Panic question @ Linksys WRT54G Security settings - Routers

This is a discussion on Panic question @ Linksys WRT54G Security settings - Routers ; Because I have been having such a problem installing this router, when I finally got past the *password* lockup, I filled in the security box without being sure of what it was. I thought it was WPA, when the box ...

  1. Panic question @ Linksys WRT54G Security settings

    Because I have been having such a problem installing this router, when I
    finally got past the *password* lockup, I filled in the security box without
    being sure of what it was. I thought it was WPA, when the box says it is
    WPA2. It has no instruction manual.

    How do I change this, and is it working at all, since I chose the wrong one?

    I went to the Linksys site, and most of their instructions about security
    are about WEP... I couldn't find WPA and WPA2 info. I'm freaking out about
    not knowing *how to check* what[IF ANY] security I have.

    Someone please advise me, how I can stop the SSID broadcast and change my
    type of security. TIA....

    Barbara

  2. Re: Panic question @ Linksys WRT54G Security settings

    > Because I have been having such a problem installing this router, when
    > I finally got past the *password* lockup, I filled in the security box
    > without being sure of what it was. I thought it was WPA, when the box
    > says it is WPA2. It has no instruction manual.
    >
    > How do I change this, and is it working at all, since I chose the
    > wrong one?
    >
    > Someone please advise me, how I can stop the SSID broadcast and change
    > my type of security. TIA....

    I got the instruction manual ("Users Guide") as a PDF file either at the
    linksys web site or on the CD that came with the router, I forget which.

    Using a web browser, go to the link http://192.168.1.1/. This is the
    router's management web page.

    There are several tabs: Setup, Wireless, Security, etc. Each has several
    sub-tabs.

    To change from WPA2 to a different kind of security, use the "Wireless" tab
    and the "Wireless security" sub-tab.

    To stop the SSID broadcast (if you're sure you want to do this), use the
    "Wireless" tab and the "Basic wireless settings" sub-tab.

    Click "Save settings" after making a change.

    After making changes, re-start wirelessly-connected devices to re-configure
    their connection to the router with the new type of security.

  3. Re: Panic question @ Linksys WRT54G Security settings

    I would reset the router. Unplug it and press and hold the reset button or
    some such procedure. Once it's back to defaults, let it broadcast until you
    know it works and gives you an ip address, then screw with the encryption

  4. Re: Panic question @ Linksys WRT54G Security settings

    MyVeryOwnSelf wrote:
    >>Because I have been having such a problem installing this router, when
    >>I finally got past the *password* lockup, I filled in the security box
    >>without being sure of what it was. I thought it was WPA, when the box
    >>says it is WPA2. It has no instruction manual.
    >>
    >>How do I change this, and is it working at all, since I chose the
    >>wrong one?
    >>
    >>Someone please advise me, how I can stop the SSID broadcast and change
    >>my type of security. TIA....

    > I got the instruction manual ("Users Guide") as a PDF file either at the
    > linksys web site or on the CD that came with the router, I forget which.

    I think I saw it on the web site somewhere earlier, but my eyes were
    crossing from all the reading I had been doing there, when I found it.

    > Using a web browser, go to the link http://192.168.1.1/. This is the
    > router's management web page.
    >
    > There are several tabs: Setup, Wireless, Security, etc. Each has several
    > sub-tabs.
    >
    > To change from WPA2 to a different kind of security, use the "Wireless" tab
    > and the "Wireless security" sub-tab.
    >
    > To stop the SSID broadcast (if you're sure you want to do this), use the
    > "Wireless" tab and the "Basic wireless settings" sub-tab.

    If I stop it, does that mean my laptop in my bedroom won't be able to
    connect through *it's* wireless settings? My desktop is the wired host pc.

    > Click "Save settings" after making a change.
    >
    > After making changes, re-start wirelessly-connected devices to re-configure
    > their connection to the router with the new type of security.

    Thanks, this is just what I needed to know and perfectly laid out for
    someone like me [over the hill age wise].
    bj

    P.S. to RBM - You have more confidence than I do, in *my* ability to get
    connected again, after using the "reset" button... but I will do that of
    course, if I have to. Thanks again for all of your help.

+ Reply to Thread