ranges of Ports
    > Forward a range of WAN ports to
    > an IP address on the LAN
    >
    > Trigger Ports
    > Forward a range of ports to an IP
    > address on the LAN only after
    > specific outbound traffic
    >
    > I have selected the Port Fowarding Ranges of Ports option and
    > configured it as follows:
    >
    > Global Port Range: 8081 -8081
    > Base Host Port: 8081
    > Protocol: TCP
    >
    > The config then prompts for these options:
    >
    > Host Device 192.168.1.47
    >
    > or specify
    >
    > IP Address
    >
    > When I enter my ISP IP address the I get the msg -Address in not part
    > of the Private area subnet. Thus I leave the IP Address empty.

    You need to put the ip address of the computer running apache here. So if
    192.168.1.10 is running apache you would enter 192.168.1.10, not the public
    ip address assigned by your ISP.

    > Regards
    >
    > Dan

+ Reply to Thread